New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New Sniper Rifle  (Read 771 times)

Online Bearclaw

• 12 Point
New Sniper Rifle
« on: April 10, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »
The Navy Seals are getting a new sniper rifle and it sounds pretty awesome. Imagine hitting your target when they never heard the shot. Good for nearly 3/4 of a mile. Pretty awesome weapon.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-marines-are-getting-a-new-sniper-rifle/ar-AAvvO07?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: New Sniper Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 08:29:21 PM »
Looks like it's actually the Marines that are picking up the "new" sniper tool, retiring their old .308s for the same .300 Win Mag sniper setup the Navy Seals have been using for quite a long time.  Was really surprised to hear that the Marines still had their snipers using .308.  But yeah, having one of those go through you at 1300 yards, some seconds before you even hear the shot would be a bit demoralizing for your team.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 07:04:24 AM »
Wow - Good news about the Marines new sniper rifle.....I have a couple, actually 4 300 Win Mags, two of them I would deadly out to 600 yards...that is the furthest I have shot it...I can see the Marine Sniper Rifle out to 1300 yards and reloading for them is key to the success and the life of the barrel will be shorten considerable.....Would like to see the specs on it like the trigger pull. Sure wouldn't be the 5 lbs, more like 2 lbs...wonder what length barrel they would use? how bout a 26" or even a 28".....here is a couple of more links folks can check out.....

http://riflebarrels.com/mk-13-mod-7-barrels/........
http://patriotgunnews.com/2018/04/04/marine-scout-snipers-to-get-new-mk-13-mod-7-rifles/

I remember Chris Kyle using a 300 Win Mag......

I will take those old worthless M40 sniper rifles off the Marines hands, they sure cannot carry two of them.....what is a few more 308's anyway....LOL....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:08:31 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »
i would like to know what load they are shooting. 180 grain? 3100 ft/sec?

,300 is a good load. that's what i shoot most ()*$%RT
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »
Yea, me too....if you can find the data, please post it or a link to the data...thanks....I remember all those years I took a 300 Win Mag out West for Elk and Mule Deer, my first choice was a old first generation, Blue Sendero by Remington. The 180 gn shot more accurately than the 200 or 165 gn bullets....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »
   Wow yea looks nice. at $12,000 plus it should be. I like the 300 win too.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 09:11:29 PM »
Bo & Yari - it took some digging but I think I may have found an answer to your question on the ammo.  Go to this link - the file talks about multiple calibers, so move to page 10 for an interesting bit of data on their .300 Win mag vs. .338 Lapua study.  Page 14 shows where they ended up.  220 gr Sierra MatchKing, 2879 fps at the muzzle, produced by Black Hills

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2009/infantrysmallarms/tuesdaysessioniii8524.pdf
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:15:06 PM by Madgomer »
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 11:13:45 PM »
Mad - Thanks for the great info, have download the PDF file and will study it later this morning....In the past, have tried the 200 Gn Sierra Game King many years ago, but never could get the accuracy I wanted out of it, especially at 200 yards. With today's newer powders might try the 220 gn powder using a very slow powder in it.....the 180 gn Barnes TSX delievered the accuracy I was looking for at 200 yards, slightly under an inch for 3 shots....I might have to order some more bullets and slow burning powder for my 26" heavy barrels on the Sendero's. Have a blued 7mm STW that is rare because Remington production run was limited. All or most all of the 26" heavy barrels made by Savage for the first generation Remington Sendero's back in the mid-90's.......

Each of this $12K rifles are hand made and each shot (tested out to 600 and 1300 yards?) before they are delivered, I would hope!....Wow,That is amazing weapon our boys will be using....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:36:52 AM »
Bo, I found another thread where a guy was claiming H1000 was the powder they used, but don't really have anything with a high degree of credibility to back up that statement he made.
and enjoy it!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
I am with Bo I could give one of them M40's a forever home for sure!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 12:23:21 PM »
I am with Bo I could give one of them M40's a forever home for sure!!

They need more field testers right! 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »
Really great looking long range platform they have there .  --7-8-9 ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 06:44:22 PM »
bo- i saw a wall full of bullets on a previous post. do you really need more bullets? --099-780 @--0--0117

thx mad. good info. i'm shooting 170 gr at approx 3100 ft/sec with my rifle. it seems to like the higher speed vs bigger bullet. i will hopefully have time to get out to a 500-600 yard range this summer and really test this load. famous last words. summers are awful short up here, especially this year
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 07:25:35 PM »
You older guys remember the Willis Jeeps you could buy in a wooden crate for $100 back in the 50's and 60's.....and now what are they worth, many thousands!! Same goes for the M40's....wish they would sell off their surplus M40...LOL...yea right....but it sure would be nice to have a Marine M40 that sure would be nice....heard some where that they change out barrels every 1000 rounds. wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those used barrels...LOL...a dream come true.....

Yes Yari - that is the the picture I can share with you guys here. It is the Barnes and Bergers bullets that I have. But it is not all of the bullets I have. Yes I have a wall of them way more than I could every shoot in my remaining time left of this planet...but I will try....I don't own any Hornady X-ELD's or ELD's bullets. I do have a bunch of Sierra Gameking and a bunch of Hornady GMX, SST, Amax, Swift, Speer, Lapua, CorBon, old Moly Barnes and Nosler bullets....I have took many pictures of my "hobby" over the years but will not share them with anybody....but just to say, I have enough, (really - you can never have enough), will probably will this summer order some new ELD's bullets and see what other manufacturers come out with. Do like the Accubonds for sure.....

Mad - I am using H1000 for the 285 gn Hornaday for my 338 Lapua.....that is a nice slow burning powder....my load is right at 99.0 grains of H1000 with a CCI-Mag Primer

Actually the 338 Lapua doesn't kick that much, but the muzzle blast is something else....when I take it to the range, make sure that folks two position on either side are not there or just give them a heads up what is fixing to take place....But a 180 gn pill going 3000 ft per sec is amazing....and accurate as well....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 08:46:49 PM »
bo- i actually had a 1953 willys in college. it was a blast until winter came. that free air conditioning was a little rough at 50 mph. top speed down hill was about 55mph. think -20 degrees at 55 mph. it was rough

as for too many bullets. i do get it. just giving you a hard time. i have countless baits that i've owned for years that haven't seen the water. believe it or not, i just ordered 40-50 more rapalas the other day. WE ALL HAVE ISSUES @--0--0105 @--0--0105

enjoy
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad