New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 4-10  (Read 461 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 4-10
« on: April 11, 2018, 08:49:32 AM »
Boy am I rusty....finally hooked up with my shooting buddy Billy. Got there and went again to the plinking range, this is the second time this year I have been there...shot both the SCCY and the Hi-Point C9 Pistols, just wanted to see both shot well and no problems feeding the magazines...was using the 124 gn Hornady Ammo for the purpose....I could not been impressed more but both shot well...especially the SCCY....

Then drove down to the rifle range, was there about 30 minutes before my shooting buddy arrived. Got set up and did some prelim shooting with the Savage 93 in the 17 HM2...at 50 yards...see target below....am thinking about changing the 4X Nikon Prostaff scope out with a Vortex 2-7X? what do you think.....but the squirrels are in trouble this year so watch out!

The rifles I took to the range was the ones that I took with me last year for deer season. Took with me Steyr 7mm-08, Cooper M22 7x57, Remington 700 LTR in 308 Win. The first one shot was the Remington LTR in 308 Win. This is my rifle I take with me every trip down to GA. It is my Go-To rifle. I can take it apart with a could set screws and clean it or dry it out so I can hunt with it....The wind was gusty yesterday, had been all day long so aimed an inch left of bulls eyes on all four shots...see what happen...I guess the wind had laid down....LOL....see target....

The second rifle I shot was the Steyr 7mm-08....great round!! was low about an inch so after shooting this four shot group and looking at target, did adjust it one inch up on the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10X....look at shots 2 and 3....I think I pulled the last shot.... 

Last shot rifle was the old Cooper M22, single shot rifle in 7x57....looks like I "walked" it up, every shot got higher and higher....

All in all not a bad day...but could have been better....will start going probably each week unless something comes up.....

It is time to clean all the rifles that I took to the range yesterday....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Range Results 4-10
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 09:21:50 AM »
good to kick off the dust. do you shoot 100 yards?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »
Bo its been a while since we had a range day here finally!  Lets hope the weather has warmed up for good!   Nice shooting.  just a little tweaking and those will be ready for this fall.   
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 02:12:44 PM »
Yari - Everything was at 100 yards, except for the HM2 and it was at 50 yards....

Deerhead....these were the rifles that I have not cleaned yet due to the fact I wanted to check them out to see if I did hit the deer or not. Do this every year whether I hit/get/got the deer or not....now I can clean them good which I will do tomorrow....along with several other rifles that I got. Most of them are clean, but there are a few that are not, the ones that I also took down to the club with me..like the 26 Nosler, the old Savage LE-1 in 308, the Cooper Custom 54 in 308 among the ones that I need to clean as well...

Will clear a path this coming year just in case the rut happens in the same area...LOL...

For those who did not follow the Bocapades last Nov. 4th, 2017, I thought I had hit the deer better than I did, it was a nice wall hanger 10 pointer...really nice deer. Deerhead found the blood trail that we put the dogs on....Deerhead stayed with the guy with the dogs. The Dog Guy who had the clothing on that allow you to go through the head high weeds and briers, well Deerhead was right there with this guy getting scratched and cut up. After three hours and 5 miles later, we called off the search for the deer, the dogs were still on him but the hit did not kill him just pissed him off enough to leave the area so we called off the dogs and ended the search.  Everyone needs friends like Deerhead...thanks again....

Have to resize brass for the Steyr 7mm-08 and the Cooper M22 7x57....so will be looking at loading some barnes or accubonds pills in those rifles this spring....

Should mention Range Notes here as well. When I got there yesterday, had the plinking range to myself for about an hour. It is where you go to shooting anything and everything . Once I packed up and headed to the Rifle Range, there was a guy with an Oheler 35P there along with a guy with an AR15 style rifle. It seems like everyone has one. Billy my shooting buddy brought his two, a 223 and a 6.8 SPC there last night. The other guy named David, had purchased an AR upper off the Internet and was complaining about it. He could not get it on paper at 50 yards. Told him to walk down there close to the target at 50 yards and shoot it then. That way it would show him where he is hitting at. Well come to find out, that he is low, very low almost 3 feet at 50 yards. So he has some work to do. He is 70 and said he can't see squat anymore and that is why he uses a scope. Told him that I know the feeling...so his problem that solved....when he packed up and left, he came over to thank Billy and I for helping him with his new Upper.....Billy had a problem with his 223, not firing, not sure what is going on there. These were hand loads that he had no problems with in the brass in the past but at the range today he had problems with the rounds...as of this writing don't know the answer....

See range attached photos of the Remington 700 LTR and the Cooper M22.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:59:11 AM »
 ##$%#15 but I have one question when you go to the range do you use a moving van to take your guns

##$%#13  just had to ask
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »
Great info, Bo. I use Cabelas caliber specific scope for my .17. Very clear.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
Way to knock the dust off Bo. Nice shooting.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »
Gobihawk.....good to know about that scope. When I purchased my CZ455 - Was thinking of getting that scope to mount on it...Have the 17 HMR barrel on it but do have the other two barrels, the 22 WMR and the 22 LR......no HM2 Lilja barrel, waited to long and thought to hard about buying a $400 custom Lilja barrel. Sales fell off so Lilja quit producing them. Called about two months late!!.....The CZ455 shoots great any barrel you put on it.

So I purchased a seperate Savage 93 Mark II Stainless with a laminated stock on it for a shade over $200 a few years back....love the caliber HM2 a lot. ELEY Ammo shoot the best in it. Heck, ELEY Ammo shoots the best is all my rimfire rifles and pistols....Was talking to my shooting buddy and he was telling me that he would sell me half of his 5K rounds of ELEY HM2 Ammo....I jumped at that idea, I just told him how much does he want for it and I will write him a check...it will probably be about a grand for the Ammo....don't know if I would every shoot that up in my life. I think I have about 1500 rounds of it myself, not sure of the exact amount, but do have a bunch here and a bunch there of it...LOL.....

Currently on the CZ455, have the Tract 22Fire on it. It a 3-9X x 40 with the BDC reticule...talk about a clear scope, this is one of the best scopes for the money...so far so good, it has held up for two years now with out needing to adjust....but was thinking about the Cabela's scope Gobi was talking about.....

Dave - Funny you should ask. Got up this morning and walked into the gun room and saw a bunch of rifles that I needed to clean....you are right, but normally what I will take to the range for the first couple of times are the rifles that I used last fall deer hunting. After the range trips will do any adjusting and clean them and put a white golf tee in the barrels. This indicated to me that they are a clean rifle and will need some fouling shots....

Then after two or three trip to the range, will look at the rifles that I have not shot in over a year and take them...most places on our hunting land you can get away with a simple 308 or 7mm-08 or even a 243.....you don't need the range of a mag...but that was before they logged the land. Last year to the 270's and 280's and 280AI to the range with me. Next week when I go, have the 270's and 280's schedule to go to the range. Tell you what that 280 Cooper M52 that has a beautiful wooden stock is one accurate rifle...I would take a deer out to 400 yards with it today using the 140 gn Accubonds...it is one amazing looking and shooting rifle....

Then I will study the targets and the rifles and begin to take them to the range.....going to spend a lot of time at the range this year...like Dutch says, Practice, Practice and then Practice some more......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
Bo I will do it again.. Those samplings are horrible...  So for next year lets clip some shooting lanes first so we can have a better result! 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
Bo I will do it again.. Those samplings are horrible...  So for next year lets clip some shooting lanes first so we can have a better result!
Dilly Dilly...I second that motion... @--0--0105

Bo it nice to see you back at the range...nice shooting!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Glad you made it to the range Bo , nice shooting by the way . It's still in the low 40's here .  >:( ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 06:52:08 AM »
Thanks for the comments and think Deerhead and Split Toe are right on the money - need to clear out some shooting lanes this coming work weekend make sure that I hit the deer instead of the small limbs on the trees....you never know where a deer is going to pop out at.....will get out the old Bow saw and the tree pole saw and bring them down to the club this year

Yes, it makes me feel better to be at the range.....dilly, dilly.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad