New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Can't Level on Amazon  (Read 347 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Can't Level on Amazon
« on: April 12, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »
Just purchased 3 of the combination angle indicator and cant level for $25 each....thought it was a good deal. It will fit either 1 inch or 30mm tubes...they have a few of them that ran from $25 to $30 and if you are looking just for a cant level, Lone Star has three or four configuration for sale for under $20.....good deals.....

Here are some pics of them. Just put in Can't Level in the search box and see what comes up......

Have put the Vortex Cant Level on just about all of my rifles, but there are a few that I might pull off the Vortex and put one one of these when they come in...early next week.....This past week at the range, had all can't levels on the rifles and refer to them constantly before I fired......but this is a much needed accessory that most of us need.....enjoy....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season coming soon
Re: Can't Level on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »
 @--0--0102 just know about you bo

sweet deal
turkey season was a bust hope deer season is better

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 06:36:30 PM »
there are a lot of choices on amazon. they have a 5 pack of levels for mounting and a scope level for only $20. it's a straight bubble though. it doesn't have all the adjustments

i've never used one on a rifle, but use one on my bow all the time. until SD, 100 yards was a long shot in WI. most of my deer were killed from a bow stand w/ a rifle inside 50 yards. there wasn't a need for a level at that short distance IMO

nice purchase
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:08:05 PM »
Yari - I purchased quiet a few levels for mounting scopes and a couple with self adhesive strips on the bottom of the levels. On my min crossbow, have cant level on the scope and another two levels mounted on the crossbow itself. One for left-right cant and one for front-back angle. Along with the one mounted on the scope, have 2 levels for the cant and one level for the angle. it is amazing what a aide these levels are especially on a crossbow shooting at 70 yards down hill. Totally surprise me when I started hitting the bulls-eye at 70 yards and had the BDC reticule on 65 yards and let the arrow fly....

The loose small levels, I keep in a small, sandwich size, container. I will put them everywhere when I mount the scope.....In the moment of Deer/Elk hunting you may not look at the level when getting ready to fire at the animal. Maybe you have time? but down south here it is a matter of a couple of seconds whether to fire or not....so I only refer to the cant level at the range.....

Dave - Yea, thought it was a good deal, maybe next week will order 5 more and start replacing all the cant level with the angle indicator and cant levels on all my rifles. Let me get these first 3 in and go from there....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »
Had to take the scopes completely off both rifles to mount the combo cant level and angle indicator....The pictures just shows the Remington XR-100 with a Swarovski 6-18-40MM Scope, it has a 1 inch ring, clear as a bell...The other rifle I mounted the combo cant level and angle indicator on was the Nosler Liberty in 26 Nosler...did not take any pictures of it.....

I purchase the rifle in 2004 and it shoots wonderful. I have always like this rifle. Never shoot it enough, that sucks!! but this puppy was driving tacks at 200 yards. About two years ago, installed a Vortex Cant Level on it...this is very good Cant Level for the money.....so I pulled the Vortex Cant Level off the scope to mount a combo cant level and angle indicator....and tried to mount this combo without messing with the scope...well after a few choice words directed at this rifle, had to finally today take the scope off the rifle and mount the combo on it.....

But in both cases, what a pain in the rear end to mount these combo units....now both rifles have to be re-zeroed and have hung a tag around them stating "Bore Sighted Only"......so these are the problems with the combo units and if you are going to mount a good cant level on your rifle, you might have to take the scope off your rifle just to do this....

I have to level the rifle then had to shim it up in the gun vise, then level the scope, then level the combo unit, then torque down the scope screws and finally bore sight just to get it on paper....so be aware.....

Pictures are from 2007 when I had nothing mounted on the rifle scope. The last two are the photos I took today....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:34:39 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 05:37:01 AM »
Mighty fine work there my brother.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 04:00:06 PM »
that is a big level. are you worried about it catching on the brush or cloths? why did you take the vortex level off?

nice work
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »
Dutch - Thanks....

Yari - it is the size of a normal angle indicator, just the camera make is looks bigger....Nothing wrong with the Vortex Cant Level at all, but for these long range rifles, thought that the addition on a angle indicator and a can level would be nice addition....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
i had to take both scope off as I said but the Swarovski 6-18X on the 22-250 Rem was only a hair off..had to make some minor adjustments. The Vortex on the Nosler Liberty was off about 8 inches...so all in all, was not disappointed in the installation.

Now in the past have had the scope after mounting the Vortex Cant Level on the scope and then re-mount the scope was off a foot!! but as a min of installing a cant level is worth it especially if you reload your own and do any long range shooting, like 600 yards.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad