New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results for Wednesday 5-23, part 1  (Read 174 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results for Wednesday 5-23, part 1
« on: May 24, 2018, 07:00:04 PM »
It has been a while since I had anything to post. Have been out to the range a few other times, to shoot pistols and to plink with the 22 Mag and a few other rimfire rifles....

Late yesterday took 4 rifles with me. Let me say that am still working on loads for all of them....the first one was a Steyr Pro Hunter M96 in 280, it has a older Meopta Artemis 2-8X x 42mm, great scope....I purchased this rifle while down in Atlanta at a Acworth Pawn Shop, I was there to pick up a 22 Colt Diamondback that I had purchased off of Gunbroker...so I saw this Steyr 280 and knowing how accurate my wife's 7mm-08 is, had to buy it as a back up to my other 280's...yea right...this one had a stripped screw out of it and wasn't sure about it whether to drill out the 6-48's with 8-40's (still not sure) but will work on it for a couple of months maybe 6 months or so and take it to the range with me every week just to check it out...here is the target I shot with it.....280 Rem Steyr 05....not a bad group, will keep tweaking load until I get it right. Shot it 7 times 3 fouling shots and 4 shots on target. Don't know what happen to shot #2....LOL....

Next was the Cooper M52 in 280 Rem. This shoots great...no need to elaborate on this target....but I need to send it back to Cooper, it won't eject the shell, might have to replace the extractor....bought it used also and put a  Leupold VX6 2-12X x 42mm, great rifle and scope combination....three shots from a clean barrel, no fouling shots and see what it does...wow, good load, good bullet (154 gn Hornady Amax).

The Colt Cooper M2012 in 308 Win (you know I have to take at least one of the 308's....LOL....) am working on the powder choice with this rifle...shot it on two targets trying to decided on which powder to use. Had this planned before I got to the range...what I did not plan on was that they shoot the same bullet (168 gn Nosler Ballistic tip) the same group, almost identical group...but still working in load development.....see Colt Cooper Target Scan 6 for RL and Target Scan 7 for Varget powder....Very similar, so that did not help at all...will keep trying

The distance was 100 yards, Temperature was 84 F and falling, Humidity was 61% and rising, BP was 30.07 and falling, Winds were variable, storms were in the area and the air was very unstable. It would swirl this way, then that way. There is no way to predict which way they would blow next....there was no mirage, just slightly at 100 yards when I first got there then it subsided as the day went along....

Next up Part two is the Nosler 26 at 200 yards
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Range Results for Wednesday 5-23, part 1
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 07:06:34 PM »
nice shooting. 84 degrees is a tough warm for me. it was 92 here today and humid. i'm not ready for this. nice day at the range
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
Yari - Thanks, but 92 is way to hot for me....84 is pushing it....but at 92 you don't know whether the barrel is hot from the weather or from shooting...LOL...i become lethargic at best when it gets above 90.....yes it was a nice day...you could hear thunder in the area, but it actually did not rain on us.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
Nice shooting Bo looks like a great day at the range!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 02:36:59 PM »
Blue - I can accept the Steyr 280 and the Cooper 280 groups, but need to get the grouping better for the Colt Cooper....I normally shoot the 155 gn Bergers VLD's in my 308s and have that load down using VV140, Lapua Brass, CCI-BR2 primer.....have several other 308's that shoot the 165/168 gns using a variety of powders. Matter of fact that is where the two loads came from that I used and was trying to see which one the CC likes....but the range trip this week proved to be a wash...still have a few more rounds loaded up that I will use before trying something else....oh well....maybe I will seat them further out closer to the lans....my standard is .020 off the lans maybe go 015 or 010 from the lans and see what happens.....

Love Varget, RL15, AA2015, IMR4064 for my 165 and 168 gn bullets...they have proven to be good powders but now the Enduron Powders are becoming more modern mainstream such as the IMR4166.....have a pound of it and will load up some 165/168 and even some 175 gn with it and check it out.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad