New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: .17 HMR?  (Read 882 times)

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: .17 HMR?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »
the only issues i've heard are the .17 is tough to keep clean. i have also heard rumors of the bullets vaporizing in extreme cold. i can't verify either of these though

i always go w/ the 'bigger is better' theory when it come to guns. when in doubt, go bigger IMO
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MKMGOBL

• Spike
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
MKMGOBL - You stated that you love your 17WSM....tells us more about it...I am curious myself, have read the reviews, held the rifle and looked at the ammo it shoots....is it a tac driver? What Scope are you using on your Savage and which ammo are you using....

It's a shooter alright @--0--0119 I have the Vortex 2-7X32 and I'm shooting the Winchester 17WSM 20gr polymer tip at are screaming at 3000 fps. After sighting it in at our gun range, I was destroying pieces of clay birds that were laying on the 100 yard berm. The one thing I didn't like about it turned out to be a brain fart. After a shot I through a magazine, I'd put the gun on safety to load another magazine. When I got back on the bag to continue shooting, there was nothing on the trigger! When I was at home shooting chipmunks in the backyard from my bedroom window @--0--0103 it was doing it again but more often. Turns out (which took me a while to figure this out!) that putting it on safe before opening the bolt, keep the bolt from engaging or resetting the trigger. Knucklehead move on me...LOL

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 07:24:48 AM »
I've been silent for long enough. SOOO time for more Dutch's Dulldrum Throne Material  ???

Rimfire Cartridge Killing Power 17HMR & 22WMR

Assuming a proper hit in the animal's vitals, killing power is determined by a complex of factors including (but not entirely limited to) the width and depth of the wound channel. This, in turn, is influenced by bullet energy, frontal area, sectional density, and expansion characteristics.

There have been many systems devised to compare the killing power of rifle cartridges, most of them by people with a pre-existing bias of one sort or another. The best and least biased of such systems is the Optimum Game Weight (OGW) formula devised by Edward A. Matunas and published in the Lyman 47th Reloading Handbook. Matunas tried to account for a variety of factors, not just caliber or kinetic energy or momentum, the major failing of most killing power formulas. OGW is not perfect. It seems to be most reliable when dealing with mainstream centerfire rifle cartridges. Since we are dealing with much less powerful small bore rimfire cartridges in this comparison, view the following OGW information as a comparative tool, not as an absolute guide. That, in any case, is usually the best approach when dealing with killing power formulas.

Here are the two best long range loads for OGW comparison:
.17 HMR, 17 grain = 7 pounds at muzzle, 5 pounds at 50 yards, 3 pounds at 100 yards, 2 pounds at 150 yards, 1 pound at 200 yards.
.22 WMR, 40 grain = 17 pounds at muzzle, 9 lbs. at 50 yards, 5 pounds at 100 yards, 3 pounds at 150 yards, 2 pounds at 200 yards.

The OGW figure estimates the optimum live weight of the animal for which the cartridge is best suited at any given range. Note that the OGW weight is not the biggest animal the cartridge will kill, merely the optimum size animal for that range. Also note that individual bullet performance is not a factor in calculating optimum game weight; it is assumed that the hunter will choose an appropriate bullet for the job at hand. And it is also assumed that the bullet will hit the heart/lung area of the animal; brain or spine shots would obviously result in much higher OGW numbers, but they are not considered.

The OGW figures indicate that the .22 WMR has superior potential killing power at all ranges. Summarizing the .22 WMR has about as much killing power at 100 yards as the .17 HMR does at 50 yards. However the .22WMR has a MPBR of about 125 yards, the .17HMR has a MPBR of about 165. The .22 WMR is probably the better choice for large varmints and small predators within the limit of its MPBR. Beyond the MPBR, accurate bullet placement becomes increasingly difficult as the range increases, and bullet placement is the most important factor in actual killing power so the .17 has that advantage.

After all this reading it comes down to your preference and choice.  @--0--0117 Yup it's up to you.  --09--0

Just Remember  ##$%#112 PRACTICE...PRACTICE...PRACTICE

Golly I feel better now.  ##$%#115

Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Online gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 11:29:42 AM »
My wife's go to gun is a scoped Ruger 10/22. She uses 22 LR shells only. She hasn't had an opportunity on a yote yet. Another option CCI Stingers.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »
Thanks Dutch, I had read that very article on OGW just in the last week or so.  It is one of them that has me leaning more towards the .22 WMR for my extremely better half.  Wish those folks at Traditions would put their little Crackshot out in that caliber, it's just the kind of gun I'd like to get for her.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 12:42:10 AM »
Mad - Yes, I agree that the 22WMR is a better yote round at closer ranges, say about 75 and in yards? I have shot them with 22WMR (long before the 17HMR came along) wonder how this 17WSM would do on yotes at 100 yards and in??

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 02:46:13 AM »
several years ago I shot a good sized yote using my Marlin .17HMR...shot was right at 75 yards..hit him just behind the left shoulder...flopped once and was just plain graveyard dead...used the 20gr polymer tipped CCI round...no exit wound...pick the bugger up by his tail and his lungs ran out his nose...guy that I gave him to skinned it out and did a sort of autopsy on it...told me everything in the chest was jelly or pure liquid...not real sure I would take it past the 75 yard range..but have enough confidence to at least that far...works like a dream for ground hogs out to 150...pops them open like a busted pumpkin...

TT @--0--0107   
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

New Page 3

Google Ad