New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Double Trouble  (Read 920 times)

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
Double Trouble
« on: April 16, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
Opening day this past Saturday worked out pretty good for Bugfixer and I. Story to come in a week or so when we slow down. Both birds had 11 inch beards and 1 inch spurs.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
Re: Double Trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:00:09 PM »
Good job!  Waiting like Paul Harvey, for the "rest of the story".
Treefarmer

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
Congrats guys!  But you got blood all over that fancy deck!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:01:37 PM »
very nice. was this on the new lease? congrats
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:25:39 PM »
Great looking birds , congrats to both of you , be waiting for the stories behind the hunts .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »
Congrats to both of you! Looking forward to the stories!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 06:34:04 AM »
Way to GO Bug and HM!     ##$%#11

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 07:00:10 AM »
That's sweet right there.  New lease?  Congrats to the both of you.

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 10:05:56 AM »
its a new property we picked up. only 60 acres and all woods, but it paid off...
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
Congrats fellas nice gobblers!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »
Good job guys, that new property did you well. Waiting for the story, this should be a good one  --099-780
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »
We have two small properties we can turkey hunt on this year. One is basically a 150 acre cow pasture and the other is 60 acres of woods with a small lake on one border. Bug and his son hunted the 60 acres on youth weekend (the weekend before) and had a few birds gobble but couldn’t connect. On that same day, I went to the 150 acre pasture and glassed that morning. I heard 5 birds gobble and watched two big toms fight each other. We were happy, so far, with both properties.

On the night before opening day we ran into an issue. Our plan for the next morning was to go to the pasture. The 60 acre property has a steep bottom (called a holler here in KY) and that's where Bug thinks the birds were roosting but had no idea where they went when they hit the ground. We wanted to scout it more during daylight to find a way to get on those birds so the pasture was the main plan. However, the forecast was grim. It was calling for heavy thunderstorms to start around 1 am and continue all day Saturday and all Saturday night. Lots of rain and lightning was expected. We knew birds like to get in the open pasture during a rain but we were a little worried about the lightning. We also didn’t want to have to leave the pasture and bust birds if they were in the field. We decided to check the weather again at 330 when we got up.

At 330 we found the storm hadn’t started yet and was expected to hold off until around 8 am. We changed plans and decided to go to the 60 acre property because if it started storming we could ease back out through the woods and maybe not spook any birds. Opening day hunt was changed to a quick scouting expedition.

We arrived a little late because this property is 30 minutes further away than the pasture we planned on going to but we still got in and setup in time thanks to bug preparing a good spot the weekend before. As light approached, I owl hooted but got no response. Finally, a bird gobbled down in the holler. I was going to be the caller that day and bug the shooter but as always, I still had my gun. I wanted to get him a bird first because he was in a 4 year dry spell on turkeys.

Now this bird was gobbling pretty good but it was hard to tell how far away he was because he was deep in the holler. When he stopped, I had yet to make a call and we decided, since the storm was coming soon, we would investigate, to see if we could learn more about where he was roosting. There was a trail that led down into the holler so we started to ease down. I would go a few feet, then glass, then listen, then go further. About a third of the way down, I decided to yelp softly. He cut me off and started hammering.. close….  Real close…

I told bug to sit on the left side of the trail and I sat a bit behind him on the right. When we were setup, I started calling again and he went nuts… maybe 2 minutes later we saw 2 birds pitch on my right from trees at the bottom of the hill. Then one pitched straight in front of us at the bottom of the hill. Then another pitched right at bug, landing 30 yards from us. Then another pitched to his left. All 5 of them big gobblers. Less than a minute later bugs shotgun blasted and we had one flopping. Bug remained dead still because I had lost sight of the other 4 birds and he wanted to give me a chance. That’s what you get when two buddies have hunted together for years. He read my mind. I made another call and eased my gun into position. 10 seconds later one of the birds from my right stepped out and my gun blasted. All of this happened in less than 5 minutes from my first call. We had two big boys down! A scouting expedition had turned into a double kill. It had been 5 years to the day since we had last doubled up! Needless to say we were pumped!!! We must have fist bumped 10 times in 2 minutes!

Now, its 630 and we are a 30 minute hard walk back to the truck with 2 birds and all our gear. The sky was getting dark but we took a few minutes to get a few pics of our birds in the woods then we took off for the truck. As soon as we got loaded and in the truck the storm hit.
On the way back to my cabin, I called and woke the wife up to meet us there. We needed a photographer for double kill pics…  She showed up and we took pics on the porch with the rain coming down. Then for the first time in many, many years, I drank a beer at 830 in the morning to celebrate..

God, I love this sport…
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »
great story. in WI we call the breakfast beer the 'breakfast of champions'. it's always noon somewhere right? @--0--0121 @--0--0121
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »
Congrats to you both! Great hunt!!