New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results for 7-18-2018 Parts 1 thru 4  (Read 280 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results for 7-18-2018 Parts 1 thru 4
« on: July 19, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
Yesterday was a Vintage Trip to the Range. Drove my Dad's 1976 Chevy Silverado to the range with the windows down and the AM radio blaring away (first time I have driven it since the spring of this year). Tried to take rifles made before 1980, some of them were from the 60's. Rifles were dated from the 60's to the early 80's. Was at the range over 3+ hours by myself. The temp when I got there was about 80F(rising) and the humidity was 52%(falling), the barometric pressure was steady at 29.95 In of Hg, wind was light and variable, in other words, 0 to 10 mph and swirling, mostly coming from the North East. Took extra water and a snack. Had the range to myself for the most part, had one other fellow shooter there for the first 30 minutes or so. He had a Russian Mosin-Nagant trying to sight it in.....his targets revealed that he has a 2" group at 100 yards and a 6" group at 200 yards.....all the 22 were fired at 50 yards and the center fires was 100 yards.

Shooting these Vintage 22's was a trip. Trigger pull was from probably 6 to 8 lbs down to the CZ455 with its new 2.0 lb trigger in it...big difference!! Wanted to test out the new trigger spring. Most of the vintage had those 6 lb + triggers! One of the rifles from 1965, a Winchester bolt action 582 wasn't even on paper at 50 yards! It is now in the gun vise awaiting its fate from the diabolical Boballistic, (have about 10 scopes I could put on it. The rifle came without any scopes on it, just like the rest of the Vintage 22 rifles, but back then, the shooter had better vision also...you guys know what I mean....)

The Vintage 22 Rifles that was taken to the range were the Savage/Springfield 187H from 1960 (Christmas Present and my first firearm), Winchester 582 from 1965 (Dad bought at a garage sale), Remington Nylon 66 form 1968 (bought it brand new in Tucker, GA)....also took the CZ455 with its new 2.0 trigger spring in it and finally remember the clip for the Savage 93F in 17HM2....

The Vintage center-fire rifles were a 1968 Remington 660 in 308, a 1971 Winchester 70A in 270 Win, this was my first rifle after graduating from College, my present to me! The first heavy barrel Remington Varmint in 308 that I bought new in 1980 and the next one was the 7mm-08 in 1981, also bought new.

I have a few more center-fires but did not have any loaded ammo for them, this is my fault, my bad as some would say, but more of my older firearms are older than old shotguns, like the Winchester Model 24 in 16 Gauge from the 40's and a few others from the 50's and 60's......

Attached on this first post are four pictures of the vintage 22 rifles, the second post will be from the Vintage center-fire rifles and the third post will be from the best target

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:04:46 PM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results for 7-18-2018 Part 2 of 3
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 07:34:00 AM »
Part 2 - The follow pictures are of the center-fire rifles
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results for 7-18-2018 Part 1 of 3
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 07:36:57 AM »
Part 3 - The best Targets.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results for 7-18-2018 Part 1 of 3
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »
Oops - Forgot about the 22 targets....

The Winchester 582 target was clean target, no holes in it!! will save it for another trip to the range

The Savage 93F Heavy Barrel has only two holes in it, because the second shot spent hull got stuck in the barrel and would not come out, it did when I got home, but was planning on shooting this rimfire 5 times using the Eley Mach2 ammo.....that problem will be elimated, last night ordered a breakdown 17 bore guide for it, it is on its way!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Range Results for 7-18-2018 Part 1 thru 4
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 07:47:51 AM »
Bo, those are really nice groups.  Btw, I have a Nylon 66, bought used in 1972, for $35.   Nice light gun for kids.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 07:54:03 AM »
Louie - Paid 49.95 + sales tax for it then. I remember it like it was yesterday, remember the store location, the tall redhead sales clerk, that he wore glasses....the Savage Springfield 187H, wanted to check it out to make sure it still worked and shot OK, but that trigger, OMG was it heavy!!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »
Bo, it looks like you had another productive day on the range. Good shooting buddy.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »
Looks like a great day at the range Bo. You got some nice vintage rifles by the way.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 10:34:40 AM »
Thanks guys for all the complements, but Dutch is laughing at us...not even a chip shot for him at 100 yards....after reading his Wyoming post, started to not to post any results for the remaining of the year, his has such natural shooting ability it is simple amazing, a gifted person for sure.....thanks for serving our country Dutch....

This is a funny story - My wife, bless her soul, was getting in while from Aldi's grocery store and Walmart and Dollar Tree, it was about 10 AM....I had back the truck next to the garage door to load up my rifles in secretive fashion....My 07 Tundra is a full size truck with its long bed and double cab configuration, so it isn't a little truck to say the least...I jumped out in the middle of the driveway and waved to her when I saw her drive by the driveway so she could back down the driveway. I have back in for over 50 years now and I don't have a problem with it...cut Crash Carol (my wife new nick name) back down the driveway and back into my truck...I was thinking that she was awful close to the truck when I heard and saw that awful sound!! OMG, she actually hit the truck!! She was startled to say the least, her first words was "what was that", I told her to stop right there and I would take it from there....She was so startled and surprise, she went on to say that she did not see me at all and thought I had left for the range.....she kept saying that she did not see me at all....it did no damage to the truck, you cannot even tell, but it did break the tail light on the 93 Camry....after it is all said and done, we just taped the tail light using Gorilla Duct tape....so she was so sorry, I could not let this one go....I told her to be careful, things like this happens in threes so she need to be careful....funny....after getting back from the range, I would not drop it and made her feel so sorry about her actions....she said that she had done her penance today...but made her still by dinner last night....LOL..... --099-780 

I guess I just move the Tundra to a spot in the driveway where Carol in her tunnel vision could not see....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:05:47 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
Now Bo we all know Dutch is from another planet...he is an amazing marksman! Thanks for the walk down memory lane some nice groups for sure. You let Carol off the hook with just dinner, what a nice guy!  @--0--0123
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

Re: Range Results for 7-18-2018 Parts 1 thru 4
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 05:18:44 PM »
you say vintage, I say functional. some of these new guns look way too futuristic for me. i'll take functional any day.

I think tunnel vision is common in the fairer species. my wife is the same
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: Range Results for 7-18-2018 Parts 1 thru 4
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 09:09:33 PM »
Careful there Bo - those ladies have a way of not forgetting things like that, "Crash" will likely find all sorts of ways to get even if you go too hard on her!

By the way - did the guy with the Mosin shoot with irons or a scope?  Bro in law has a couple of Mosins that another family member gave him.  They're stock at this point, I've shot his rifle once, we were ringing a man-sized steel silhouette easily at 400 yards with that thing, it shot pretty good for something that looked like it was from the stone ages.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad