New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: butler creek scope covers  (Read 560 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
butler creek scope covers
« on: June 16, 2018, 01:18:39 PM »
i bought a new pair of these for my Tract Toric scope. Tract gave the specs as size 19 and size 30, so that's what I got. the 19 was too big for the eyepiece. it popped off while I was sighting it in. apparently butler creeks margin of error isn't very tight. I fixed it w/ some electrical tape on the inside of the cap, but I thought their specs should be a lot tighter

anyone else use these w/ this issue? I see on different forums that this is a problem
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
Re: butler creek scope covers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »
I always get mine 1/2 size smaller because the exact size will always be lose like you found out .  ##$%#1118   In fact I use my digital caliper on the scopes to find out their real size , some are smaller than their posted size .
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:14:14 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »
Yari - Yes what I have done is to put some electrical black tape (you will have to cut it to size) and put it around the Objective and Ocular lense to make sure the Butler Creek fist properly.....or......replace the Butler Creek with scope covers from Amazon, much cheaper and they work great......similar to this one link below

https://www.amazon.com/ScopeGuard-Alaska-Neoprene-Covers-Scopes/dp/B011F9BV9S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1529178184&sr=8-9&keywords=scope+covers

I have given up on the Butler Creek and gone to the Scope Covers for all my scopes. I have broken to many covers off and some of them will not stay closed when I need them to stay closed so I have replaced them as needed....Get one size larger, this will be useful for the cant level or angle indicator......JMO...
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
I love their covers when they fit but have had problems getting them to fit.  They often are either just to big or just too small.

If you have to stretch them much to get them on they tend to pop open a lot.

I've even go so far as to measure my scopes with a micrometer and still have had sizing issues.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 03:39:28 PM »
Bought a pair for my ML scope a few years ago.  On the objective end it was really snug, so I held it in boiling water for a bit then slid it on - that one has stayed in place & functions pretty well.  The one on the eyepiece fit OK but must have opened up when I was carrying it & either snagged on my coat or a limb & snapped the cover off last year, leaving the ring behind.  Haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 04:10:37 PM »
bo- I've looked at the bikini style. I decided that it would be too much movement to move the cover to my pocket 'in the heat of the moment

I did have them measurements. the cover just didn't fit snug for those measurement. I think the quality controls just aren't very tight
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 06:26:14 PM »
Yari - Yea, you have hit on something that BC needs to look at...their QC isn't what it use to be....when the first came out, got them for all my scopes and the worked fine....they fit even better....over the years, they probably farm the manufacturing out to some foreign entity....not sure just a wild guess. But I know after a while, they would not close or stay close, just kept popping open and breaking off....then had to start using black electrical tape for a snug fit...I have even lot them completely in the woods.....so I tried the bikini style too, this is what a lot of the manufacturers are using today...Zeiss and Leupold use them a lot and all four of my VX6's and all of my dozens of Zeiss Conquest had them on it.....The latest Vortex has caps but are held together buy very stretchy elastic straps, they will not last. Have already pass my concerns over to my contract at Vortex....

I get those scope covers (like the link I sent you) by the dozen and have switched out all of them, well most of them anyway....Many years ago, long before BC, at Kmart (long before their was a Walmart) pick up a dozen of so latex scope covers that stretch out and cover the entire scope. I went back to get more but to no avail, they had sold out of them and could not back order any.....

I will use the Zeiss Wipes on them at the beginning of the hunting season and at the beginning of cleaning season around here....and then place the new or old scope covers on them....

Guess we all have our favorites, at least you have some sort of lense covers for your scope..... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 06:49:55 PM »
Yari,
A friend of mine uses the bikini covers.  He puts them on, then puts a Velcro strap around it and the scope tube, just in front of the turrets.  When it's time to shoot he pops the cover off but leaves it hanging on the scope.  He claims when he's in the stand he takes off the end covering the objective as he says his muzzle is always down, so the only thing he's trying to protect from rain/snow/dirt/etc is the eyepiece end and the Velcro strap keeps enough tension on the cover so it stays in place on the eyepiece until he takes it off to shoot.  Claims that it's never in the way (this is on a muzzleloader, so no bolt or other moving parts to worry about.)  He does it with the bikini straps at roughly the top & bottom and slides the covers off to the right so he can still see what's going on with his left eye while looking through the scope with his right eye.  It all makes sense - I have not tried it myself but thinking about it rather than putting another BC cover on the eyepiece of my ML.  Unless it's raining, I usually sit in my stand with the muzzle up, so would probably cover the objective & leave the eyepiece off.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
mad- that makes sense. I didn't think of that option. that could work

bo- how are the bikinis in the rain? --099-780 --099-780 that came out funny, but really, are they waterproof. also, are they generous enough to cover a tall turret? the few I've seen seem slim and made for a standard scope

thx for the input. I've had good luck w/ my other BC covers. as long as the electrical tape holds, i'll stick w/ them, but like to have options
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 05:02:36 AM »
The Bikini Covers are waterproof! But that brings us to another subject....it is very important that you keep you optics available (meaning clean and the ability to use them in the rain) but also how bout your muzzle end of your rifle, especially during the early part of muzzle loader season.....what do you use then??

I kept about 6 latex gloves in my camper and once a year have to cut the fingers out of them and use the fingers to cover the muzzle end up.....also have used plastic sandwich bags and electrical tape to prevent water to get into the barrel and to keep my powder dry (where have you heard that saying before...LOL..).

Also keep a cleaning kit down in the camper. It is one of those Hoppe's off the shelf types just in case I drop the rifle or muzzle loader in the mud. Along with a small set of patches that I bring down from home....A few years back it rain cat and dogs down there just ask Gutshot and Dutch. That year they were our guest at the club...thank goodness for four-wheel drive Trucks....

Also have designated a "GO-TO" rifle. Something every hunter needs to have or be aware of. It is a Remington 700 LTR. in naturally a 308 caliber. 20" #4 barrel, Box Magazine, have adjusted the trigger down to about 2.5 lbs and it has a Leupold old VX-R 3-9X x 40mm scope on it. Shoots 3/4" MOA all day long and it does not matter what gn bullet you put in it, either a 155 of 165 Grain. It has an 11" RH twist in it. Can take this rifle apart by using two Allen wrenches. Also my Accura II CVA Muzzle loader is also my "GO-TO" rifle, easy to clean and to take down.....I have the old Latex scope cover on the LTR and it is old but works great until they start splitting due to their age....and a Neoprene on the CVA. Will leave them (the covers on my GO-TO rifles until I get into the ladder stand or blind that I am going to hunt that day and then only remove them when I need to......

On a side note, saw a Jim Shockey hunting show a few years back where he was hunting up in Saskatchewan and it was so cold it froze up her trigger on his Centerfire Rifle!!! Now that is cold folks....maybe a few of us remember the show. The monster buck was walking away and he tried everything and finally it did go off after what it seem like 10 minutes of trying...he reveal later on in the show that the trigger had frozen up....I have not forgotten that show!! Of course, I don't hunt when it is that cold, but it can happen to any of us.....so make sure that your trigger works during those Northern cold temps that you boys up North...so tryout those triggers before you go out into the cold or rain or any adverse weather condition....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
The better half has informed me that we need a new box of latex gloves, which means, that I will take down about half dozen new latex gloves with me to camp and cut out the fingers and use them to protect the barrel during muzzle loader season....and other times of the year......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Jap51

• Button Buck
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 02:17:20 PM »
Bo,

Just got some Scope Covers that I ordered 3 Days ago, just came in this afternoon. The company is Scopeshield and the website address is https://scopeshieldcover.com/ Check them out, they come in all sizes and you can get either 2mm or 3mm thickness on the Neoprene. Easy to put on and it has a retainer loop to keep attached. Cost 19.99 for the 3mm, 17.99 for the 2mm. Let me know what ya think. 

Jap51
Butts County Sportsmen's Club Member
NWTF Member

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
Bo,

Just got some Scope Covers that I ordered 3 Days ago, just came in this afternoon. The company is Scopeshield and the website address is https://scopeshieldcover.com/ Check them out, they come in all sizes and you can get either 2mm or 3mm thickness on the Neoprene. Easy to put on and it has a retainer loop to keep attached. Cost 19.99 for the 3mm, 17.99 for the 2mm. Let me know what ya think. 

Jap51
Jap thanks for the link...I like those with all the dust we have on the club during dry weather while riding the ATV's those should work great...Thanks!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 06:42:37 PM »
The DNR here has made sure we don't have to worry about the dust/mud of the ATV getting on our scopes Split, anytime you're on or in a motorized vehicle ya gotta have the gun cased up here.  Kind of a pain in the neck, especially during turkey season when the birds aren't cooperating and you end up runnin & gunnin all morning.  We generally run the edge of the fields on the ATV, stopping about every quarter mile to call.  Always want to have a gun at the ready, every once in a while a Tom responds quickly and you need to be ready to find a tree before he pops his head up.

Appreciate the link Jap - will go take a look at those.  Do you prefer the 2 or 3 mm thickness?
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 07:18:44 PM »
Jap51 - Have got a couple of pair of the Scope Shield Covers (that are camo), the Leupold Covers probably made by Scope shield with the Leupold Logo printed on them and a few others are 3mm think and they only cover the scope....if you installed a Cant Level and/of Angle Indicator you are going to have to allow for that in your sizing as well...most of the products similar to Scope Shield are just for the scope and does not compensate for the Can't level....but I try to leave those on the scope until I get settle in the ladder or ground blind. Then as a part of my set up, will take them off.....have been in the ladder stand and not taken the cover off until I am ready to aim, most of the mornings I don't have to worry about the scope covers...LOL...if you guys know what I mean....So guys love Sun Shades on the end of the scope, this could be anywhere from 1 inch to 6 inches longer....when you size your scope, be sure to look at the actual scope and for goodness sake - measure the darn thing....I have a nice collection of Scope Covers that are shorter than the scopes are, by a lot...Daaa...idot me....

On the 3mm the size has to be correct, that is very important, that's because the 3mm doesn't stretch as much as the 2mm does, the 3mm will with stand the elements better than the 2mm. Having said all of that, have just gotten in some 2mm larger sizes due to the fact that I have installed Cant Level and Angle Indicator on a lot of my rifle, the 2mm will stretch to cover all the components associated with the scope but will it stand up to the elements? don't know yet...got three of them for about $17.95 (for all three covers, not each) from Amazon they are called Called Scope Guard Alaska...

But not matter which brand you are going to buy, make sure about the size and shape of your scope....buy one size larger than you think you will need!! This is what I have started doing and it seems to work of me. I have got a lot of money in each rife scope combination so I don't hesitate to add another $15 to $20 for Neoprene scope covers....

Just some thoughts.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad