New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 6-6-2018 - Part 1 of 2  (Read 519 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 6-6-2018 - Part 1 of 2
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:13:51 PM »
Today at the range it was Rimfire Day....took the CZ 512 Tactical in 22 WMR with it Vortex 2-7X x 32mm Crossfire II and the Ruger American 22 WMR with it Nikon Buckmasters 3-9X x 40mm, the New CZ455 Whistle Pig Barrel in HM2 with the TRACT Optic 22Fire 4-12X x 40mm  and the Savage Mark II in HM2 with its Nikon Buckmasters  4X x 40mm.......

The Ammo use for the 22WMR was the Federal 50 grain, Jacketed Hollow Point in both 22 Mags and for the HM2 used the Hornady 17 grain V-Max also in both rifles.....

All rimfire shooting was done at 50 yards...Weather wise it was 80 to 84 Degree F, 40 to 44 %, the BP was steady at 29.97 Hg....no mirage factor at 50 yards, winds were light and from the west at 3.7 MPH (Avg).......

General Comments -  CZ512 and the Ruger American both shot pretty good after tweaking the scopes on each of them after the first few rounds in each rifle....The new CZ 455 Whistle Pig HM2 Barrel looked very good....but more testing should take place. Need to dig out my Eley Mach 2 Ammo that I got buried in the room somewhere...will get it there tomorrow and start digging....the final target with only one shot in it was from my Savage Mark II...this was the last rimfire that I grabbed and left the magazine at home!! That sucks, but I did manage to get one round down the pipe at 50 yards.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Range Results 6-6-2018 - Part 1 of 2
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
nice groups once you got them zeroed. looks like a good day
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 02:26:58 AM »
Yari - It was late Jan when I started on my cleaning marathon. I cleaned, cleaned and cleaned the rifles that I had to go buy more white golf tees....I have a color system in place, a white tee in the end of the barrel means that the rifle is clean and will need a few fouling shots before they are ready. A black or navy tee indicates that the rifle needs cleaning before it goes to the range with me....been doing this for 25 years or so.....

Yes, you are right, once I tweaked the scopes then they did shoot OK.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 06:30:01 AM »
Looks like a fun day at the range Bo.....
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 06:34:10 AM »
Bo - How do you justify making an adjustment after taking just one shot out of a recently cleaned rifle? I am pretty confident in my shooting ability off of a bench rest, however I would never make a scope adjustment as the result of a single shot. My normal routine is a solid 3-4 shot group, use center mass of the group to determine needed adjustments on the scope or sights, and go again.

What are your thoughts?

BTW you did some great shooting and have those rims dialed in.  @--0--0123
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:05:40 AM »
Gut - You are right, Last night I sat down on the stairs and made the adjustment, had to think about it for a while but I thought that I know this rifle so well, that I have taken it to the range many times and since I scan all my targets in, can go back and look at them and make an educated guess on what, if any, action I need to do...I hesitate at the time I sat down and just thought the same way you did....with only one shot down the barrel...but before I made the 2 clicks up and 2 click to the left, I went back and reviewed my old targets and felt better about making the adjustments.....

I have the new CZ 455 HM2 Whistle Pig barrel on it now, so I can take care of any squirrels in the back yard (make range is 45 yards) and I can wait to see if that adjustment is OK....the next time I go the range I will take the Savage Mark II and this time will be sure to take the magazine with me....Daaa.....But thanks for questioning me....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 12:47:16 PM »
Very nice Bo you some nice groups going on with them Rimfires. I would hate to be a squirrel on your wrong side!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 01:14:17 PM »
Bo with match amo those groups would stack on top of each other!  Keep shooting those I would like to see what you can do with more rounds down range.
 I really like the 22WMR.  Its an under rated cartridge.  My grandfather used one years ago to shoot yotes in Kansas. Back then there was a bounty on $2 for a pair of ears.  That was good money back then!   
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 01:46:59 PM »
Always fun to great the rimfires to the range and get out with them in the fall .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »
Deerhead - I agree with you about the 22WMR - it is a very unrated round....if folks would study the ballistics on it they would be surprised by them.....

The Ruger American Bolt Action 22WMR was bought a few years ago when a guy that I use to hunt with up here in TN who was diagnose with terminal cancer and bought it from him I also purchased a 7mm-08 that he bought new and I am working on that load as we speak and a pistol, the 22WMR and a bunch of power, bullets and brass from him a few months before he passed.....

I have tried a bunch of rounds with it and will continue working with the 7mm-08.....the Ruger American series I am beginning to be impressed with......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »
gut- if i'm on a lead sled, I adjust each shot if it's a significant move over 1". I figure if i'm not solid on a lead sled, when will I be solid? I figure I get one hot per year if i'm lucky and it will be w a clean barrel. just my opinion
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 08:07:17 AM »
Yari - This may sound crazy but I don't use the magnum calibers in the BoSledge....it causes the groups to be larger than they are suppose to...that goes for my longer barrel (26") ones...the 20 to 24" barrel are OK to use in the sledge....Tim McWhorter told me in a phone conversation with him about his rifle that I own. He advertised that it will shoot .3 to .35 groups at 100 yards and I was getting 1/2 to 3/4  MOA out of it...So I called and we started talking, he asked me if I was using a sledge and what did it weight....so I told him and he said that might be my problem right there.....so I tried getting some of the good Caldwell adjustable front sight and the rear being sand bag type and sure enough it got the groups down to a solid 1/2 or under MOA.....

This past Monday when I was on the rest with only the 6.5CM and the 308 along with the 22 WMR, no problems they are the normal groups (I should do better with both 308 and 6.5CM rounds).....

For my magnum have a muzzle brake on all of them now except for the 7mmSTW sendero....I will forgo the group size and give my shoulder a break.....with a brake.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 08:24:27 AM »
Late Last night or early this morning, can't remember, went ahead and ordered a couple of more Ruger 22 WMR magazines that will work with the American Series 22 WMR that I took to the range this past Wednesday...also order me 6 boxes of Eley Subsonic 22LR and a couple of boxes of Honey Badger 9mm Ammo.....

The Ruger American 22WMR is sort of impressing me at 50 yards....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »
Just ran across the data from the Ruger American 22WMR bolt action with the Nikon scope mounted on it....I bought the rifle on 9-12-2016 and the guy passed away on 9-17-2016...OMG.....so close...purchased the 7mm-08 Remington 700 ADL with the Leupold VX2 3-9X x 40 on it on 9-9-2016.....ouch!! A week later he was gone!! So you never know what life holds for all of us.....

Will take the 7mm-08 to the range shortly and see what it can do. Have shot it 5 times already with a couple of changes in scopes...use to have a Konus 1.5-6X scope on it but now has a Leupold VX2 3-9X x 40mm....they guy who passed told me when I bought it that he had purchased it in 1981, that was the first year that Remington had made it as a production round....It shows promise but still need to tweak the load on it...have been using my Rem 700 BDL Varmint Load that I have used for years, with it thinner barrel, might have to reduce the load which in turn will reduce vibration...but a tenth of a gram is all it takes to make it a tack driver...so we will see what happens this summer with it....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 02:07:04 PM »
Deerhead - I agree with you about the 22WMR - it is a very unrated round....if folks would study the ballistics on it they would be surprised by them.....

The Ruger American Bolt Action 22WMR was bought a few years ago when a guy that I use to hunt with up here in TN who was diagnose with terminal cancer and bought it from him I also purchased a 7mm-08 that he bought new and I am working on that load as we speak and a pistol, the 22WMR and a bunch of power, bullets and brass from him a few months before he passed.....

I have tried a bunch of rounds with it and will continue working with the 7mm-08.....the Ruger American series I am beginning to be impressed with......
Bo did you ever try the barns 120gr TTSX BT bullets in the 7x08 tried them in mine and they worked great , in fact that's what I took my buck with last year .

Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

New Page 3

Google Ad