New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: TruGlo Tru Tec 2 MOA Red Dot Scope  (Read 488 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
TruGlo Tru Tec 2 MOA Red Dot Scope
« on: April 01, 2018, 07:28:20 AM »
Just got through ordering a TruGlo tru tec 30mm 2 MOA red dot and green laser for around $250 from Larry's Place. Originally mounted the AIM illuminated crosshairs (both red and green crosshairs and a green laser I got at Summberblast during their auction...this is a perfect scope for my 9mm Hi-Point Carbine....I thought, it is too small for my max range of 50 yards. Then pull off the scope pile one of 3 Vortex Scopes that I have in that pile. It was a Crossfire II, 2-7X x 32mm, mounted it on the Picatinny rail that is standard on the Hi-Point and it looked all in all very good, clear scope, focus was good at 30 yards but as I got use to the scope I left it on the 9mm Carbine for 3 days and each day would pick it up and look through it and each day became more and more disillusion with the scope. Not the scope fault, it is still a very good scope for the money and finally took it off and ordered a TruGlo red dot 2 MOA, 30mm tube for it.

Went ahead and downloaded the manual from TruGlo website and was reading it.....I first thought it was like the AIM and other similar Red Dot scopes where it takes two batteries - One for the laser and one for the illumination for the cross-hairs....both different batteries. This TruGlo takes a single CR123a Battery. I have a couple of Surefire Flashlights that take 2 of these batteries and they last about an hour to an hour and a half before I have to change them.....so have no idea how long the battery life is, but a recent interview with a TruGlo rep says that these batteries will last for years......yea right! He was paid to say that....but if it last a couple of hours that would be great....that is the only down side that I see in this red dot scope....

As I said 50 yards is it max range. I will be taking it to the range with me after I get the TruGlo mounted on the Hi-Point Carbine.....a full report will be forthcoming......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: TruGlo Tru Tec 2 MOA Red Dot Scope
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 09:32:27 AM »
i believe that is the same battery i use in my leica ranging bino. i think it says 1000 readings in the manual

as for the red dot, i have one on my .44 super redhawk. i'm not impressed. i much preferred my crosshair scope i originally had on it. the crosshair is far more accurate to my eye

let us know how you like it
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 11:21:05 AM »
Yari - Also have the Leica Rangefinder, it is the 1200 model, bought it new in 2008, great product and the best glass on the rangefinder market, in my opinion....I just checked mine and you are right, it is the same battery...have an extra battery in the Swarovski Binoculars and Leica 1200 Rangefinder case that I keep both of them in....have never changed the battery in the Leica yet.....LOL....I need to check the extra battery to make sure it is still good, have a couple of dozen batteries that I bought long time ago need to check them as well.....

I had a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7X x 32mm on it for three days but this rifle will serve as a home defense weapon so I think if I need it, and God forbid that I do, everything will happen quick and at close range....I found out that the 2-7X is good but I will need to be able to site fast. Not worried about accuracy, with 10 shots per magazine, and have plenty of extra magazines, should be OK...hope so anyway....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 12:49:21 AM »
Got it in yesterday afternoon and am still learning about it...one battery not two, like I thought, but it looks simple and easy to install...will probably mount it this weekend, but still will play with it and learn all about it.....Read the owners manual last night and it only a few pages long....referred to the one I downloaded from the TruGlo website and re-read it...again....

Will put extra batteries , in the range bag and use this range bag for both the carbine and the pistol magazines which will have both in it......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 06:20:26 AM »
Played with it and got it mounted on the Hi-Point 9mm Carbine...now to get it to the range and get it sighted in at 50 or closer yards...it takes one battery CR123A Battery which I have two small Surefire flashlights that take the same battery.....I have it out and still trying to see both adjustments that the owners manual does not addresses. The laser has windage and elevation adjustments and so does the 30mm scope....wonder if your use the windage and elevation adjustments on the scope first then use the laser windage and elevation as fine adjustments or vise versa?

But so far so good....wonder how this will work on a bight day? And if it doesn't show that brightly, wonder how it would sight in just using the red (geen) dot in the 30 mm tube??

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 08:50:55 AM »
didn't you get a tube extension for bright days? it's like a sunscreen. otherwise, bright sun is an issue w/ mine
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »
Yari - It did not come with a tube extender for those type days...this will be a short range (50 yards at the most, maybe shorter) weapon used for plinking and home defense....

I know what you are thinking, because I as think the same thing.....

Now bore sighting this or any other AR with a typical bore sighter is a problem.....normal bore sighter do not go that high. I have tried the adjustable bore sighter and it does not help on bit. Leupold use to put one out but it never did work so I sent it back to Midway, this was a few years ago...so what is the solution? Ordered a height adjuster for the arbor that goes into the barrel to do some adjusting...it did not work either....so hear is what I have done.....See pictures....

For all my AR style rifles I own I have used this to some degree of success, it gets me on paper at 50 yards for sure and then take it out to 100 and then 200 yards...

You guys know that these little "stocking-stuffers" presents you guys get for Christmas from your spouse. You thank her and then put it in your tool box and practically forget about it....This laser level was one of those gifts (from the first wife!). After failing to try to get something to work many years ago for the AR bore sighter and maybe I am missing something here and you guys will "enlighten" me and hope you do. But for now, this is how I am using the stocking-stuffer....

I first level the AR style rifle in the gun vise using shims and other things...put levels (have 7 of them) on the rifle and the scope. then after getting the scope level and mounted, will next try to bore sight it....first will put the laser on top of the scope and turn on the laser. As you can see from photo 4174 you can get the left right solved by using it to line up the scope with the vertical laser...next you lay the laser of it side (left of right it doesn't matter) I use the level built into the laser to level it up and will stick another level onto the laser just to make sure that the horizontal is level. Next I will adjust my crosshairs on my scope for the horizontal. This is a cumbersome method but it does work for me and it does get me on paper at 50 yards and then can go from there......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad