New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Good Used Rifles  (Read 716 times)

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
Re: Good Used Rifles
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 12:30:28 PM »
I've bought a lot of my JM Marlins at Pawn shops, the one that still eludes me though is the .35, seems Marlin didn't make a lot of them or people just hang on to them! The good thing about my local go to pawn shop is they'll allow me to buy a gun on layaway as most of the time when I find something I want at the price I want I don't have the cash to buy outright!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 03:50:34 PM »
I wonder if that's a regional thing Viking.  Most of the Marlin lever guns I see (centerfire) are 30-30, but it seems like after that .35 is the next most common.  Almost grabbed one a couple of years ago, but the bore made me nervous so let it go.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 05:59:00 AM »
A few years ago, picked up a NIB Marlin X7 VH in 308...it is basically a bolt action rifle with the combination of a Remington with a Savage Trigger with a light weight heavy barrel, the reason why I say light weight heavy barrel because it feels light when I pick it up....but the darn thing has the same diameter as a #4 light varmint barrel (according to Shilen Website) I added a break and a Vortex CF II 3-9X x 40mm Scope on it and have a shade under $500 in the rifle, break and scope...shoots about 1 MOA at the range...see photo...I picked it up in Jan or Feb...so not only is buying a used rifle such as a custom rifle or a cooper or similar but it is also a good time to buy one now because nobody is interested in a deer rifle now

Sure I have a couple Marlin 336 in 30-30 and one in 35 Remington as well...with the new Hornady LeveRevolution ammo these rifles went from 2 to 3 inch groups down to 1 inch groups...so I switched all my ammo out.....had a 444 Marlin Glenfield at one time and it was rough and refinished it and sold it to a guy that was going black bear hunting that same year....was using the 240 grain ammo...back then my eyes were still pretty good, so I did not use a scope, just open sights....

Yes, Marlin makes some very good rifles, hope they stick around for a long time.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad