New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Mach 2 or the HM2  (Read 383 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Mach 2 or the HM2
« on: May 24, 2018, 06:34:08 PM »
When I got my CZ455 in 22 Mag, I immediately ordered a 22 LR and a 17 HMR barrels and got them in and for some strange reason ordered another 17 HMR barrel with sights so I have two 17HMR barrels. With Lilja they were the only major barrel manufacturer making a 17 HM2 barrel for the CZ455 and at a cost of $400! I would have been crazy to order one...well call me crazy, I got up the nerve and the cash to order a Lilja barrel in 17 HM2, but there was only one problem, Lilja decided a couple of months before I called to stop making them. Wonder why because the sold them as fast as they could make them.

The above happen a couple of years ago, but was talking to my shooting buddy, Billy, last night and at the Mexican restaurant we always stop at after shooting, we got to talking about his endless supply of 17 HM2 Eley Ammo that I told him last year that I was interested in buying a couple of thousand rounds from him, because I have a little Savage 93 stainless heavy barrel, laminated stock in 17 HM2 caliber I like to shoot. I have about a 1000 rounds of ELEY ammo for it that it really likes, shoot through the same hole at 50 yards...it can out shoot me. So he (Billy) told me about WhistlePig Gun Barrel Company in Aurora, Oregon, a company that specialize in Ruger 10/22 parts, and now they are making CZ455 barrels and one of those is a HM2 for around $200....just got through ordering me one. It has a stainless steel tube inside a .920 aluminum barrel....the link to their website is below.......it suppose to be in stock and it should be here next week.....If it all goes well, will give you guys a report within the next few weeks.....

http://www.wpgbc.com/

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:13:28 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Mach 2 or the HM2
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »
note to self, once a new load comes out wait until the price comes down. 50% decrease in 2 years is substantial. enjoy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »
Apparently they have been making the 17 HM2 barrels for a couple of years now....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 10:25:35 PM »
Didn't realize I could convert a 10/22 as well to a HM2.  Good luck with your new barrel Bo.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 05:18:00 AM »
Madgomer - Like you, I thought the reason why Ruger quit making the 17 HM2 in their 10/22 Rimfires was due to feed problems and head spacing problems....I like that little round for 50 yards and under.....

the CZ455 is a bolt action rimfire rifle...have a Tract Optic 22Fire scope mounted on it...great scope by the way....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »
Sounds like a good deal and you have plenty of ammo.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
Blue - Yea I would if Billy sells me about 2K of his ELEY HM2...then I think I would have enough....nothing like good ammo....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 11:52:24 AM »
The CZ455 is a great rimfire rifle, no problems, but there is one little item that you are going to need to be able to accept the shorter 22LR/HM2 magazine. It called a Magazine Well Block that fits snuggle behind the shorter magazine so that it will fit up into the magazine well...Remember the CZ455 is made for the longer 22WMR and the 17HMR ammo....one came with the CZ and it is a polymer. The ones I just got in are aluminum and they fit up real good....now if somehow I can get this to attached to the magazine and stay in place, that would be great....This is a small piece and be sure not to lose it.....

The DIP order came in after only 4 days of ordering, and they are located in Oregon and I am located in Tenn.....great and fast service, everything was in stock.....

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3600
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:55:00 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »
If you guys are interesting in converting your 10/22 into a HM2 or getting a new barrel for your 22 LR go to their website....

https://www.wpgbc.com/

Good Luck.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 02:37:44 AM »
Took the CZ455 with it new Whistle Pig HM2 barrel to the range yesterday and shot it for the first time...not bad for the first time to shoot it.....see the 6-6-18 Range Results Post. Once I tweak the scope for the first three shots, then settle down and shot this group at 50 yards...

Will post the target and photo of it here as well 

Will dig out my Eley Ammo for it next time I head to the range.....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:39:15 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 05:59:23 AM »
I have been thinking a lot about the CZ455....I have 5 barrels for the CZ455 = 2 - 17HMR and 1 - 22WMR, 1 - HM2 and 1 - 22LR. What I have been thinking is that might have to buy another CZ455 just in 22 LR and the 17 HMR2...the reason is a little piece of metal called a Magazine Well Block, it allows you to shoot short 22 LR in a 22 WMR CZ455.....don't loose it in the woods, if you own a long CZ455 and try to shoot a 22 LR in it then you will have to install a Magazine Well Block to accommodate the 22 LR (short) magazine. It fits behind the 22 LR short magazine, and you will need to hold it in place while you insert the magazine...what a clumsy design....I went ahead and ordered a couple of more of these Mag Well Blocks from DIP https://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3600 - it seems like this company has the most CZ455 Accessories on the market....if anybody knows anyone else, please let me know.....

These Well Block Magazine part is small and black (matte), and you could easily loose them in the woods hunting for squirrels, they would fall out and you would never find them in the leaves and undergrowth....I called the company and told them that they needed to make them in a fluorescent color such as orange or green so you could easily find them. I now have three of them two from DIP products and one from CZ (it came with the 455)....Don't worry, once the Magazine and the Well Block are installed it will not drop out, it is locked in place....the only time you will have to be careful if you change magazines.

The CZ455 has basically 2 configuration, one for the 22 LR (short) and one for the 22 WMR (Long) and if I get another one just for the CZ455 just in the 22 LR and order a bunch of 22LR magazines for it (for the CZ 22 WMR, must have about ten 10 shot magazines!!) they I could be have a back up for my Savage 17 HM2. Would not have to worry about losing the Magazine well Block if I bought another one just for the 22 LR (and the 17 HMR......

In my inventory of rimfires, have the old Remington 580 (single shot), 581 (box magazine) and 582 (tube feed).....I own another old Nylon 66 (Brown) as well...bought it brand new in 1968 for $49.99....in Tucker, Ga....LOL....plus a bunch of others....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad