New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: .17 HMR?  (Read 749 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
.17 HMR?
« on: March 31, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »
Made a mistake a few years ago and bought a Rossi single shot .223 thinking it would be a nice simple and good shooting option for my wife (not a gun person) in case a yote or other vermin showed up when I wasn't around.  Mistake #1 was that it was a bull barrel and has terrible balance, hard to hold for offhand shooting, especially for a smaller person.  Mistake#2 is that it's not a great shooter either.   Would like to stick with the concept of a single shot break action for simplicity, would prefer to find one in .22 mag.  So far all I'm finding in the size I'm hoping for is the Traditions crackshot in .17 HMR.  Looking for your opinions on that round for a yote out to 100 yds or suggestions on other rifles to consider for a small framed person who doesn't do a lot of shooting (yeah, I keep trying to fix that too).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
Re: .17 HMR?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
222 if you find it will work nicely I believe
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 12:11:13 PM »
222 if you find it will work nicely I believe
Can't disagree with you on that Dave, but since I have multiple .223s already and all of the reloading stuff set up, I'd probably go that way again rather than a .222.  For now was leaning towards a rimfire for the better half, and at the moment would prefer a .22 mag but can't seem to find any in a single shot.
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »
.22 mag is a sweet little round

Offline MKMGOBL

• Spike
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 10:47:47 PM »
They are hard to find but Henry made a sweet single shot bolt action 22mag. H007M is the item number You can also search for a Ruger No. 1 in 22mag. Beware though, it carries a big price tag --7-8-9
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:55:24 PM by MKMGOBL »

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 07:05:29 AM »
Yep, I love the Ruger #1, have one in 7mm mag, but hoping to spend a bit less at the moment. 
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 07:52:31 AM »
Mad - I love a 22 MAG and a 17 HMR that I own a bunch of them....the 17 HMR is a bit more accurate than any of my 22 WMR that I have. The CZ-455 and the CZ-512 Tactical (semi-auto) are good shooters....both are 22 WMR (Mags). The 455CZ is a Switch Barrel Rifle, in other words all I have to do to change calibers is to switch the barrels out to the desired caliber....Lilja custom barrels made a HM2 barrel for a few years but now they have discontinued making them now, apparently no sales. Should have gotten me one back then, but now they are impossible to find...still looking for one of them.....saw one of Gunbroker about 2 years ago, but snooze - you loose!!

Ruger makes a M77/22WMR bolt action rifle with their patent rotary magazine. I bought one with Jumbo Sports was closing out it stores in Atlanta. Got it back here to TN and shot it, could not hit the side of the barn with it!!! no matter what ammo I use in it....so I channeled out the stock for a Green Mountain 20" heavy barrel in 17HMR on it. I put a 3 lb trigger spring in it and a new Tasco World Class Plus scope on it and took it back to the range and it shot great at 100 yards under an inch! Like it so much that I bought another M77/22WMR from Bud's gun shop and did the same thing to it.....this time purchased a Green Mountain 20" heavy barrel in 22WMR (mag). Had to channel out the stock, put the same 3 lb trigger and scope on it as the first one....The 17HMR shoots more accurate than the 22 Mag does.....

In my opinion the 17 HMR is more accurate than the 22 Mag is, but not much more. If you get a good barrel on a 17HMR and use good ammo, you should be OK......you can get the 17HMR Ammo in 17 gn and 20 gn bullets...Just let us know which 17HMR you get.....how bout a Cooper?

I am thinking about getting a Savage A17, it is their semi-auto 17HMR, 10 shot rotary magazine (similar to Ruger's). Will put the Vortex CF II 2-7X x 32mm on it......

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
why are you limited to a single shot?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MKMGOBL

• Spike
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 10:21:30 AM »
I've got both the Savage B-mag 17WSM and the Marlin 22mag. I absolutely love the Savage B-mag! I was drilling clay pieces on the 100yd berm at our gun club.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 01:45:14 PM »
Not absolutely limited to a single, but like the simplicity of it for those under my roof who don't do much shooting.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »
Not absolutely limited to a single, but like the simplicity of it for those under my roof who don't do much shooting.

i get it. just tell them it's a single shot bolt action. @--0--0117
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 05:14:19 PM »

i get it. just tell them it's a single shot bolt action. @--0--0117
Yep, that's Plan B!
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 01:03:29 AM »
MKMGOBL - You stated that you love your 17WSM....tells us more about it...I am curious myself, have read the reviews, held the rifle and looked at the ammo it shoots....is it a tac driver? What Scope are you using on your Savage and which ammo are you using....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 02:34:23 PM »
I have a Savage 17 HMR. It's a tack driver. I have Cabelas calibe specific scope. Awesome setup.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 04:23:47 PM »
Any of you have any experience with the .17 HMR on a coyote?  From the research I've done so far it sounds like the 17 grain round is too fragile, but at ranges out to 75 or so with careful shot placement the 20 grain round has enough energy and penetration to work reasonably well.  Anyone want to agree or dispute that position?  Still sounds like a .22 mag with 40 grain hollow points is a better short range yote getter.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad