New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: minerals  (Read 444 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
minerals
« on: April 07, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »
it's only 12 degrees w/ plenty of snow on the ground, but it's time to get the minerals out today. it won't be fun busting through the snow, but i'm going stir crazy in this weather. dad has been very lightly feeding corn. i picked up another 4 bags i need to drop off, but freshing up the minerals will help

unfortunately, it'll be at least a month before i can get into the cabin. the snow map says 20-30" of snow up there. it's been a tough winter on the deer up there. this april snow really is tough on deer as they have used all their fat reserves already. a green up very soon is needed

40's by wednesday. it can't come to soon. normal is 52. 27" of ice was reported on the big lakes here. we are a long way from ice out
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
Re: minerals
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 09:24:09 AM »
Yari,
That is just mind boggling to an old southern feller who gets excited when the bird bath has ice on it a few times a year.
Such a difference in weather across this beautiful country from season to season!
Makes me wonder how the deer survive a winter when there is that much snow and ice. ##$%#1119
Treefarmer

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »
We have not had much snow in quite a while.  Ground is mostly bare, we get maybe 1/2" overnight, and when the sun comes up, the snow slowly disappears.  Daffodils are 3" high, which is not unusual, have seen them come up through the snow before.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 10:37:51 AM »
We have had our minerals out for a month now.  supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow.  been driving me crazy so i went to the farm and pushed out an old terrace that was in the way of a new food plot last night testing out the new tractor.  your right yari, spring can't come soon enough.  its tough on all the animals and makes everyone grumpy with each other like it is. 
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 05:52:18 PM »
it's out. some places the snow was over my knees. i cleared as much snow as i could before pouring the minerals out. i'm sure there will be plenty of waste, but this snow is around for at least a couple more weeks. like NWI said, we have another 3-6" coming tomorrow

we are a grumpy bunch up here. everyone i talk to is tired of this winter. it's been cold and long

it made no sense to look for sheds. too much snow. it'll be a couple weeks
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:41:22 PM »
Ground is bare here, still a few piles in the ditches from that 8" we had a couple weeks ago, calling for 1-3" tomorrow but won't stick around long.  Still, not much warm weather in the forecast for the next week.  At least we didn't have one of those early warm periods where all of the trees started to bud & then froze off later - seems like this is one of those years we're going to shift straight from winter to summer, with no spring to speak of.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 08:25:38 PM »
mad- i always say it all equals out. next month will be stinking hot and the black flies will kill me. if i could only be working at the cabin in this weather, i'd be fine w/ it. i'd much rather have cool than hot any day. but it's hard to work the fields w/ 20-30" of snow on the ground 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
I'm still using the snowmobile to check my Coyote sets here. No way to use a wheeler yet, the snow is to deep. I'm Coyote hunting in the mornings but we are suppose to get in the 40's this week. If the snow melts they get real hard to see.

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 01:56:21 PM »
it looks like the snow today will stay mostly south. hopefully we don't get more than an inch

not- did you find a landowner in SD? i applied for my landowner tag this week. if i don't get that, then there is a general deer tag draw later
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 05:40:03 PM »
They're still claiming we might get 2" here this evening.  Was out trying to do some yard work this afternoon, soft & muddy everywhere.  Looking forward to some warm sunshine to get things going again and eliminate some of the mud.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 07:06:58 AM »
Wow and I'm upset we had a few days in the 40s and 50s.  Went to Wal-Mart yesterday morning at 5:30.  Every truck we passed on the highway was pulling a boat.  Crappie season is here!!!

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 10:01:12 AM »
Wow and I'm upset we had a few days in the 40s and 50s.  Went to Wal-Mart yesterday morning at 5:30.  Every truck we passed on the highway was pulling a boat.  Crappie season is here!!!

over 27" of ice on a big local lake. we will be lucky if the ice is out by our 5/5 opener. i haven't even thought about the boat @--0--0100 @--0--0100
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad