New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: butler creek scope covers  (Read 504 times)

Offline Jap51

• Button Buck
Re: butler creek scope covers
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
Madgomer,

I got two covers, one for a 15 in. scope so I ordered the 15 in. 3mm. The second cover was for a 13 1/2 in. scope so I ordered a 13 in. 3mm for that one. I thought that the 14 in. 3mm would be too big....the 13 in. fit tight but ok. Bo's point that the 3 mm would be hard to stretch could happen, if the distance was more than a 1/2 in. to 3/4 in. The other reason I went with the 3mm instead of the 2mm is the difference in thickness. I was thinking it would help with the dampness and protection from dust, plus protection from bumping the scope.
Butts County Sportsmen's Club Member
NWTF Member

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 02:40:09 PM »
Jap51 - You measure your scopes - that is good that you did before you ordered them, and yes preferred the 3mm over the 2mm, the 2mm stretches more than 3mm does and you are right when you say that the 3mm will stretch about 1/2 inch.....but the 2mm ones I got in from Amazon work surprisingly well and they fit almost all of my junk I put on my scopes, like the cant level and angle indicator....the sun shade is another story all together, do you really need a scope cover for a scope with a sunshade, maybe the ocular end of it but certainly not the bell (objective) end of the scope....

You are right when you say that the 3mm will hold up better because it is thicker and can handle the abuse....the center fires that I took to the range with me last week all have the 3mm cover and the 26 Nosler with its Vortex Viper 4-16X, 30mm tube scope has one of those cheapie 2mm covers on it and it works surprisingly well...the Vortex scope covers need to either have a better scope cover. I have sent my contact an email a few years ago telling them about the cheap scope cover that comes standard for their scopes....but since I have replaced most of those type where the have plastic end covers with a two pieces of elastic, one on each side. They are terrible and have to twist them a lot in order to tighten then up.....I have two other Crossfire II that are not mounted and when they get a rifle, they will also get a new scope cover.....

Forgot to mention that I think that the 3mm will hold up to abuse better than the thinner neoprene..not just in the woods but in their storage areas, like a gun safe or a gun rack or any kind of storage where you could bump the scope or just ding it up a bit....You wonder why I bring down a big box of Zeiss Wipes with me each year during out hunt week (or two). We all need to clean our optics and glasses with them at least once a week if not more often.....

After this post early, after I got off, went down to the gun room and played with each of the different types of scope covers, after focusing on the rifles, notice that my pile of Butler Creek covers are growing larger each year. I went back and check my Midway, Cabela's and Amazon orders and saw where I have been buying more and more of the one piece neoprene scope covers.....still remember those days that had the first latex scope covers I saw at Kmart, still have them around, but they ripped and when they split there is no repairing them, just throw them away....the heavy duty Bikini covers that comes on Night Force, Swarovski, Zeiss S&B and other expensive scope have bikini covers as standard covers but there again they are heavy duty covers as well.....think that will be my next project is to go through my scope and evaluate the covers to see which ones I need to replace...and stick with the 3mm thicker scope covers.......
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 03:44:52 PM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 05:00:08 PM »
OK, I understand the protection factor of a bikini.(that may have come out wrong?) what bought the hunting factor? if a deer sneaks up on you, can you remove the bikini w/o alarming the deer? i think of neopreme as noisey

'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Jap51

• Button Buck
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 12:03:23 PM »
Yari

This cover has a "Grabber loop" that's easy to grab for quick silent release. Saying that I think I would take the cover off as soon as I was settled in the stand. That way you would be ready for that wise old Buck trying to sneak up on ya.   -0078
Butts County Sportsmen's Club Member
NWTF Member

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »
Yea I agree with you guys, that smart old buck knows where all the stands are at and visit where you are camping at, at night while you sleep!! Just like Santa Clause!!...LOL...that is why when you get into your stand or blind or where ever you hunt to remove the scope caps, full cover, bikini cover when you get set up...you don't keep your binocular caps/cover on them or even your range finder!! I certainly don't.....in the South here and Jap51 can vouch for how thick it is down in our GA Hunt Club, you have very limited time to get a scope up and ready to shoot. The Southern Bucks don't give you much time at all, just ask Split Toe, Deerhead, Metalman and Cobb Guy they will tell you that you don't have time like if you were hunting deer out west....this is why it is so important to have all your optics ready to go.

It just important to keep all your optics available to use at a moments notice and clean as well You guys always bring up some very good points.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad