New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Leupold New 35mm Mark 5 Scope  (Read 1018 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Leupold New 35mm Mark 5 Scope
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 03:09:23 PM »
Yari - I must agree with you on the expensive stuff.....

280 Yards on 3X...wow, that is Dutch like shot!! Good shooting!! Where I hunt at these days a short range such as a 1.5-6X is all I need as well....I have to admit that I do have a 4.5-30X Bushnell Elite 4500 on the 338 Lapua Mag and have a 6.5-20X Leupold on the Barrett 99E....and for the 7mm STW's and the 300 Win Mags I have only a Leupold 4-14X by 50mm and a 4-12X x 40mm Leupold VX2 respectively....but you are right you don't need a bigger more expensive unless you want to impress someone at the range...LOL...

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 03:09:23 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 05:33:58 PM »
yep, I bought the 3x15 toric for my .300. someday I might crank it up in SD on a whitetail? --09--0 --09--0
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 06:28:30 PM »
I'm convinced that most people buy far more scope (in terms of magnification) than they really need, either to impress their buds or simply because they think someday they might need it.  Then unfortunately they lose shot opportunities because they have it dialed up to the max magnification and can't get on that animal before they find cover.  We'd all rather be in Yari's situation with the skunk than the opposite, trying to find a skunk at 50 yards while on 12X. 

I helped a friend of mine get set up with a scope on his 870 slug gun a couple of years ago - - took me forever to talk him down from a 4X12 to a 2X7, and to zero it at 75 instead of 150 yards.  He's killed two deer with it already, both inside of 25 yards.  I have plenty of "I told you so" conversations with him.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 08:59:26 PM »
      The price of scopes like that are crazy. I have had several straight 4 or 6 power scopes over the years but my eyes are not as good as they once were. My scope of choice now is a 4.5-14x40. I usually have it set on 4.5 or 6 power but crank it up when needed. This year in Colorado  I saw a Elk walking in the timber, on 6 power I couldn't tell if I had a clear shot so I cranked my scope up to 14 power and picked a hole through the trees and made the shot.  In Mn this year I cranked up my scope to look over the rack on a buck before I shot him and he was only about 80 or 90 yards away. I didn't count the points, I shot him because of the frame of his rack and his body was big. I hunt on shooting lanes that are only 6 or 8 feet wide so I don't use binoculars much. There isn't time.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2020, 05:46:43 PM »
Not - that is why you spend the extra money on a good pair or Binos...so you can spot the game and not have to throw you gun up and down crank up the scope and then put it back on your shoulder....I too use the good binos to pick up a shooting lane for me and where to chop or clip some limbs at....but I know what you mean, one year in Colorado hunting Elk, I too have to put my scope on 10X power instead of the 4X of the 4-12X and had to go through the woods and find him....saw him and made the shot....

But today I believe in good binoculars and good scope if you can find the right pair for the right price...for example I was hunting and hunting and buying a couple of years ago, the $200 pair of binoculars I could find, then one day Midway or all places had some Zeiss Terra $400, marked down to $169...plus free shipping...I jumped on that deal and an hour later they took the offered off their web page...or did I just get the last pair. the same goes for the Leupold $400 pair of binoculars, Amazon had them marked down from $400 down to  $219, and I bought them, today those two pairs are my main binoculars that I use hunting in GA in one area that I hunt...most of the pairs of binoculars are 8X power....If you shop till you drop and look at every deal you can find the scope at the right price....

Mad I bet you friend is glad you talk him down...LOL....

I once many years ago was at Gander Mtn store before it closed....was there looking at scope, and struck up a conversation with a guy who told me that he always buys a 10X fixed power scope and that is all he uses....I just walked a way because I know he was serious....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 07:52:36 AM »
A 10X fixed power scope?  Hmmm, not sure such a critter ever existed, and if it did that seems like a pretty poor choice.   --099-780
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 05:35:36 PM »
Mad - If you look at the older Leupolds you can find a fixed 10X in a target scope...and he was talking about getting a 3.5-10X x 40mm and putting it on 10X and leaving tit there. Or say a 4-12X x 40mm and setting it on 10X and leaving it....as I said, I thought the guy was crazy when he said that he put the scope on 10X and leaves it there....I just walked away without saying a word to him...LOL....

My Shilen 308 came with a 6-18X Leupold VX2 scope on it when I bought it. It also came with a bright and shiny black stock with its own felt like (red) wooden crate box. I was amazing. First thing I did with the stock was to sand it down and then spray gray with black specs trunk type paint and it looks nice once I got through with it....I made a bench rifle into a hunting rifle, instead of the other way around....but it still a Shilen DGA 308 to me...one of my prized possession !!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 06:04:22 AM »
My latest Shooting Times magazine has a short article on this scope...Wow, nice scope....put it on my Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC long range rifle....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad