New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Resizing Brass  (Read 226 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Resizing Brass
« on: May 10, 2018, 07:02:02 PM »
After cleaning all the rifles, it was time to look at my available brass.....I was low....am in the last stages of resizing the last batch of 400 pieces of brass....Most of it is Lapua, Norma, Nosler brass....Start off with a good examination of each piece of brass. This is having a good set of magnifying glasses and using a magnifying lighted lamp in conjunction with each other. I am looking at brass magnified about 10X the normal size. I looked for cracks in the neck, shoulder area and at the base. This is a daunting task. I start off each day this way and sort of am glad I am nearly finished with the task...boy am my eyes tired after each day...so far I have to throw away 3 pieces of brass....keep my fingers crossed....

So this tells me that for the past few years I have shot a lot, but looking at the number of rifles and each rifle has its own ammo box with 50 rounds of ammo in each box, times 8 boxes gives me that total of 400 pieces of brass that I am resizing...my eyes and hands hurt at the end of each day....Getting older doesn't help either, my hands are developing arthritis, Just like my knees did, and you guys knows what happens when that takes places...yes, knee replacement time!! I will just live with the pain in my hands and keep plenty of hand warmers open during the hunting seasons in the future.....

A lot of the calibers are 308's since I love 308's.....there has been a 270WSM, 7mm-08 and 2 - 7x57's. After get through getting the brass ready to reload, it is time to reload!! Only load up about 10 to 12 rounds of each caliber at a time. So next step will be to reload a bunch of rounds and then head to the range....and range results...

Tomorrow will finished up and throw the last batch of brass into the tumbler for cleaning and then 8 hours later, they should be good to go.....Just thought I would share my reloading experiences with you guys.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: Resizing Brass
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »
Sounds good Bo.  I acquired a bunch of used pistol brass (mostly .45 ACP) a few months ago, got it all de-primed & tumbled, now need to get down to the bench to load a bunch of it up.  I keep telling myself I'm going to do more pistol shooting but life keeps getting in the way (yeah I know, I struggle getting my priorities straight).  Will be an empty nester in August, and retired about 6 months later, so that's gotta free up some time for this.

And yeah, the eyes and the hands are not what they used to be - gotta get myself one of those lighted bench magnifiers, I think I'd use it a lot if I had it.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 11:25:10 PM »
Mad - My Grandmother had the best saying when one day, my Mom was visiting her Mom (I drove her to her house in the Grant Park Area of Atlanta), when my Mom asked her Mom, who does she miss the most and there was a pause and then my Grandmother said that she missed Me the most. I did not think about it much for a couple of days but she was right, the person I miss the most is Me!!...LOL....so true!! So we all are not the person who we use to be....

When I got into reloading back in the very early 70's, loaded everything from Pistols to Shotguns to Rifles...Loaded up all my own ammo....wow, where did the time go....now days only reload my rifles...have sort of settle in on Hornady for my pistol ammo. Sold off my MEC Jr for my shotgun reloading many years ago....

We congrats on getting them raised and out of the house...you done a good job....when you retire, you will have to get to know your better half all over again...it will be a live changing event...going into my third year of retirement and can tell you that it will take you a year just to get "settle in" on your new job, and after that you will find that you are busier than every!!

In a few days it will be Mother's Day, my wife will be with her daughter and grand kids and if it wasn't for her daughter and grand kids my wife would go crazy..well she is already crazy by marrying me!!...LOL...I will be in the Gun Room sorting out brass and doing some reloading for the rifles. That is one thing about revisiting the saved targets, yes have thousands of targets saved. Each rifle has its own folder that has its original targets in it....These days I spend a ton of time down there.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 07:02:11 AM »
Forget one step in the process - Annealing the necks of a few rounds...every third time resizing the brass will run each piece through the flame. It does take long just setting up for it takes the most time, get out the burner out of the box and getting it set up and have written down the distance from the flame and the time and speed in which the brass has to run through it...have lost a number of pieces of brass over the years in getting it set up...this year lost two pieces of brass...oh well, its worth it....After the flame will throw the brass in the tumbler for a good cleaning....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad