New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Wyoming Trip Report  (Read 197 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Wyoming Trip Report
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:43:16 PM »
Back from Wyoming and had a great time. We left early Friday (12:45 AM 6/29) and arrived 3:15 PM mountain time. I took a couple of power naps on the way. Put the trailer and truck in the hay shed as per instructions. Very glad we did it was hot and the shade was greatly appreciated. On Monday the temperature made it to 104. Every day was over 95. All I can say it’s a “dry” heat! Yeah right!!! It was still uncomfortable for an old Wisconsin Dutchman.

Saturday morning while waiting for the rest of the hunters to arrive my host gave me an ATV to use. I went out and took the attached pictures of 3 different prairie dog towns. As you can see there were just a few. What you can’t see is the twitching I got in my trigger finger. It was hard to hold the camera still. Something happened to the SD card I took the harvest pictures and shooting  trailers, I lost them all.

These trailers were really neat. They were about 12’ long with 3 shooting stations each. All 3 stations were covered by a tarp on framework for shade. I thought this was a bit odd until sitting in the heat for 4 or more hours burning powder. Behind each station was a vertical gun rack that would hold 6 guns. There was a leveling jack at each corner to level and steady them. What we did was alternate 2 shooters and one spotter per trailer when we were hitting the antelope. Then for the dogs it was S O S (see one shoot).

Now the fun begins! Sunday morning we drove out to the trailers at 5:30 am. Got set up and commenced to banging the lopes. By 10:00 am the mirage was so bad we had to stop. Still managed to lay 21 down of which I tallied 8. Each day was about the same. I managed to harvest 37 with 41 total shots. My longest shot was 547 yards with the 243 Catbird.

The wind would start picking up around noon and blow pretty stiff until the sun started to set. We’d head out to pop dogs around 4. I was much more proficient on p-dogs. I tipped 131 with 138 shots. The longest shot I made was 1241 yards. I did this with the newly named “Whistle Wacker” (270wsm new build).

The coyotes would come out near dusk to clean up the dog town and had a lead supper. I hit 9 out of 9 with the longest shot of 349.

We had to pull out on the 5th to go see an ailing friend near Helena, MT. It was a nice trip and the AC in the truck was a welcome relief. If you get a chance to run old Highway 91 from Helena to Cascade it’s well worth the time. This road parallels the Missouri river. Many places to pull off and float a line; I caught a 12 pound rainbow. Was a yummy Friday night supper at the VFW campground in Cascade. On Saturday we left Cascade and ran 24 miles up I15 to Great Falls and two-laned it the rest of the way home. All total we did just over 2700 miles. Of that the total 4 lane or Interstate travel was just under 400 miles. We love the back roads and back country. We’ve found the friendliest people and great conversation when you’re away from big city and rat race of Interstate traffic.

Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
Re: Wyoming Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 05:44:20 PM »
More dog pics.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 05:56:41 PM »
Nice shooting there Dutch!!! Beautiful pictures no wonder your finger got twitchy!! Sounds like a great time with some good folks glad you enjoyed it!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 06:49:36 PM »
Sounds like a great trip Dutch, aside from the heat.  With those trailers rigged up it would seem the rancher is pretty well equipped for shooting as well - does he have a lot of people coming through there to shoot all summer long?  1200+ yards on a pdog?  Pretty confident I won't be matching that in my lifetime.  I'm surprise the yotes were bold enough to come out for dinner in the daylight hours yet - would have expected the shooters would have taught them better by now!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 08:41:51 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt Dutch , and a fun trip , great shooting .  --09--0 ##$%#16
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 06:05:30 AM »
I am speechless with that amount of carnage!!!  Unbelievable accurate shooting Dutch, well done.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 06:12:23 AM »
It sounds like you had a wonderful trip, got in a lot of shooting, and good shooting at that. Traveling the back roads is the only way to go when you aren't pressed for time and you can really enjoy the journey. I do have one question, and maybe I missed the answer in another post. Do all of the antelope get retrieved and donated to food shelters or left for coyote chow?  @--0--0117 @--0--0117
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »
Dutch - Like Blue and Gut says, sounds like you had a great trip....wow, that is a lot of shooting...had no idea you shot that much....now that does sound like fun....thanks for the pictures, they were great...

Sure was a lot of miles you put on the truck....you are so right, back roads America is the way to go see this wonderful country.....Thanks for the suggestions for traveling there!!

165 critters have gone to critter heaven by my count...wow and the ranges are spectacular!!! a 1200+ yard shot on Pdogs!!...that is amazing...a yote at 349 and a Loop at almost 550 yards....I still shaking my head.....if you harvest 37 loops, how many antelope tags did this farmer have?? Holy cow...now have some idea of the amount of ammo that is needed for a trip such as this....

That was a nice post, enjoyed reading and dreaming about it....thanks again.... --09--0

Forgot to ask, what was Mrs Dutch doing all this time??
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
Mad, I think the yotes were more hungry than scared. Or, it could also be they have gotten used to dog town cleanup after the shooting stops. Not 100% positive just my thoughts. The vultures, crows and magpies also take advantage of dirty dog towns.

Gut, As far as the meat... Everyone there agreed with Crocodile Dundee, "It tastes like dung"! So no antelope liver & onions for Dutch.
Bo, If I told you Mrs DH was staying busy cleaning my guns would you believe me?... Didn't think so!  @--0--0136 She did quite a lot of sight seeing in the area, visited shops, museums and libraries. Please don't tell her that there was 12 guns under the bed in the camper. Or it'd be  @--0--0100 for me.

The landowner had a total of 405 crop damage tags. I found out he paid $10.00 for each of them. He does get reimbursed for any unfilled tags. All filled tags must be taken to a F&W office to be verified then the carcasses are taken to a rendering plant for disposal. He also receives a credit to his account for each filled tag. I'm not sure about this, I think if they take free CD tags then their land gets listed as open hunting area and they can't control who goes on their land. So buy paying for the tags his ranch is private hunting only. Hunters must buy a antelope license, my non-resident doe/fawn tag was $54 and this made it legal to hunt private property with owners permission.

Sunday through Tuesday we'd all go out for antelope first. Wednesday I knew I had to start packing up early so I went out to a dog town by myself. When the guys came back from banging lopes the tally for the landowner was at 302. The other shooters, landowners employees and family were going to continue until Saturday or when the tags ran out. The total number of shooters was 27 including me. Not all would go out in the afternoon for dogs and yotes. The heat was dangerous for some of the guys and some just weren't interested. There was 10 of us dog tippers.

I must confess we'd put distance flags up the night before to a dog town that would come under siege. They also served as wind indicators. The long dog shot I made was the first one on Wednesday morning. As the day would quickly heat up the mirage made any distance (beyond 300) shooting impossible.

It was fun shooting the antelope, because we didn't have to be concerned with their sex or age. The 500+ yard shot was again the first shot of the day. It happened to be a buck and he was just grazing so a relatively easy setup. I managed to get 5 that were on a dead run between 150 and 250 yards. Boy can those things scoot! I was at least familiar with how much to lead them from my trip to Montana years ago. I still missed 3 runners though.

I did ask the rancher about having a TH P-dog shoot for up to 10 people. He's going to check us (TH) out and let me know later in the year. I told him we'd pay him a $5-10 dollar per person per day fee if that would help him decide. I also said we'd stay in town so we wouldn't get in his way. I hope this is alright with anyone interested.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season coming soon
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
 ##$%#113     @--0--0138   that would be fun looks like you can shoot long shot but how about up close   @--0--0102
turkey season was a bust hope deer season is better

dave 1211

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
Dutch sounds like just an awesome trip with some outstanding shooting...traveling the backroads of America is the way to see the country. We just got back from an eight day trip to Sturgeon Bay, WI. Met some great folks up there and the weather was awesome. Lows in the 50's highs upper 70 to low 80's, nothing like the heat you guys were in.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 06:01:59 PM »
That's pretty interesting Dutch - those goats must be incredibly thick to be able to fill 400-ish tags in short order with a couple dozen shooters.  Did he regularly move the trailers to new spots or was there a water source that drew them in or are they just that thick out there? Would have expected those speedy little buggers to head for the next section after a few shots rang out.  I bet loading up 400 carcasses in that heat to haul to the rendering plant wasn't a lot of fun either.

If he gives you a thumbs up in the future for a TH prairie pup shoot I'd love to give that a try and certainly willing to pay for the opportunity (although you'd need to plant me a whole bunch closer than 1200 yards to do anything meaningful with them).  Having the opportunity to put a few yotes down for a nap in the evening would just be icing on the cake.
and enjoy it!

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 06:13:28 PM »
Dutch - I forgot to mention this earlier when you posted that your SD card wasn't working.  My daughter had one in her camera last fall which got glitchy when she had a bunch of important pictures on it, couldn't read it at all on her PC but was successful by having the guys at the local camera shop recovering the card contents using some special software they had.  I think it cost her $20 to recover the files - well worth it given the situation, and much cheaper than buying the software herself & trying to figure out how to use it.  Might be something to consider depending on how critical any of the info is on that card.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 05:21:26 AM »
Dutch - Thanks for the reply...that is funny about Mrs Dutch, but after living with you this long, I bet she knows you like to clean your rifles....LOL....every year my cleaning marathon keeps going and going, just the energizer bunny!!

Wow $10 each, I would be glad to help reimburse him for each filled tag!! 405 Antelope tags, boy they must have them like pest out there....I would love to be part of the team that heads out there in 2019 or ??. Glad TH had the best of the best out there to interface with the farmer....just let us know.....

Was at a minor league game last night with a couple of work buddies and we talked about your trip how amazing it was....something you don't take lightly. As soon as you find out something, please let us know....thanks again for the great comments and trip report...... --09--0 

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »
Dutch- I think I would be very interested in that trip and willing to pay the fees associated with it. I hope it all works out.  @--0--0118
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

New Page 3

Google Ad