New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Old Western Auto Revolution Shotgun  (Read 256 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Old Western Auto Revolution Shotgun
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »
In searching for the old 7mm Mauser, 1895 Chilean Model, made in Loewe Berlin, Germany (which turned out to be right underneath my nose) found a old shotgun in a double shotgun case...This old Shotgun had markings of Western Auto Revolution, Model R310AB.....see picture....the case contained my Winchester Model 12 field grade and knew it was in that particular case but I had another firearm in it, and it turned out to be this shotgun I am talking about....

After taking the 7x57 picture, I put the 7x57's up and started looking at this old shotgun and checking my inventory...nope not listed, so I try to find the serial number, but could not and find any identification on it. Even the Western Auto was barely visible...had to get out the microscope magnifying eyepiece that is 60 power in order to figure out the R310AB.....According to the Shotgun World, the R stands for deluxe model. It certainly does not look like a deluxe model. The 310 is Western Auto Model number (It is acutally a Mossberg 500AB) and the A means that it is a 12 gauge and the B means that it was sold to department stores, like K-Mart stores, Western Auto stores and a few other stores....

This has a 22 inch barrel and has a What Mossberg called an Accu-Choke on it....it has no plug, gone! The barrel is plain no vent-rib, nothing...just a plain old shotgun. Will not put anything over 2 3/4" in it and low brass, just to make sure it works and it is safe to shoot! Eeeks!! If have looked at the three other Mossberg's that are in the inventory and know where Mossberg like to put their serial number at but cannot find it anywhere...if anybody has any ideas, I'm open to them.....

Found out that the Mossberg 500AB was made from the mid 60's to mid 70's and I bought it from Dad who bought it at a garage sale in the early 90's...I think I gave him $75 bucks for it and he bought it for $50.....

Bo

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:47:58 PM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: Old Western Auto Revolution Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:02:28 PM »
I used to hunt with an old Ted Williams (Sears brand) 12 ga pump that looked quite similar, but a fixed choke.  It was something Dad got cheap (appropriately so) from a guy he worked with that was strapped for cash.  Can't recall for sure but it seems like the serial number was on the bottom of the receiver on that one, lengthwise on the edge of the loading port.  Memory may be failing me, and the gun is long gone, but that's what my memory is telling me at the moment.  I'd be willing to bet that piece is pretty safe with just about any 2 3/4" load, but certainly makes sense to start off easy.  If it will feed them, it could be a decent little home defense gun with those little shorty shells they're selling these days.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 03:42:33 AM »
Madgomer - My first shotgun that I bought was a Sears Ted Williams, 12 gauge pump also. I was going on a Turkey Hunt in the North GA Mountains (The area of Lake Burton). This was around 1969....I do remember that CCR (Credence Clearwater Revival) was being played on the AM radio (what was FM radio?? LOL). My 64 Chevelle had the Delco AM (Amplification Modulation) Radio in it!!! But at that time could not tell you where the serial number was on the Ted Williams....I bought a Browning BPS shotgun in the late 70's and sold the old Ted Williams Shotgun....From the Ted Williams to the Browning, all of them had a long length of pull on them....I was still a young skinny kid back then...LOL....

The website listed below is one of my most cherish website for good old info about shotguns, tells you who made the shotgun and what their model number was for the Kmarts and Sears, JC Penney, Montgomery Wards and Western Auto Stores.

I have check it out and it will feed the shells and lock up, so think it the firing pin is good, then it should fire....yea, I hear you about the 2 3/4" shells some good practice rounds for sure that goes into it. Had a hard time finding a box of the 2 3/4" that I have buried in the gun room. Went right to them, just had to get down on my knees for them, ouch...since I don't have any knees these days..just replacement ones....LOL....

For my home defense, have another Mossberg this one is a pump 410 with a pistol grip also have a couple of Judges around the house here.....

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 05:05:03 PM »
i'm w/ mad on this one. looks like a sears, but back then they all probably looked the same

sorry I can't help
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 06:23:24 PM »
The old poly choke, my brother had one on a bolt action Sears 12 gauge. Never cared for those chokes. I've got my Dad's old 22LR auto loader which is a JC Higgins from Sears. Those were the good old days...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

New Page 3

Google Ad