New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Shockwave Shotguns For Home Protection  (Read 260 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Shockwave Shotguns For Home Protection
« on: June 21, 2018, 02:08:50 AM »
Was wondering what everyone thought about them for home defense or self defense??

About 20 years ago purchased a Mossberg 20 Gauge Pump and took my wife out shooting with it. For me, it was OK could easily handle the recoil, for her not so good!...I study the market and about 10 years ago purchased a Mossberg 410 Gauge Pump. Took my wife out to the range and she could handle it so I feel pretty good about it.....having said that also have a couple of Judges and a Governor that all are 410's and that will easily come out of a woman's hand.....2 of the 3 shoot high so I told my wife to aim low (right at the crotch area) and pull the trigger.....

So I was wondering about the 410 Mossberg Shockwave for home protection and has anybody heard any more about the 1.5 inch long shotgun shells??

Just wondering what yawl's thoughts are
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: Shockwave Shotguns For Home Protection
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:28:54 PM »
Haven't fired one or know anyone who has.  I have no reservations about a scattergun for home defense, but this just seems awkward to me. I would think having a shoulder stock would be a big advantage over this if in a situation where you need several quick shots. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 02:43:08 PM »
Also have or does anybody use the Aguila Minishells for home defense?? These are 1 3/4" long 12 gauge shells....for years and years have written Federal, Remington, Winchester asking them to make some 2" 410 shotgun shells for the Judge type pistols and for the pistol grip shotguns.....

Wonder if the shotgun has to be modified to accept the Minishells??
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 06:23:31 PM »
I had a box in my hand at the Rural King back home a couple of months ago, don't know why I didn't take them with me (duh).  Really curious too how they feed in a regular pump gun.  Chime in guys if any of you have tried them.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 12:32:16 AM »
Wonder if they will work in most pump shotguns?? Have read reports where they did function well in all shotguns!!.....wonder what Agulia is doing (if any) about it. They say the Winchesters pumps will work well with the short shells but not many other work so well.....just curious to see who has used them...next time I'm in our Rural King I will check to see if they carry them, if they do will bring home a box of them and try them out in my shotguns, have most brands from Benelli to Remington to Mossberg to Winchester...got rid of my Charles Daly shotgun was not impress with it....swap it out for the Canik 9mm pistol.......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 02:00:51 PM »
never tried them. if it comes down to it, your going to have a mess either way. i'd rather be over than under loaded. just my opinion

as for ejecting, i'd say it should be fine w/ any pump. probably not semis though

that said, never used them or intend to. I was always told "if your going to do something, do it right". I have a .44 at my bedside
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 06:30:53 AM »
I have no experience with the short shells but I have heard mixed feedback as far as reliability and jamming.  I would definitely test them out under various scenarios before I trusted them for HD.

As far as the Shockwave, I have heard good reviews on them and there is a technique for shooting them.  There are some good videos out there.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 07:21:41 AM »
The Mossberg Shockwave pump is more popular than I imagine....visit to several gun shops in the area and everyone is carrying them but only in 12 gauge..one store carried the 20 gauge....Mossberg also makes it in a 410.....I currently have one of their 500 in a pistol grip 18.5" barrel 410 with the plug out and with 6 personal defense rounds in it....plus there is a Judge loaded with the same ammo within arms reach....

The Agulia is carry at my local Rural King....so I stopped by there on Tuesday and picked me up a box of 20 of a mix of #4 & #1 shot...now I have a old Winchester 1300 that seems to handle the ejection and feed OK...no problems racking them in and out of the chamber.....have a Mossberg 835, a Rem 870 and a Benelli Super Nova that I have not tried yet.....Interesting have an old 12 gauge shotgun that has no markings except a very lightly Marlin embossed on it...the Agulia works good in it...may saw off the barrel and see what happens at the range....and it everything works out, then use it for home protection...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »
Bo - keep us posted on how they do in a live fire practice.  Also be sure to keep that barrel >18" if you go after it with a hacksaw so you're not making your future posts from behind taxpayer funded housing with funning looking clothes.   --7-8-9
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad