New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Aerovane  (Read 326 times)

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
Aerovane
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
I met the man that invented the Aerovane at the Deer/Turkey Expo in Madison. Dorge O'some Huang introduced me to his AeroConcept. The concept was as intriging as the man. His concept takes archery to an elite level. Has anyone used Aerovane's?
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Aerovane
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 01:06:34 PM »
i never heard of them. i did look up some pros and cons. i don't like that they are stiff and brittle in cold temps. also, they have to be fletched straight

i like the concept, but i'll wait until it is refined
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:05:29 PM »
Haven't used them or even heard of them prior to your post.  Went out & read up on them - - yeah, they've done their physics homework and there's probably a slight edge to be gained with them, but as I read through all of the do's and don'ts I draw the conclusion that this might be an incremental gain a target archer might want to pursue, but the risk vs. reward doesn't seem obvious to me for a hunter.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 07:42:31 PM »
Thanks for the info. It's a very expensive setup. I agree probably better for target shooters then hunters. The main thing that interested me was the quietness of the arrow in flight. This would limit animals ducking the arrow. I flech my vanes straight so not a big deal for me. Will do more research before deciding if I will buy some Aerovane's for my existing arrows. Going archery elk hunting in September so don't want to change too much.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:01:43 PM »
The article I read (on their own website) didn't show any actual data to compare noise levels, wind drift, or difference in trajectory - which makes me suspicious about the magnitude of the benefits stated. Given that they had a bunch of concerns stated about which specific broadheads were suitable to use with each version of Aerovane, I suspect they're on the ragged edge of not having enough vane drag to keep the arrow stabilized.  Less vane or a more efficient vane = quieter and faster, but at the expense of stabilization.  Basically they're trying to make a vane "not do" what it's intended to do, or at least not as much.  Will have to see more data to convince me that you couldn't get a lot of the same benefits by having conventional vanes of shorter length & height.

This really got driven home to me when my kids were younger and I made a pneumatic launcher for rockets the kids would make from construction paper.  We used it for birthday parties, scout outings, etc.  I always had a couple of my "special" rockets I had made which would literally disappear from sight off the launcher and go 2-3X higher than the kids' did, and then would start coaching the kids on how to make theirs fly like that.  For any of them that didn't blow up on the launcher on their first attempt, I'd have them trim back their tailfins significantly and re-launch, they were amazed at the difference.  If they lost a fin or cut off too much, things would go nuts off the launcher and it was back to the construction table.  I set up my chrony one time over it to get a feel for the launch velocity.  Don't remember the exact numbers but seems like it was in excess of 200 fps if I pressurized the launcher up to the 40 psi range.  That's in the ballpark of an arrow coming off the string.  Reducing the drag on the fins (vanes) is a really good thing until you hit that point where it's a bad thing.
and enjoy it!

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 09:29:48 PM »
Wow, great info Madgomer. I was surprised a few years ago when I changed to the shorter Blazer vanes how well they worked. They were recommended by the archery shop I bought my bow from. Now that I think about it I haven't had a deer duck my arrows since I bought my Matthew Z7 and got the Blazer vanes.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 10:31:01 AM »
Yeah I was a bit skeptical when I first used Blazers on carbon shafts, but quickly became a believer.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
good analogy mad. you hit it on the head

unless you are shooting at a highly alert deer outside of 20 yards, the deer ducking the arrow isn't much of an issue w/ the newer/faster bows. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, just unlikely inside 20 yards
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad