New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 22-250 AI  (Read 501 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: 22-250 AI
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 02:32:54 AM »
I have several 22-250's and love them all, they all shoot dime size groups or under at 100 yards....I have shot plenty of quarter size groups at 250 yards....never thought about an Ackley in a 22-250....maybe I should...because of their twist in the barrels, all of them like a heavier than 69 grain pill.....They are amazing little rounds....

Foxhunter - Sounds like you love your 22-250, what grain bullet do you shoot in yours??

Notsams - We need pictures of the 22-250 AI.....please post them.....would love to see a work of art.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 08:18:52 PM »
I have begun to test the 22-250 AI. I am using Federal 22-250 brass to fire form into 22-250 AI. Rem 9 1/2 primers, H4831sc powder and 80 grain nosler custom competition bullets. 3 shots thru the crony showed 3300, 3303 and 3306 fps. The rifle shoots good but I am going to try some other powders to see if I can get more velocity with less pressure signs. I have shot groups at 1000 yards  so far and if the conditions are right I am going to try out to 1300 yards this weekend. The scope is going to be a problem because it is an adjustable objective model, but at 800 yards it is maxed out so  I cant adjust it anymore. The further out I get the worse the sight picture gets.  The plan for this rifle is to shoot Coyotes out to 1000 yards.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 10:09:30 PM »
Notsams - What kind of pressure signs are you having?? Necks, Shoulders or Primer Pockets or ??, Just wondering

How far off the lans are you seating your 80 gn Noslers?? Just wondering....If I get signs or pressure on any of my loads, I will seat the bullet a little deeper (I am talking about .005" deeper and not .05") say go from .020 to .025 as an example) and redo your test....also the most common solution is to reduce your load by .2 tenths of a grain of powder until the signs disappear...I would suggest that you keep track of the number of times your reload each piece of brass...also anneal the necks. I do every three of four times the brass is fired, this is what I do...and over the years, it seems to help with the pressure signs to anneal the brass....and generally with each "flyer" that I have, will single out that piece of brass and look it over carefully when I get home from the range....

On the 308's will never shoot out the barrel on one of those rifles. Am a slow poke when it comes to the loads...I generally start off at 82% to 85% load factor then reduce it from there....until accuracy is archived....finding that 83% works great for the 308's....

Also have a 270WSM with it 26" Kreiger Barrel and Stiller Action, Jewel Trigger, that the loads are near the top of the load chart. I use the 140 gn Accubonds on it and Viht N170 and use close to 63.2 gns of power for it....and it is near 100% load factor...I think 65 gns is 100%....I have notice that on most of my magnums, you have to use the upper % of load factor to get the accuracy you want out of it, and for the long actions like the 270, 280 and 30-06, you have to use around 90% and for the shorter actions, I start off using at my standard 83% and tweak from there....

But every rifle likes what it likes and you have to find that out and it will take much time and many different loads....I don't plan on shooting anything past 600 yards, heck cant see any critters past 400 yards.....but that is my age showing....LOL.....above are just some thoughts....

Keep all of in-formed about both rifles, I am interested in the 22-250 AI.......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »
 Bo the only pressure signs are the bolt lift is getting harder. If I drop back 1/2 a grain of powder then the bolt lift is real easy. I don't have a way of measuring the distance the bullet is off the lands but it is very close to touching but not touching. I am going to seat the bullet a little deeper in the case but I want to experiment with a faster burning powder too.

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 06:32:08 AM »
notsams, your cartridge length is probably the most important aspects of loading for consistent bullet performance. The hornady length gauges and modified cases aren't that expensive (under 40.00) compared to the information they can give you. If you are still holding your COL at 2.7 you are really jamming the pill into the lands.

I'm glad you recognized pressure warning signs. VERY VERY important to understand this. An 80gr pill at elevated velocity will erode your throat rapidly, just a warning. The density of H4831sc is .0735, if you go slightly slower with say IMR7828 it has a density of .0725 or Alliant RL22 has a .0697 density. I'm sure you also know that the 80gr pill will reduce the powder capacity so be careful not to compress the load. I'd suggest determining the actual volume of your case/bullet and load by density.

Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 12:56:06 PM »
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 03:12:22 PM »
Good Points Dutch....on my 243's use either RL22 or 4831 for the 100 gn Pill.....on my 22-250's, using a 50 to 60 gn Sierra GK I use a medium burning powder like a RL15 or H380 in that range anyway....3 out of the 4 of the 22-250's have 26" barrels and the other one has a 24" barrel....use a heavier pill on it and uses a 69 to 77 gn pills and uses the slower burning powder with very good results...Good Points Dutch....Never thought about the barrel eroding the barrel quicker at higher velocities.....

Thanks for the you tube videos for reference.....You tube has anything and everything on it that you need!!! Wow.....Notsams, if you listen to Dutch, you cannot ever go wrong....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 08:50:21 PM »
Great videos Dutch . thanks .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 07:22:49 PM »
Dutch thanks for the great info. what I do is color the bullets with a black sharpie. I then chamber the ammo in the rifle and adjust my seating die accordingly. My bullets aren't touching the lands but they are very close. I plan on trying other powders too but for now I think I will back off about 100 FPS and shoot for accuracy. The gunsmith that built this rifle has 2 powders he wants me to try. Both powders are a faster burn rate then 4831SC. I have been looking on line for load data for the 80 gr bullets but not finding much. My Sierra loading book is all I have for load data. I haven't been able to shoot long range  the last 2 weekends and not this coming weekend either. The rifle is shooting good to 1000 yards and I want to keep going until I run out of adjustment on the scope.

New Page 3

Google Ad