New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Good Used Rifles  (Read 862 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Good Used Rifles
« on: May 25, 2018, 06:08:47 AM »
There is nothing wrong with a good used rifle. I buy a lot of them...matter of fact, more than half of my Cooper were purchased used. My 243 Blaser was used, my McWhorter 270WSM was a demo rifle it was used...my Steyr 280 and 308 were used.....so I don't shy away from used rifles at all....just be aware that just maybe you are going to have to fix something on them....My Shilen DGA is used, in 308 Winchester, I'm the third owner of it....and know exactly how many shots have been down the barrel and how great a rifle it really is....it was built in 1981 and a safe queen, and the second owner was a Methodist Priest, he was a handloader and always tinkering with the load and today it is one of my most accurate rifles, it came to me as a bench rest rifle, and I turned it into a hunting rifle.   

For example, have the 280 Rem in a Steyr M96 ProHunter. One of the scope base screws is stripped out...did not find this out until after I got it home and started mounting a scope on it....so what did I do? I purchased this rifle in 2010 and have been talking to the range as is with one of the four scope base screw holes stripped out. Well, as is the darn rifle shoots the 140 gn Sierra GameKings under half inch at 100 yards. I do have an old Meopta Artemis on it with is steel tube which I think that helps to add to the stiffness of the whole mount. I took this rifle with me to the range just a few days ago and it shoot really well. Tweaked the scope and ready to take it again to the range.

The other problem I have is that the Cooper M52 in 280 Rem, the extractor is broken and have to manually pull out the shell with it. Remember this is a phenomenal accurate rifle using the Hornady 154 gn bullets. Have shot this rifle over 100 times and all the groups have been dime size or smaller groups, but the extractor is bad and need either to send it back to Cooper or have a local gunsmith to take a look at it....did not notice this till it was at the range....it has a Leupold VX6 on it and never had to do any adjustment to it....once I got it sighted in and on paper and almost in the same hole....

Does this affect accuracy, heck no. I do have a Old Sauer (mid 80's) rifle that I need to get the scope rings screws fixed, this is my fault...but the rifle has been "in repair" for sometimes now. It is one of those switch barrel rifles, it came with a 30-06 barrel and got a 25-06 barrel for it in the mid 90's. This is a great rifle, that I took on both Safari in 30-06 configuration and then put the 25-06 barrel on it for my Antelope hunt out west.....and have taken a ton of GA deer with it as well....

So in my opinion, you got to watch what you buy in a rifle, if you buy a good one, like a Cooper or Steyr or a Kimber, you cannot go wrong with it being used...why would anybody want to sell an accurate rifle? Probably because it has some minor flaw in it that the original owner doesn't want to address.....but just look at both the Steyr and Cooper targets from this past week. Both of these rifles have issues with them but due to their accuracy, I am willing to over look their minor problems...just like our wives do us...LOL... 

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
Re: Good Used Rifles
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:43:57 PM »
I once bought a used Remington Varmint 243 because it had 30mm rings mounted on it....knowing that the previous owner probably would take care of his rifle better if he had a 30mm tube scope on it.....after I bought it, the owner of the store told me that it was originally his rifle and he had a Zeiss mounted on it with a 30mm tube. He told me that he had taken deer at 400 yards with the rifle I smiled and said that is exactly what I was looking for...after our conversation, he told me that it liked 70 gn pills and then I told him that I bought it simple because it have 30mm rings on it...he smiled and said that he had never thought about it that way....using 70 gn pills in it tell you right now that he was right, it does like 70 gn bullets and shoots them through the same hole at 200 yards.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 06:44:27 PM »
70 grain seems light for deer isn't it? especially at 400 yards

I bought my 44 ruger super redhawk used. I think it scared the previous owner. it looked new
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 09:31:48 PM »
Yeah Yari, I think in general you get deals if you keep your eyes open on the heavier calibers (short or long guns).  I bought my super Blackhawk used, and my Ruger #1 in 7mm mag.  I think plenty of people end up with "too much gun" from a recoil standpoint and then unload them after not too many rounds when they find them not fun to shoot.

Bo - agree with you.  The majority of the guns I have were purchased used or handed down from Dad/Grandpa.  I can't match up to your totals by any stretch but I think I only have about 4 or 5 that I bought new.  I intend to shoot what I buy, it would kill me to have a gun that I was afraid to shoot for fear of ruining the value, so a few scratches & dings are not a worry for me provided it looks like it has a good bore and reasonable maintenance.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »
Aside from my own AR builds and the Axis I bought last year, all of my rifles have been bought used or passed on through family.

I could say the same for most of my shotguns as well.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »
I agree Bo I have several used guns that are shooters. I bought my Ithaca Mag 10 used- It kills ducks and geese like a plague. I bought a Winchester .22 mag years age still shoots straight. I had a Savage 110 30.06 for about 6 months that shot quarter size groups at 150 yds with 3 different brands of ammo- I got talked into selling it to my buddy- It still shoots like a dream 2 yrs later. I bought a Winchester Model 70 .270 package gun used from a pawn shop. Replaced the scope and boom shooter!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 05:44:10 AM »
Yari - I agree that 70 gns is a bit light for deer, my minimum for deer is a 100 gns in a 243 or larger like a 25-06 or a 270......Forgot to mention that the original owner was from Southern Louisiana and he told me the stories about him taking several deer out to 400 yards using a 70 gn bullet in the 243....Never said whether I believe him or not....but for this 243 it does shoot the 70 gn Ballistic Tip bullet very well even at 200 yards...I use it for yotes and other predator hunting these days....

The rifle is a standard 80's Remington 700 with 24" Varmint barrel.....that prefers the lighter 60 to 70 gn bullets over the 100 to 107 gn heavier bullets....it came with a HS Precision stock on it when I purchased it in the late 90's and all I did was to change put a scope on it with a 30mm tube...

Wait a minute need to checked it - Yep it is a Leupold, VX3, 4-12X x 50mm with a 30mm tube mounted on the Remington 700.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 06:18:19 AM »
BLue - I too have a 270 and it is in a Model 70A, the cheap pine stock, on the model 70 action...I bought it for $125 back in 71.....but I used it for the first two years (when I had good eyes, way back when) but then a situation came up that I need a scope and did not have one on it...so in 1973, I purchased a Leupold VX2, 2-7X x 33mm for $80 and use their one piece steel base and steel rings. It has been a shooter every since I can remember. Attached is my very first target saved and it shows the 270 being a shooter. I was using a 130 gn Winchester Bronze Point ammo (for runner to the Ballistic Bullets we have today)....bought my from a Army-Navy/Pawn Shop....bought my first deer rifle there it was an surplus 1894 Chilean Mauser 7x57 could not hit the broad-side-of-a-barn with it but did manage to hit a 6 point deer with it...LOL...then a year later bought a surplus British 303 Enfield Mark IV with it and then bought the 270 from the same store....LOL....so I trust the Army-Navy/Pawn shop store, my understanding that it is still there today.....never replaced the barrel in either of the first two rifles, left them as is and the barn that I was trying to hit along...LOL...

The rifle today shoots like a dream shots well under 1 MOA using the 140 gn Ballistic Tip....IMR4831 works best with the 140 gn.....This is the rifle that I have saved all the brass I every shot in it.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 11:01:29 AM »
Yea Bo I would say that is a shooter alright!!! My .270 isn't that old it's a newer model 70 with the plastic stock and it came with a cheapo scope and sling. I looked at the barrel with a bore light at the shop and realized it hadn't been shot too many times the bore appeared smooth and clean so I bought it for 160.00. I put a better Nikon 3x9x40 on it. It shoots 130 gr Winchester power points the best. I was surprised it was so accurate but I like it!! You mentioned the 7X57 I bought a used Remington 700 BDL in 7x57 in 1990 it shot very well but I didn't know what I had back then so I traded it for a Remington 700 BDL in .300 Savage built in 1980 I still have that gun today and it is a shooter as well. I guess my favorite round is the .300 Savage because it shoots so well. I have a Savage 99 as well and both of these rifles are dead on accurate. Almost a.308 Bo but not quite!!  ;D I love that .300 Savage.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 10:30:01 AM »
Blue - Love the 7x57 as well....today I own four of them...my first one was from the mid 60's, a old army-navy store "find". It is a 1894 Chilean Mauser. Used it for many years and about every 5th or 6th round it would hit its mark....so I think I took two deer with it in about 7 years. Back then there were no deer in GA at all!!!
Second 7x57 was a Ruger No.1A, the short one. 18.5" barrel and believe me it is short...reminds me of a youth rifle....would not shoot, none of the 5 No.1's would shoot at all, had to send the all off to get "fixed" at E. Arthur Brown in Garland, Minn. Now they all shoot 1 moa or better....the 3rd one was my first Cooper it is a single shot model, a Model 22. Never seen another one on the market or anywhere....and then a few years later got a Cooper M52, a repeater, and shoot almost as good as the first Cooper....

Love the 7x57 caliber second or third to my 308's and 270's.....

Need to get them all out and take a picture of all of them....that would be a good picture...and post if here on TH.....

Did you know the Savage 300 was what the Army was looking at to replace the M1 carbine and then M1 Garrand with not the 308 back in 1951.....but the 308 Win is a derivative of 300 Savage 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:33:27 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 11:19:15 AM »
Bo I think you should post that picture I would love to see them rifles!!. I did not know the Army was looking to replace the M1's with the Savage but I am not surprised. If I remember right the Navy was thinking of using the .300 Savage as a sniper round but I could be misinformed I think I'll look it up this evening after work. Hey the .308 is an awesome all around round in my book.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »
Blue - The 300 Savage round was developed from its parent case a 250-3000 round (257 bullet going 3000 fps at muzzle) and when the Army came looking for a replacement for the 30-06 and the M1 30 carbine. The Army went to the public ranges to see what the Civilians were shooting. Come to find out that they had modified the 250-3000 round into the Savage 300, which was a wildcat at the time, later one Savage made it a standard round, but the Army tagged the 300 Savage round as the T51 (1951) and started tweeking with it and came up with the 308 Winchester...so everybody thought, even me, that the 308 is a shorten 30-06 and maybe that is what the Army finally came to but the 308 has it beginning as the 300 wildcat Savage round......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 05:37:33 AM »
Pawn Shops are good sources of good used rifles, but these folks are smart and they do their research and know how to price these rifles.....There is one or two Pawn Shops that I frequent and it seems like their bolt gun inventories are always increasing and it sure seems like their AR inventories are increasing as well due to their sales of these type rifles.....Before these folks put prices on the rifles, they do their research and generally have a couple of employees that are into guns that know their prices...so do your home work before you go in there.

I love my Kel-Tec PMR 30, it is a 22 WMR semi-auto pistol (the magazine holds 30 rounds) and would love to buy their Carbine (CMR-30) but the darn thing looks like a grease gun...holy cow it is one ugly rifle/carbine, but it does use the same magazine as the PMR-30....Was in a Pawn Shop the other day and saw one of these Carbines and they had it priced $150 under MSRP (of $650). I told the guy behind the counter that the $500 price tag is about the lowest I have seen around town. One national chain store had it for full MSRP and the other one had it priced at $600....

The Pawn shops had many Browning's Remington's and Savage's in mostly the 270's and 30-06 lines (they had a couple 308's but I did not bite!) sort of looking for a 25-06 round, have a couple of rifles in that caliber and love it, would like to get a older varmint style Remington in 6mm. Do not have any of these in that caliber...think the 6mm Remington out performs the 243 Win (the 243 parent case is a 308 case and the 6mm parent case is the 7x57 case).....

So final work, before you go to your local pawn shop, do your home work, know your prices and be flexible, eye-ball one or two bolt rifles, handle them, check them out from head to toe, go home and find out all you can about these used rifles. As their AR Rifle inventory grows, they will want to move the bolt action rifles out. So come back into the Pawn Shop and play lets make a deal with them....

As far as optics goes, stay away from used optics unless you know its (that product) history. Know the manufacturers warranty...I have bought a few used Leupold scopes and then sent them back to the factory to be check out. One of those scope could not be repaired so Leupold replaced it without charge. The other one they fixed and sent it back to me and it has worked perfectly every since. Even if it is a Swarovski or Lecia or Zeiss scope, you got to know the manufacturer warranty before buying a used optics....my opinion, buy your optics new....and be ready for sticker shock....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 12:42:29 PM »
Thanks Bo I thought the .308 was a shorten 06 as well. I do know that the .300 Savage with a 150 gr or 180gr bullet is a deer and black bear killer out to 250-300 yds. I have a buddy who took a nice 5x5 Elk with his Model 99 in Montana at 210yds.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 06:47:56 AM »
The Savage-Shilen in 260 Rem is a used rifle, a one owner....the rifle started out as a 308 from the factory, but the guy (Michael) whom I am buying it from told me that it has been to the same gunsmith twice, one to replace the 308 Barrel with a 24" long 260 Rem barrel and again last year when he was talking to a Bench Rest shooter who told him that a 21.5" barrel would be better, so it was back to the same gunsmith to have 2.5" taken off and re-crowned at 11 degree....

Also Michael said that there has been only 57 rounds down the barrel since he has had to barrel shorten....is this a bad sign that it is not a shooter?? did the Gunsmith screw it up?? why is he selling it, no response on that question.....so I am getting excited to see it when I can get down to GA and get it from Deerhead....

I am still a believer in a good used rifle(s) I would say that about 45% (exactly=44.910%) of all my rifles, stocks and barrels though-out my entire life has been used or previously owned....just figure it out had to go into my files and add a column (yes, to my big firearms spreadsheet) to whether I purchase it New or Used....that includes the barrels, stocks and entire firearms assemblies...pistols, kits, shotguns are also included in the count.....

You cannot go wrong with purchasing a good rifle...just got to be careful, do your research and know what you are getting.....

Was checking early this morning (1-25-2019) on my 10 Coopers Rifles and the count is 6 new and 4 used or previous owned - Everyone one of them are shooters - new or used!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:31:14 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad