New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: I've pulled the trigger a few times this week!  (Read 281 times)

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
I've pulled the trigger a few times this week!
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »
To say that this was an eventful, yet expensive week for me would be an understatement!  On the farming/calving end of things it started off with a midnight C-section, cow survived calf did not, then the next night was a breech but no feet, calf died there too unfortunately.  Then during those days came an offer from my grandmother to buy another one of her farms which I accepted.  So I added another 80 acres of hunting ground there plus my mom's uncle said he would sell me 17 acres to give me road access on the back side of the farm.  Won't do much here food plot wise except for minerals as will need to pasture it to pay for it.  Then today I was able to pull the trigger on a slightly used john deere 4720 with 700 hours on it with a 90 inch finishing mower, self leveling loader and 6 foot tiller for 32500.  Priced everything out new would cost well over 50k so I feel I did pretty good!  My question is, is the tiller the right tillage piece for the foot plots or should I be selling it and looking for a 3 point disc?  I've never had the best looking food plots after I used a rotary tiller, but conditions were much drier then too.  I've been doing plots for a long time just wondering what everyone's preference is when it comes to tillage.  Will be making new plots this year as well as planting existing.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: I've pulled the trigger a few times this week!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:14:37 PM »
wow, what a tough week. it's always hard to lose calves. sorry to hear that.

congrats on the new land and tractor though. i use a disc only because my ground is too rocky. i would like to till it. i think it gives a better finish. i think you will need a roller though or heavy drag or small seeds will get buried

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:26:37 PM »
Tiller vs disk will depend a lot on the soil types you're dealing with and the type of stuff you want to grow.  Disking makes faster work of busting up the ground but the tiller will give you a very fine seedbed under the right conditions.  Have been keeping my eye out for a pto driven tiller but haven't found one yet in my price range - would like to use it for plots and gardening.  Congrats on the new land & the equipment, sorry to hear about your calves. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 06:32:57 AM »
Once we started using the power tiller for food plots, the disc hasnt been used...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 06:57:57 AM »
You sure had an expensive week....like everyone else, sorry to hear about your calves, but glad you picked up some more ground and a new toy to put it into use.  I used to be a moldboard plow and disc guy until I bought my tiller.  Like HM said, I haven't used a disc since, but soil conditions should dictate what you use.  If it's rocky use the disc, if its anything else you are going to love the tiller.  I use a seven point spring tooth cultivator/ripper/scarifier first to break the soil then hit it with the tiller.  It puts a lot less stress on the PTO and pto shaft with the ground already busted up.  I actually upgraded to a larger pto shaft to withstand more horsepower as the one that came with it busted. 

Does the tiller have forward turning tines or reverse turning tines?  If they turn forward the tiller will push the tractor.  If they are reverse turning it will pull the tractor backwards and you will have to use 4WD.  Mine is reverse turning and I LOVE IT!!!  Post some pictures of your new stuff!!!

New Page 3

Google Ad