New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Fishing lake Erie  (Read 426 times)

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Fishing lake Erie
« on: April 04, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
I just got invited on a fishing trip in Sandusky Ohio to fish for Walleye in lahe Erie. The trip is scheduled for June 22 and 23. It's a Charter trip but I have never fished for Walleye so if anybody has any tips I would appreciated them. Thanks in advance.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Fishing lake Erie
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »
listen to the charter captain. he will tell you all you need to know. i'm guessing he will have all the gear set up and ready to go.

that time of year, it's probably trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses.

good luck. send lots of pics
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:40:21 AM »
My guess is also trolling. Lots of fast action when you hit the fish. Once you "pop" the line from the outrigger, give it a lot of time to get to the back of the boat before you start reeling him in. Or you will end up with a big mess real quick.  Best tip I can give you is just have fun.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »
I just got invited on a fishing trip in Sandusky Ohio to fish for Walleye in lahe Erie. The trip is scheduled for June 22 and 23. It's a Charter trip but I have never fished for Walleye so if anybody has any tips I would appreciated them. Thanks in advance.
My guess is by that time in June on the western basin the charters will be drift fishing and throwing worm harnesses, or they will be trolling, the jigging period is pretty much over by then. If it's trolling you are going along for a boat ride, the captain or 1st mate will rig up all of the rods for trolling and set the lines either on plainer boards, outriggers, downriggers to the depth and trail, when a rod goes off with a fish on you jump up and crank in the fish and wait for the next bite. If they are drift fishing and throwing worm harnesses, you actually get to fish with the rod and reel in your hands at all times, cast and reel. If this is the case always follow the instruction of the mate or captain. (Most fun) All charter captains have their own style of fishing, they know the lake and try their best to put you on fish. If the walleye aren't cooperating, don't be shy and ask the captain to put you on some good perch. Good Luck and have a blast.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 02:06:14 PM »
i agree w/ gut. i'd much rather have the rod in my hand and try to entice the fish. i'm not a trolling/downrigger guy. it's great for beer drinking, but not to exciting IMO
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
Thanks everybody I figured it would be just like Rockfishing here with the Capt and Mate having everything ready. I hope we get to drift and fish I like that way better than trolling but fishing is fishing!! Thanks Gut I'll keep the Perch in mind caus eI like catching enough for a fish fry!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »
it all depends on were ya go..mid to late June in a great time for eyes and jumbo perch...drift the sand bars...and jig the rip-rap (stone and rock) bottoms...troll the channel edges, Eire holds some monsters in both species...we used to use Erie-Dearies a lot way back when...slow roll drifts...jigging and even moderate speed trolling...produced tons of fish...the charter Capt...will have it figured out...cause if he aint on the fish he aint getting customers...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 06:15:46 AM »
Thanks everybody I figured it would be just like Rockfishing here with the Capt and Mate having everything ready. I hope we get to drift and fish I like that way better than trolling but fishing is fishing!! Thanks Gut I'll keep the Perch in mind caus eI like catching enough for a fish fry!!

When you have a Capt & 1st mate as "GREAT" as Randy & Gut it's easy peasy. Just wondering though, little guy how many perch can you eat?  --099-780
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 09:39:46 AM »

When you have a Capt & 1st mate as "GREAT" as Randy & Gut it's easy peasy. Just wondering though, little guy how many perch can you eat?  --099-780
Aaagh you know depending on size 8 or 10 maybe!!!  ;D That's bone in whole fish. If it's fillets I don't know cause I lose count!!! --099-780
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad