New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 7x57mm or 7mm Mauser or 275 Rigby  (Read 208 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
7x57mm or 7mm Mauser or 275 Rigby
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »
Guys - I said I would pull out and dust off the old 7x57 Mauser or the 7mm Mauser or the 275 Rigby.....and take a picture of them and post it here on Talk Hunting......

The top on is the oldest one got it probably back in the mid 60's...no scope had good eyes back then...LOL...total cost of a whopping $35 back then which took me two summers to save up for....started when I was 13 and finally bought it from the Candler Road Army-Navy Store on Candler Road, Decatur, GA.....cannot hit the broad side of the bar with it..shot at many deer with this rifle and only hit 2 deer with it. Miss a couple of nice deer with it.....notice the straight stock on it.....

Next is the Ruger No.1A, short 18.5 inch barrel, with a Leupold 3-9X x 40mm Scope mounted on it. Got this rifle in the mid 80's This was the first Ruger No.1 that I sent to E.Arthur Brown in Minnesota for their tune up of the Ruger No.1...this cost me $315 bucks and it was worth it, now it shoots 1 MOA all day long....before I sent it to them it would shoot 1/2 MOA up to 2 MOA, from the same loads!!! could not figure it out...but they could, did and sent them four more Ruger No.1's to them.....Still the best looking single shot rifle on the market today but its design and performance is terrible. IMO, but maybe you have one that shoots lights out.....This rifle is the one I have written about that I had two monster deer walk by me in a four days...this rifle is the one that had the 6X fixed Leupold on and could not get them in focus, both deer was that close!!!

The third one down it my beloved Cooper M22, a single shot. It has a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10X mounted on it....this also was my first Cooper and boy was I impressed with it accuracy...still today my go to rifle. Almost took it on Safari in 2011 at the urging of the Safari Guide...Purhcased this rifle probably from the mid 2000. Got the Sierra 140 gn Game King shooting through the same hole about 100 yards...this is a rare rifle, have not seen another on anywhere around like it.

The forth and final on down is another Cooper. This one is their model 52, a repeater. A Zeiss Conquest, rare,1.8-5.5X is mounted on it. This too is a very accurate rifle, it shoots and handles really good. It too like the 140 gn but not the same load as the Cooper M22

The oldest on love the 175 gn Sierra GK, the Ruger #1A likes the 154 Hornaday SST the best. The Cooper M22 loves the 140 gn Sierra GK and the Cooper M52 like the 140 gn also but like a different powder and amount....

When I first bought the box of ammo for my very first 7x57, The Remington Ammo said 7mm Mauser, 140 Point Soft Point. The second or Ruger #1A was a 7x57 and both Coopers were the 7x57...not the 7mm Mauser or the 275 Rigby......   

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
Re: 7x57mm or 7mm Mauser or 275 Rigby
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 07:56:32 PM »
Very Very nice brother Bo. Quite a collection of accuracy there with one exception... nuf said.  -010-9-8
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:07:47 PM »
whoever has the most toys at the end wins. nice collection --9-908 --9-908 --9-908

the way I see is, you could shuffle and deal your toys out(like a deck of cards) to fellow TH members and still have too many guns left over after a couple rounds ##$%#11 @--0--0105
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 03:50:55 AM »
Yari - Every year try to rotate the calibers to the camp down in GA...one year it was the 308's another year it was the 280's, the next was the 270's, and one year it was the Remington Sendero's (the old blued ones) in 5 different calibers...had to be awake in the mornings to match up the right ammo with the right rifle...LOL...all of them look alike, with the same scope on them (5 Leupold's 4-12X x 40mm with target knobs, 1/8" clicks and fine crosshairs) I cannot tell them apart. Have to read the caliber on the side of the barrel to make sure which caliber it is....LOL.....

Have not decide on which Caliber to take this year down to GA, it is too early in the year....but it may be time for the 260's, the 6.5 Gendel, the 260 Rem in the Savage model 10, the 26 Nosler, this is what I'm thinking, still working on the 264's calibers loads these days.....

Thanks Yari....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »
Some nice rifles Bo. Thanks for the pic.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »
Guys - Thanks for the nice comments. It was fun thinking about them, a walk down memory lane with the first and second 7x57mm Mausers.....yep, the good old days back then.....As far as the Coopers go, the first one was down on a paid hunt, the guy ask me to take out 30 does on his private property, he had the permits to take out 50.....I told the guy that I had only 9 rounds of 7x57 left....but had plenty of 308-155 gn Berger VLD in the case in the truck....Well took 4 does that day. All head shots, from 65 yards to 105 yards, all of them dropped in their tracks.....

Also took a nice 8 point buck the next morning with the 308, it was foggy, overcast rain possible in the area when he showed up, never hear him coming, he was just there.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad