New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: tract optics  (Read 175 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
tract optics
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »
tract has a 30% discount going on specific demo scopes and binos. i was waiting for some sort of sale to put on my 300 win mag. i picked up the last toric 3x15x42 t-plex. i just got in under the gun (or is this over the gun?) @--0--0105

i talked to one of the owners and he said he doubts i could tell the difference between this one and new. basically, once the box is opened, they can't sell it as 'new'.

i ordered butler caps, warne bases and rings and will set it up in the next month. plenty of time to dial it in for SD.

check out the sale if you are looking for optics
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: tract optics
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:20:34 AM »
Yari - I am sure you talk to Jon LaConte (he is one of the two co-founders of TRACT optics) matter of fact both owners are named Jon and both use to work for Nikon. They spell their first name the same way....interesting. I bought some of their high end binoculars and use them last year. The are sharp, clear. I would say they are as good as my Swarovski EL's are for about a third of the cost! Everyone's eyes are different, but I look at the definition of the object and the details that are in focus around the edges...Color definitions is next, she how the greens are green and the blues are blue...next I will pick out a dark area and look into it to see how much of the dark matter I can see....Weight, how much do they weight. Can you carry them around or wear them around....depends on your age....I put them in my fanny pack and carry them to the stand/blind and use them from there....

I also got a Tract 22Fire scope. This is my first Tract scope....put it on a CZ455. It is very bright and clear scope....love it....have used it at the range only, maybe 4 or 5 times...great scope for the money....

The 3X15x42 Scope should be a good scope for your 300WM. It has a 1" tube, BDC reticule, Second Plane focus and a unheard of 15 yards to infinity parallax adjustment......lets us all know, after you take it to the range, the pros and cons of the scope.

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 11 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »
Bo- i got the t-plex not the BDC. since i'll be using a turret, i want it simple. the BDC's just seem to clutter IMO.

i was waiting for their new scope this year(4x20x50 i believe) and it only came w/ the BDC.  way too much clutter in hunting situations IMO. i like a clean filed of view
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:36:39 PM »
Yari     Yea I agree I don't all the clutter either. Are you going to have a custom turret made for your rifle? How far are you planning on shooting?   I'm interested in hearing a review about your new scope.

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »
notsams- i decided against against custom turret. i may move the scope to a different rifle or use a different load in the future. i'll tape the number of clicks on my stock for easy reference.

as far as distance, i hope to get to the 600 yard range this summer. that is the longest range i have found. i plan to be consistent at 600. of course, the conditions would have to favorable before i take that shot.

this is for my SD trip. i just want to be prepared if the shot arises. in WI, i seldom shoot over 50 yards in the big woods and can seldom see much farther than 70 yards. i do like up close and personal much better, but SD is different and fun to. 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »
Yari - Yes agree with Notsams...to much clutter will hamper your shot...Down here in the South we have about 2 seconds to decide whether we will take him or not, another couple of seconds to get on him and another couple of seconds to pull the trigger.....the woods are so thick down here....

About 5+ years ago, I bought my first Nightforce Scope. I was in Alabama (right on the border between AL and TN a placed called Big Daddy's) and they have a pretty nice gun shop in a gas/food mart/hot dogs/hamburger type store....but in their gun shop at the end of the season, I saw one lonely Nightforce SHV (4-14X) scope in the case. No more Leupold's, no more Zeiss's, no more Swarovski's, nope they were all sold. I guess they were trying to sell off most of their inventory and get ready for next season. I asked to looked at it and I was totally surprised when I look through the tube...it was clean reticule, a MOAR, wow, was I surprised....bought it just because it was clean and they had it for $125 off MSRP....

But to much activity or busy scope, you cannot pick up the game or your target...I am a hunter and not a hole puncher. This very nice scope went on a 270WSM Custom McWhorter that I have purchased used a few years before I purchased the Nightforce....but I believe in clean, clear scope with a simple BDC in it....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 11 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad