New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: In search of the limit. The 2018 Spring Turkey Season.  (Read 866 times)

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
In search of the limit. The 2018 Spring Turkey Season.
« on: April 04, 2018, 01:33:23 PM »
Well... I decided this year I was going to use a lot of vacation, cover a lot of miles, and make a valiant attempt to shoot as many turkeys in the face as I possibly could. Mother Nature hasn't been exactly the most cooperative, but the Good Lord has been handing out the blessings. I have been jumping back and forth between some new ground I picked up in Mississippi and my old stomping grounds in Bama and so far it's been a good one. They haven't all been straight off the limb, in your face, blowing the needles out of the pines hunts; but, I have worked hard, hung in there with them, and made the most of the hand I was dealt. I'll be in Tennessee and Kentucky in the coming weeks and also trying to finish up Bama and The Sip, and hopefully will have some more pictures to share with everyone here once I'm finished. I'll try to post some photos in the comments below and I just may lose all sanity I have left in me when it's over (I may have done that already  @--0--0105 ).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:03:09 PM by ZLong19 »
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: In search of the limit. The 2018 Spring Turkey Season.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:38:49 PM »
If you gotta go insane that's a good way to do it at least, enjoy!!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »
The First One:
What can I say and where can I start here. My 6 year old has wanted to go with me ever since he could talk. This year (even though a lot of doubters said he was too young) I decided we would see what we could do. He has a Rossi 22/410 single shot that we practiced with with 2.5 inch shells, where they wouldn't knock his teeth out, and he was drilling the target at 20 yards. I decided we would graduate to a gun that means a lot to me... my 20 gauge youth I shot my first everything with. We practiced on trigger sticks and I new we would have to be in a blind so we made it a point to practice that way. Well we slip in my new lease the day of the youth opener and I'm beside myself with excitement cause I know we stand a good chance of at least a jake (legal for youths in Mississippi). After hearing a few gobbles on the limb, I look out the back of the blind and three longbeards are coming down the gasline! Luckily they are behind us and we can go ahead and steady the gun out the front of the blind and wait. I call to them and hear they come! They ease around the blind and right in our lap to the decoys and I told him to let it eat. I guess the excitement got the best of him and he swung and missed! I calmed him down and told him we'd have another opportunity and sure enough a few hours later we had a single longbeard come in only problem was little man missed again!!! He was dejected this time and I was hurting for him myself. After making the most of that day we had to leave early for baseball with no other shot opportunities. I was a little scared of rain the next day but Reese insisted that we go because he didn't want to be defeated. We made the trip back over the next morning, settled in the blind, and were excited as some birds fired up not far at all from us. Same situation, different day. I peeked out the back of the blind and boom a whole flock of turkey were making their way down the gasline. We ready the gun again and here comes some more longbeards and same thing as the day before... clean miss. By this time Reese is dejected and a bit emotional cause he said he was doing everything the same as us shooting at the target. I asked him if he wanted to leave and to my surprise he said he wasn't leaving until I toted a turkey out for him. Game on! After a long while with not much activity I called and boom right out in front of us one answered me. We got ready once again and this time he wouldn't be denied!!! I was beside myself with pride and proudness, couldn't keep it together and cried like a baby because of how happy I was. Reese finally did it! 11 3/4" beard and 1 3/8" hooks. My little man has finally been introduced to this crazy thing called turkey hunting!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:35:43 PM by MI_Bowhunter »
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »
good for him keeping after it. nice work reese!!!

you must have a ton of birds down there. that's a lot of action
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »
First lag of season was typical early season. Not much gobbling on the ground but when one did, he was pretty much dead. I did whiff on one at 40 yards so there should be one more pic  @--0--0105
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:39:37 PM by MI_Bowhunter »

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
Second Lag has been more about it though... More gobbling and able to hang with birds all day and eventually get em to do right. Patience has killed most of these turkeys, not some jam up calling. I think the next few weeks will be special. Hopefully more to come.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:43:10 PM by MI_Bowhunter »

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 02:33:24 PM »
I have no clue why the pics are sideways either....  @--0--0135

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 06:19:44 PM »
Congrats Z, especially to the young man for sticking with it!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »
first, you need a bigger freezer buddy. sweet

second, do you have multiple bird limits or are you hunting that many states?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »
 ##$%#14

Yari, we can kill 5 in bama and 3 in Mississippi, 4 in tennessee, and 2 in kentucky. I may venture further north if the right deal comes along as the season progresses here.

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 07:45:13 PM »
Great birds!!

Looks like you laid the smack down on those thunder chickens!!!

Congrats!!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »
##$%#14

Yari, we can kill 5 in bama and 3 in Mississippi, 4 in tennessee, and 2 in kentucky. I may venture further north if the right deal comes along as the season progresses here.

you still have some playing going on. that's a pile of birds. MN and WI are both draw tags
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 05:52:47 AM »
Z congrats on a great start and to Reese... @--0--0133
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 06:09:51 AM »
Congrats to you and Reese both, that sounds like it was an exciting couple of days. If you run out of tags down south, our season doesn't end until Memorial Day (Last Day in PA) You can also get two tags in PA if you want. One comes with the purchase of your hunting license.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Possum

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 07:29:02 AM »
Z you can stop texting me pictures of dead birds and come and call me in one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Freelance Outdoor Writer

New Page 3

Google Ad