New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: scope mounting (updated 5/25)  (Read 1008 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: scope mounting
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 08:08:52 PM »
bo- i did buy a wheeler torque screw driver. like i said, the levels are due here on wednesday.

i'll be using warne maxima rings and bases. both are 25# recommended torque. these are recommended by tract

mad- makes sense. thx for the heads up

i got butler creek flip covers. i was going to go w/ the neoprene bikini, but i'm use to the flip covers. old dog and new tricks you know   
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »
Bo has it down Yari the only thing I add is a strip of the thin double sided tape on my rings. I lay it in top and bottom and then mount the scope and tighten. It gives you that extra bite to hold the scope in place.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:46:53 PM by BLUETOE »
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »
Bo has it down Yari the only thing I add is a strip of the thin double sided tape on my rings. I lay itt in top and bottom and then mount the scope and tighten. I t give syou that extra bite to hold the scope in place.

never heard that one. thx
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »
Blue - Good idea...
Madgomer - Yes put the old blue Locktite on the treads of the screw not down the hole.....LOL.....
Yari - What kind of scope did you get? For some reason, Vortex came out and said that they tighten down to 18 inch pounds, and not the 25 inch pounds as the industry standard calls for......Vortex came out with that statement just last year....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 06:39:17 PM »
bo- i think the makers of the rings and bases set their own standards no the scope company. (unless they are also making the rings)

bo- i believe i posted i bought a tract toric 3x15x42 ultra hd. i thought i did @--0--0117

the bases are mounted. i'll get to the rings later this week. i really liked the wheeler torque screwdriver. very easy to use
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »
Just curious Yari - now that you have that torque wrench, would you say you've overtorqued or undertorqued stuff in the past when you've put it together with a calibrated hand (gut feel) instead of a calibrated tool? In my case I'm pretty sure I've been bearing down too hard on those little screws using just an allen wrench - I need to go do a little experimenting & see if I can get an estimate of how far off I've been.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 07:00:45 PM »
mad- my dad use to go ballistic growing up. i would strip or break off more bolts than you could imagine. so i was obviously over tightening

that said, 25# is pretty tight. i actually thought 25# would be lighter. i think it's because it's a torque screw drive. if it was a torque wrench, you would get better leverage 

maybe i just didn't have my Wheaties today @--0--0117 --099-780
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »
Yari - You are right, sorry...yes that is a good scope.....after mounting and trip to the range lets us all know how you like the scope....

But after reading some of my new Optics for 2018 articles in the trade magazines, be ready for stick shock...the price for optics have gone through the roof! you now have to spend about the same for glass as you do for the rifle....the most expensive was the Leupold VX6 that I paid a little over a grand for....Ouch!! I even have a Nightforce that I paid right at a grand for a few years ago....the Tract Optics are made in Japan according to Jon, one of the co-owners. But the optics are getting very pricey these days and can see someone paying up to 2 grand for a nice rifle setup, so don't take it to lightly when you start thinking about new rifle....get out the plastic CC and get ready to flop down a lot of cash.....

As far as torque values, I too have crack scope glass simple because I over tighten the screws...25 inch pounds it the industry standard for scope rings......but I tighten the stock to the bolt action to 55 inch pounds, the scope base(s) to the action at 45 inch pounds and the scope rings to 25 inch lbs...that is my standards that I go by for the past 25+ years....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »
this is the post where I have a pic of my new scope mounted on my browning .300. NOT

I took off at noon today so I could mount the scope. I couldn't get ahold of any clients, so why not. I got the scope all squared up and mounted. I had my torque fat wrench set to #25 as recommended. I got to the last couple mini-turns and one of the screws snapped. IT JUST MUST BE IN MY DNA. that's just not right!!!!

the good news is I called Tract and they are sending a whole new set of rings no questions asked. great service. it looks like i'll start from scratch again next week. I hope the rest of the weekend goes better
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
Re: scope mounting (updated 5/25)
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »
Yari - It is a holiday Friday and weekend, no wonder you could not get a hold of anybody...they all want to be with their families....

Ouch! Vortex calls for you scope torque to be 18 inch pounds and not 25 inch pounds.....be sure to rest the torque wrench, reset it back to "0" when it is not in use....I have talked with several engineers at the Wheeler and they have advise me to do this after each use.....Yep it has got to be in your DNA...LOL....that is awful kind of Tract to sned you a pair of new screws.....Many years ago I called Leupold and asked them for a few screws, so I must have gotten 25 base and 25 ring scews all 6-48...with the torx heads...still use them today..just about out...but they were free back then....

Yes, great service from TRACT....maybe I will need another scope this year?

Well now what are you going to go this weekend....LOL....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 06:41:25 PM »
bo- yes I read the instruction and do rest my torque screwdriver. the guys at Tract told me to torque to 20# and disregard the warne recommendation. tract is actually sending a new set of rings, not just the screws. great service

I think I will go fishing. I can't break bolts or screws on a boat. well???????????? if it can be done, i'll figure out a way @--0--0117 @--0--0100
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 09:41:08 PM »
Yari - I think we need you in the test department for our equipment, those guys in the field can always find unique ways to tear things up, we could use a naturally destructive person such as yourself to help us get ahead of them!     --099-780 @--0--0105 --099-780

seriously though, you may have a gift . . .
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 09:47:31 PM »
mad- seriously, how can you screw up w/ a torque screw driver? that's why I bought it. it had great reviews. 11 of the 12 screws worked perfectly. it should be fool proof if I follow the specs. it even had a test sheet in the pack testing perfect

i'll take it though. bull in a china shop. i'm one destructive dude @--0--0117 --099-780. I can build and break anything ##$%#117
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 09:53:41 PM »
I'm sure that 12th screw just had a defect in it.     Really.       Had to be that.

@--0--0124
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »
I'm sure that 12th screw just had a defect in it.     Really.       Had to be that.

@--0--0124

I will not tell my dad about this. --099-780 he will rehash all the other times I've 'meat hooked' a bolt in half. but with a torque screwdriver? that's a headshaker @--0--0117
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad