New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: stuck bullet  (Read 569 times)

Online notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
stuck bullet
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »
    A guy from work was shooting his .243 the other day and a bullet became lodged in the barrel. He said when he squeezed the trigger all here heard was the sound of powder burning for about 5 seconds. He was shooting at a coyote along a road and didn't find the cartridge case. He tried a cleaning rod and then they put a 3/16 inch stainless steel rod down the barrel and pounded on it with a hammer until the rod looked like the head of a nail. the bullet didn't even wiggle. I have never heard of this but I'm thinking it must be "welded" in the barrel from the burning powder. The bullet is stuck in the rifling by the chamber like it didn't move at all when fired.     ANY IDEAS?

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: stuck bullet
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 07:29:26 PM »
I'd say a new barrel to start with , was he shooting reloads or factory ammo . that will happen if you use the wrong powder , in fact blue dot sometimes does that when used in 357 reloads of 125gr bullets , it almost always junks the firearm .   ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
Pour some kroil down the barrel, and keep the firearm upright for a few days.  Then try to bump the bullet out.  I have read that you need to use a big hammer and use it with authority.  If you use a light hammer, you end up sticking the bullet tighter.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »
how far down the barrel? any way to drill out to center to weaken it?

i've never heard of that either. let us know what works
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »
WOW!!!    ???   :-[   :'(   @--0--0128

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:14:31 AM »
This is interesting situation...ouch!!!....first of all, you will probably have to remove the barrel to get relief here! There are many ways to do this but if you want to save the rifle, then start to break down the rifle and you are going to have to either tap it out from the objective end of the barrel and not the chambered end of it OR if it is not to far down the barrel drill and tap the back end of the bullet and it is a leaded or copper then maybe just maybe you can get the bullet out that way....if not take it to a good qualified gunsmith.....

At this point, maybe a new Douglas or a ER Shaw barrel might in order at this point....as sundowner suggested......

And as someone suggested use some good ammo!!!

I have a guy who was shooting up some "old" 38 Special ammo in a 357 Mag Colt Cobra and I was watching on the side and it sounded like a dud going off. This shooter guy wasn't paying attention and after firing it he did not look to see where it hit and I did, that is when I got his attention before he shot the next shot!! This was back in the late 70's and is Split Toe hunting buddy growing up....told him not to shoot and that dud was the last round we fired in it.....A few years ago I asked this guy and the told me that he had hammer it out and kept shooting it. Need to asked him what every happen to the Cobra...
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 06:48:13 PM »
  He was shooting reloads. We mentioned that we could drill out the bullet from the action area. He asked me to contact my gunsmith friend about the stuck bullet. I did and even offered to bring it to the gunsmith last week because I was going there, but he didn't bring the rifle for me to take. I'm going to keep my suggestions to myself and see how he handles it.

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »
I don't have any other ideas to aid in fixing. I'm interested to find out how far into the barrel the bullet traveled. Possible causes, over-sized bullet or an improper or missed powder charge. He said he heard powder burning for 5 minutes? Don't see how it could burn that long. A couple of other possibilities: an extremely worn throat that allowed bullet to jump out of line and wobble welded into lands or the case was too long and pinched the bullet in the lead. If that round had a full powder charge he's very lucky the chamber didn't explode. I don't think there's much point in trying to save the barrel. I agree with Bo and the others a re-barrel is in his future. Make sure he checks the action for damage as well. Perhaps a different gun is in his future.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 02:18:06 PM »
After all that pounding there is no way I'd continue using that barrel...it's time for a replacement...JMO
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
If powder burned for 5 min there is more to the story.  I would make sure a qualified gunsmith checked the gun out before doing a barrel swap and cycling another round through it.  Good luck!
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Online notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 06:09:31 PM »
    No reread my first post. The powder burned for about 5 seconds, not 5 minutes. The bullet is stuck in the riflings by the chamber. the bullet looks like it only moved about 1/4 to 1/2 inch into the rifling. The base of the bullet and the area around it are very black from the burning powder.  I  didn't get to see it but the 2 guys that worked on it told me what they saw.  I wish he had the cartridge case. It would be interesting to see it. He only has 2 other guns, a 223 and 30 06 so there is no way he put the wrong shell in. He said it chambered fine with no extra effort then normal.     If there was the proper powder charge in the case and something jambed the bullet in the barrel, the he's very lucky it didn't come apart.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
Really sounds like that bullet is fused in the barrel the powder in the cartage sounds like it flamed out ( acted like a jet ) would really like to know what the cartage looked like . he was really lucky it did not blowup .  ##$%#1118  ( acted like a one of those firework rockets )
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:24:19 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Online notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
    The owner of the gun drilled a hole thru the bullet then tried to pound it out again but still couldn't get it out. He the drilled it out with a bigger bit and then he was able to pound it out. That's as far as he has gone but the bullet is out.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »
I'd hope he gets that thing to a competent gunsmith for a thorough check if he ever intends to shoot it again.  He needs to understand if there's something wrong with the action or barrel that caused the issue, or if the issue caused some damage that renders it unsafe to shoot at this point.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 07:55:28 PM »
     I found out last week that he fired the rifle again. The 1st shot blew a primer and left a mark in the bolt face. 2nd shot flattened the primer more then normal and 3rd shot seemed normal. I can't believe he fired it. I would not of fired it without scoping the barrel.

New Page 3

Google Ad