New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Leupold New 35mm Mark 5 Scope  (Read 171 times)

Online BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Leupold New 35mm Mark 5 Scope
« on: July 05, 2018, 02:13:29 PM »
Guys - Did you see where Leupold introduced a 35mm tube scope?? It is their M5C3 3.6-18X x 44mm scope....Wow it runs about $3K for it!!! Ouch...

So which is better, the 1" tube, 30mm tube, 34mm tube or the 35mm tube? Most of my Leupold's are 1" tubes and have served me fine over the years and sent a lot of deer to  the cooler....I also have a bunch or 30mm tube scopes from many other manufacturers....they can really draw in the light...have 8 Leupold's that have 30mm tube, and 4 of them happen to be the VX6...amazing scopes...have an older LPS (Leupold Premium Scope) 2.5-10X x 45mm......and a few VX3 with the first generation 30mm tubes....have Nightforce, Zeiss, Swarovski,Nikon, Konus, S&B, Burris and a few others that I cannot recall now....

About 10 years ago, I was at the range and 3 guys was there (I knew 2 of them) and they were setting up for a 3 gun shoot at the range in a few days...they were trying to decide on the kind of scope to use...they had 6 scopes there laying on a rest...must have been over 15K in scope just laying there....4 of the 6 have 34MM...the first thing I notice was the weight of the scope was much heavier than the 1" or the 30mm tube.....the guy pointed out that that everything is bigger. tube, glass, O-rings, and that adds up to more weight.  Just last year, a younger guy was testing his Labradar Chronograph on his AR style rifles, he had topped both rifles with the Burris Xtreme Tactical scopes on them. Both the scopes had 34mm tubes!! I asked the guy about the weight, and him being a younger type, he still have his full body strength available....he told me that his scope gathers light like crazy and sometimes it is too bright for him....he went on to tell us that he had sunshades for both scopes at home but the added weight makes it a bit clumsy to do a quick sight.....less don't forget the 34mm and 35mm rings are a lot more expensive than the 1" another Ouch!!

Don't know about your guys, but down here in the South, you have seconds to size up a deer and to get the deer in your sight and then pull the trigger...you maybe had 3 seconds to do all of this in.....just ask Split Toe...about 5 or 6 years ago, Split took a buck that he later said that if had more time to size him up he would have let walk, same goes for me too...a lot of deer, would have gotten older if I had the time to size him up, maybe another 10 to 15 seconds!! 

Size does matter - when it comes to weight and the cost of optics.....I think Dutch did a post of this subject a few years ago, not sure.....but with it being the 4th of July, it is time to start going to the range and start with your practice....I have been to the range 4 times this year and will start going at least once every other week if not every week....for those who don't reload, buy you a couple of boxes of different weight bullets for example the 270 Win you can shoot the 130, 140 or 150 gn bullets....go buy a box of each and go to the range and shoot 5 shots each box at 3 different targets..one each for the 130, the 140 and the 150 grain bullets. See which one shoots the best (has the smallest group).....for those reloaders now is the time to check out some new and different loads...some of those new powders that Hodgdon or some other manufacturer.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Leupold New 35mm Mark 5 Scope
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 02:31:13 PM »
i told you i bought a new Tract Toric 3x15x42 1" tube this year. while talking to one of the Jon's at Tract, he made a great point. unless you are hunting after or before legal shooting light, the 1" tube on a quality glass scope will more than get you there. also, the front objective has way more impact on light gathering than the tube size. (we could argue this, but folks a lot smarter than me explained the science to me and i believe them)

if you are yote or pig hunting, that's a different story. gather all the light possible for dark thirty shooting, but start w/ quality glass then go from there

good thoughts bo
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »
Sounds like Leupold is going after bragging rights more than anything with the 35mm tube - would expect that for most of us the advantage over a 34 or even a 30mm tube is hard to actually identify and then convince yourself that the added cost & weight is justified.  Of course for a while at least they'll also enjoy the revenue from the sale of 35mm rings.  I'm pretty much in Yari's camp on this although I did finally pick up a 30mm tube some months ago for a future AR build - bought it mainly because it was a great buy on a nice scope, wasn't really shopping specifically for a bigger tube but once I get it mounted & shoot it some I might be convinced it's the way to go.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 03:22:15 PM »
Mad - Vortex, Valdata Zeiss, Sightron, Ade, and a few others have had their 35mm tube on the market for a few years now...I remember holding the Vortex Razor with its 34mm tube about 5 or 6 years ago.....I think this is the first 35mm tube that Leupold has introduced in the market...have you seen the price.....big ouch!!

When I was growing up you could figure about 25% of the cost of the rifle you would spend on the scope...boy have times changed.....now scopes could easily be more expensive than the rifles are!!! back in the 80's you could figure about 35 to 45%.....heck I remember my first Leupold VX2 back in 72 cost a whopping $80 and the rifle I put it own cost $125...with the $25 rings and base it ran a total of $237 (that includes the 3% sales tax that they have in GA at the time.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:12:55 PM »
My rule growing up was the scope should cost as much, even a bit more, than your rifle. I dont have a $3K rifle so my Leupold 50mm 3x9 from 1996 will have to suffuce. I did go a bit crazy with binos however. Swarvoski SLC 10x 42 and CL 8x30
Getting too old to think of upgrading from what I have
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »
   I only own 2 scopes with 30 mm tubes and I bought them on sale for great prices. The reason for the 30 mm tubes for me was to get more adjustment in the scope for long range shooting.

New Page 3

Google Ad