New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Plastic Cases  (Read 401 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Plastic Cases
« on: May 27, 2018, 12:47:14 PM »
A few years ago, read an article about some plastic cases taking the place of brass....after reading it did not give it much thought, just shrugged my shoulders....but with all the technology of late even with plastics, actually polymers, this latest article in the June issue of Guns & Ammo Magazine about the new polymer cases from True Technology located near or close to Dallas, TX., makes you stop and think....

Our Military will be the first to get it hands on production ammo, and I'm sure they probably have been testing it for some time now. but after reading the article over again and now picking up on the details of it. Wonder when it become available for the consumer (like us chickens) to check out and to hunt with. I know they are making the 308 Winchester and I just happen to know a guy who owns a bunch of them, would like to get his hands on this ammo just for text purposes....Would love to get my hands on their test rifle too! They don't test this ammo with any cheap equipment, they used an Accuracy International AXMC rifle, on Gunbroker it runs around $8500...ouch...and the groups were very small like 0.33 inches groups....and the average was 0.48 inch!! OMG....

The pros would be our troops could carry more rounds of ammo, it doesn't expended "shells" if you can call them that, don't heat up!! all the heat goes into and down the barrel....humm....and you cannot reload the ammo can you?? I did not read it anywhere in to article, it did not address it? If so, I missed it....I cannot see any cons at this time but I'm sure there are folks on here like Dutch, Yari, PJ, Gutshot, Madgomer and others who would find some sort of problem with this ammo....Let the troops use the ammo in the M15 and the M4 rifles and see how it does. A million or so rounds should give you a good in-site on how it will perform on the battle field.....

So would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this ammo....I for one am interested in 308 and the 223 ammo and cannot wait to get my hands on some of it.......Wonder how it would work in an Savage, Ruger, Remington or Winchester...some $500 and under rifle??
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: Plastic Cases
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 03:42:46 PM »
The do-gooders would never stand for this, I mean think about it, now you could sneak a plastic gun AND plastic ammo through airport security and wreak all sorts of havoc (yeah I'm kidding)!

I saw an article about this a few months back, forgot all about until your post.  Have a lot of the same questions.  Can't imagine it would be practical to reload the stuff, but who knows.  I could certainly see modern plastics or composites handling the shot at least once however, but really curious about the advantages vs brass or steel.  Would seem like extraction could be a challenge at a high rate of fire, especially in a dirty chamber.  Will be interested in learning more . . .
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
when I started reading this I thought you were talking gun cases. I thought bo was searching hard to write  something --099-780

i'm sure the plastic they use is different than 'generic plastic'. in extreme cold, will it be brittle? in heat, will it swell?

given the choice, i'll take brass until there is some hard details. interesting though
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
Yari - Don't have or know how many years left but glad I have plenty of brass to use for the rest of my days....yes the polymers of today are in our rifle stocks, in our pistol frames, and in our binoculars and spotting scopes, not sure about scope just yet, at least the ones I can afford, mostly aluminum......It slowly creeping in our lives, so why not ammo...like Madgomer say the do gooders won't stand for it...and like in true democratic posturing, they will say it will be a hazzard to the public health, while a bunch of them will invest in the technology....

I did read something on real plastic cases a few maybe 7 to 10 years ago, and never gave it a second thought..but with today polymers and chemist working on their science, it only a matter of time before they came out with a polymer, not a plastic case that will hold up to the riggers of the load, fire, eject process.....well that day is here.....sure they have a long way to go, but look how far they have came...I had to read it twice and think about it...will probably read it again....but why not polymer bullets, they already have the tips of the bullets designed, why not the whole bullet??

But I must admit that I have every single piece of 270 Win Brass (and then some) that I have fired in my Winchester Model 70A from 1972 to present day.....

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:02:13 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 10:26:01 PM »
Bo - on the bullet side of things they're already doing polymer/metal blends.  Basically metal powder stirred into the molten polymer & injection molded into the bullet shape.  Can't recall who was doing that, but I think they have some of those rounds on the market now for 9mm??
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 06:22:33 AM »
Happy Memorial Day everyone. God bless all of our fallen heroes. Thank you doesn't convey the real honor we should pay to our living heroes.

Back on point. There is not much additional info on this website ( https://www.pcpammo.com/ ) Makes for interesting reading, chin rubbing and scalp itching. I believe reloading at this time is NOT and option. Have seen a few of these rounds. When asked to give an opinion my response was not very positive. Knowing what is at stake in a real world scenario more testing and proof of performance is required before anyone should bet their life on it. Here's another interesting article: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/ammo-review-pcp-polymer-308-winchester-ammunition/

Very good thought provoking topic Bo, thanks.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:50:06 AM »
Head scratching is right DH where did the pieces from the spent round go?? Does it fall into the mag? I don't know but I think I will stick to what I know for a while. Thanks Bo for the post.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »
I always respect what Dutch says about things, he has been there and done that!, that even the best of us cannot imagine.....so when it come to plastic or polymer, I trust his judgement.....

As far as reloading goes, I can see that.....I would try that, but I'm sure it has it benefits on the battlefield.....sure would be nice to hear what the troops think about the rounds instead of hearing from the manufacturers who always thinks their products are the best.....

But no one knows what the future holds for us.....I still would like to buy/try them out in one of my 308's.......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »
Insight;  this is not brand new...just not widely publicized...my son shot the ammo in several calibers...while at Aberdeen Md. about 14 years ago (Army Test Station) I have run a few down the tube in 5.56 (.223), 7.62 and .300 Blackout...which is all commercially available...even from Sportsman's Guide...the casings are a combo of brass (or steel) and poly...Mfg's say it's not re-loadable...accuracy was medial...but for it's intended use that's acceptable...its 30%lighter than all brass cases. and it is not re loadable...I doubt that it would make a good hunting or egg shooting round...but for the fellow who has extra cash, no time or equipment to reload...they are fine paper punchers or pumpkin busters.

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Online Madgomer

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 09:37:55 PM »
Two Tales, I assume that 30%weight saving is for the casing alone?  Any idea how significant the savings are when comparing fully loaded cartridges?
and enjoy it!

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 06:29:31 AM »
Mad, that was the estimated carry weight saving of fully loaded to specs for NATO rounds....case alone is significantly less. they have 70-80% less metallic substance in each case

TT @--0--0107
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:33:27 AM by Two Tales »
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

New Page 3

Google Ad