New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Gun Gurus...  (Read 620 times)

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Gun Gurus...
« on: April 18, 2018, 06:54:24 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of Windham Weaponry?  I just purchased a 7.62 x 39 from them in the AR-15 style.  Decided the head and neck shots with the .223 was a little to risky on hogs for my taste.  This gun is going to be used strictly for hogs.  I am going to be topping it off with my new thermal imaging scope I received yesterday.  Will post pictures of the gun w/ scope once the gun arrives. 

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Gun Gurus...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:59:56 PM »
Yep, have heard of them, and nothing negative.  Do not have any of their stuff.  The extra energy of that round coupled with a good robust bullet should serve you well, but bullet placement is still important on those tough buggers.  Keep thinking about trying out a hog hunt, and while many people are killing hogs with .223s, common favorites by the guys doing a lot of it are the 6.8, .300 blackout, your cal, and things like the .458.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 06:49:14 AM »
Thanks for your reply Mad.  I was also thinking AR-10 in .308, but the recoil wouldn't allow for many follow up shots.  If you are seriously thinking of a hog hunt and are willing to drive to Oklahoma just let me know.... @--0--0137

Online BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »
King Ben - Yes, just got one in myself...it is your standard run of the mill AR15 in 223.....got it last week and it was used (one owner) and tore it down completely, cleaned out the gas tube, got my Hawkeye bore-scope out and see how much, if any, throat erosion it had in the barrel, also took the BCG apart and clean/inspected it....put it all back together and did not have any parts left over...LOL....this rifle had a lot of extras with it, similar to the Hi-Point 9mm Carbine that I purchased first of the year. The Windham is your basic flat top AR. The original owner put flip up sights on it, along with a Advanced Armament flash/break and Nikon 223 scope. This scope must be the first generation because it is very heavy and the dots on the vertical reticule are small. The crosshairs are fine as well....the scope was mounted using a American Defense quick release mount and a Hogue pistol grip. I replaced the scope with a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7X. it is definitely clearer and the marks in the vertical are more define and you can pick them up easier....The original owner told me that he had between 200 and 300 rounds down the barrel using 52 and 55 gn ammo....It has a 1 in 9 twist in it so it should be good for 75 and 77 gn SMK bullets....The two take down pins are sort of small and I used a punch to get them started, apparently the original owner never took it down..probably never cleaned it as well....forgot to mention that the original owner put a Rifle Basix trigger in it as well...the trigger pulled using the Lyman Trigger Gage was right at 3 lbs, sometimes higher and sometimes lower....have an extra CMC trigger laying around that I will think about dropping in after range time to see if this trigger will pass the BoBallistic test

This is my first Windham Weaponry (WW) and it looks like the parts they used and finished is a hair better than most. All steel components (except for the Hogue grip). I used plenty of light and magnification when I tore it down and spent a lot of time studying it....actually, need to do this to my other older AR15's that I own.....after reassemble it and putting the Vortex CF scope on it and now it is bore sighted and ready to take to the range.....next week maybe......

The SKS round, the one you bought is a very good round, it is basically your short 308 round with less range as the 308 Win goes...but it should work on hogs for sure.....I agree that if you have the time to put a 223 on the head or behind the ear, the 223 will work just fine, but if you shoot the shoulder shots, something like a 308 should do the trick.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 07:08:11 AM »
King Ben - Mad has a point - A muzzle break on a AR10 would be something to think about...it would keep the recoil down and you could do some follow up shots with it as well.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 07:10:00 AM »
I'm glad you replied Bo, I knew you would give an in-depth report.  I now feel like I made a good purchase and I like the story behind the short history of WW on their website as well.  Thanks for your response!

Online BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 08:01:18 AM »
King Ben - Yes it is a good story on WW homepage......I had three months to study up what I have purchased. At first I was leery of the WW....many was I sweating this deal, there is a guy in our hunt club who sent me an email back in the first days of 2018 telling that there is a IT guy he worked with that had this AR for sale....as I said was very leery about this deal. I told this guy in our club, that I would think about it and get back with him.....I thought about it, looked over my inventory and decided that I needed some photos of the firearm....When the guy sent me three photos of it, that made my decision for me....I gave him $100 buck less that his full asking price. He accepted the deal. When the check cleared, this guy in our hunt club took possession and put it in his gun safe.

Sure, I had heard of them before. Anybody knows anything about the AR rifles had heard of WW. They had/have a reputation of being one of the "upper-crust" of AR, just like Les Baer does..... I did my research into the company and the product before I got my hands on it and the more I read the reviews, the more I at ease I got with the purchased.....so the rest is history....As far as what am I going to do with a AR rifle, is to shoot it....get it sighted in at the range for at least 100 yards and probably will get it out to 200 yards. that will be the zero range......but for yotes and hogs and maybe does...the 77 GN SMK will take down any buck in Southeast for sure.....I will probably order me a bunch of 10 or 15 round magazines. This rifle came with 3 30 round magazines....I only need a 10 round for what I want it for...If I have to load up the 30 round magazines, you know we are in some serious trouble.....

Here is a picture of the WW AR15 that I purchased. It is the first photo the original owner sent me

Company History - Hope I don't get in trouble for posting it.....

The Windham Weaponry Story…

A team of the finest firearms manufacturers in the U.S.A. has been re-assembled to bring to market the highest quality AR type rifle possible. These good Maine folks – most of whom are former employees of Bushmaster Firearms – offer many years of experience in the industry, and all look forward to working with you, to serving your needs, and to building you a great rifle.

When the people who bought Bushmaster in 2006 decided to move it “lock, stock and barrel” out of Maine to New York in 2011, the original Bushmaster owner, Mr. Richard Dyke was left with both a dilemma and an opportunity. Almost to the day of the 2011 move, Mr. Dyke’s non-compete clause expired. He still owned the property where Bushmaster had been built, and knew all the workers – now laid off – who had helped him build it. He made a decision to “get back in the game” and promptly put an email out to many of his former employees and friends asking if there was interest in joining him for a new project.

With a resounding “yes” of support, he gathered the financing in two days, and started bringing people back into their long-time Windham manufacturing home. Phoenix-like, Windham Weaponry was on the rise. Within three months, the first productions models of the new Windham Weaponry line had been perfected and delivered. Quality, fit, finish, durability, accuracy and value were all superb – giving credence to Windham Weaponry’s motto “The Quality Goes In, Before The Rifle Goes Out”.

The firearms industry and consumers welcomed this new effort warmly, old friends and contacts were re-established, and sales grew. In less than a year and a half, Windham Weaponry had brought back almost 70 employees, benchmarked impressive sales numbers, and established their name as one of the pre-eminent firearms manufacturers in the country.

The press heralded it as “truly an American success story”, and all due to the vision of its founder. Further growth for Windham Weaponry has already been planned and implemented.
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »
Oh Bo that is a beauty.  Thanks for posting the WW story.

Online Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 04:02:04 PM »
Thanks for your reply Mad.  I was also thinking AR-10 in .308, but the recoil wouldn't allow for many follow up shots.  If you are seriously thinking of a hog hunt and are willing to drive to Oklahoma just let me know.... @--0--0137
I might just take you up on that one of these days Ben.  Oldest daughter lives down in Wichita now, and with retirement on the horizon I hope to have more time for road trips out that way.
and enjoy it!

Online BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 06:08:06 PM »
The more I study this rifle the more I understand the thought that went into it's design...sure it is a mil spec, but the little touches they have added is the difference....planning on taking it down the the GA Hunt Club with me this weekend...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 10 Point
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 09:08:44 AM »
Bo - They are beautiful guns.  I plan on sighting it in tomorrow with the thermal scope.  It is a little more intricate as I will have to take the manual with me to sight it in.  I peeked out the door with it the other night and watched a deer at ~350 yards.  This set-up is going to be awesome.  Let me know what you think about your WW after this weekend.

Online Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
Ben, which thermal unit did you get?
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 10 Point