New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Inaugural Bush-hogging!  (Read 1039 times)

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Inaugural Bush-hogging!
« on: March 22, 2018, 02:40:58 PM »
Well, I finally had a little free time to mow down last years weedy growth at the new farm.  The fields have turned out to be beautiful rolling hills with scattered mature hardwoods (pecans, sycamores, oaks).  We can finally see for the first time how the fields look.  It will take me about 5 days to mow the entire place.  I'm still not sure if I want to put any food plots in these fields as they are so sandy and shifty.  I may just use the natural contour and lay of the land in lieu of a plot in these locations.  I have included some pictures, and ramifications, of not knowing the lay of the land (luckily I knew a guy with a backhoe that pulled me out).  Also, some of the hills were steeper than I expected so I will be purchasing some more suitcase weights for the front of the tractor.  We will be mowing more this weekend, hopefully giving us a better chance to catch hogs passing by and give the turkeys places to strut (April 6th is opener of turkey season).  I will keep everyone updated on the mowing progress.

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Inaugural Bush-hogging!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 02:59:11 PM »
Pretty country. I see it doe's make mudd! Did it take much to get unstuck? @--0--0116
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »
Looks good so far , ya that's a area you will have to know what to do .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 04:11:55 PM »
Good looking place.  Glaf you're doing the work and not me!  Lol
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »
nice looking place. i've been buried many times. i have to get creative as i don't have any neighbors. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger @--0--0105

how big are the fields? is it worth renting it?

'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 07:48:12 PM »
Very nice looking area, I'm sure it's going to take a few seasons to get a feel for the patterns on the critters & how best to set it up for both deer & birds.  Do you have any standing water on the place?  If not that little bog where you buried the 4440 might be a good place to consider building a little waterhole.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 05:49:35 AM »
Buckone - Nope, hooked a chain to the front axle of tractor and other end to bucket of backhoe and pulled me right out.  Took less than 30 seconds.  I can see myself purchasing a backhoe in the near future!

Yari - Hopefully I can get to know some farmers around here that will want to hay it just to keep me from mowing it.  I(f we have a drought here this summer, they will be knocking my doors down for the hay.

Madgomer - Yes, we have five ponds/water holes on the property and a nice little year round creek flowing through the middle lined with mature hardwoods.  This place is full of natural springs also.  I too have thought about making that a little water hole.....or maybe a small lake (wink)  @--0--0137.

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 06:39:27 AM »
King Ben,
Being in the coastal plains of eastern NC.  I know about sandy soil, we have a LOT of it.  Even got my tractor stuck in sand also.
Yes you can grow food plots.  Cannot grow a lot of fancy type ones. Get your soil tested after picking an area to play with.  I have found that Whitetail Institute Imperial Extreme does good in poor sandy soil.  Abruzzi Grain Rye (Winter Rye) does good also, it will bulk up some (Green Manure), turnips can help with that also.   Deer and Turkeys love it.

http://www.chinquapingardens.org/pdfs/WinterRye.pdf

Good Luck.
PJ
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:57:37 AM by Puddle Jumper »
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »
King Ben,
Being in the coastal plains of eastern NC.  I know about sandy soil, we have a LOT of it.  Even got my tractor stuck in sand also.
Yes you can grow food plots.  Cannot grow a lot of fancy type ones. Get your soil tested after picking an area to play with.  I have found that Whitetail Institute Imperial Extreme does good in poor sandy soil.  Abruzzi Grain Rye (Winter Rye) does good also, it will bulk up some (Green Manure), turnips can help with that also.   Deer and Turkeys love it.

http://www.chinquapingardens.org/pdfs/WinterRye.pdf

Good Luck.

i hear buckwheat also does a great job bringing nutrients to the top
PJ
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 11:22:51 AM »
That would have been a good field to burn, those turkeys love fresh burned ground when the new sprouts start to come up.  I just got done yesterday burning off about 80 acres of native grasses in some CRP fields on my farms.  bring on turkey season now!
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »
Have managed to get various tractors hung up over the years, but generally had something else on hand to yank them out with.  When I got my old D6 buried in the muck though while clearing brush around my old pond, depression set in.  This one was a bit of an ordeal to free.  Having a backhoe around would be pretty handy Ben - strongly recommend it (come to think of it, I don't have one either . . . . )   @--0--0105

and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »
mad- that's a little buried --099-780 that had to be fun
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
All depends on your definition of "fun" I suppose    @--0--0105 @--0--0105
It gave me ample opportunity to exercise my vocabulary for sure
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 04:59:10 PM »
All depends on your definition of "fun" I suppose    @--0--0105 @--0--0105
It gave me ample opportunity to exercise my vocabulary for sure

i know the feeling. my cabin is in the middle of the national forest,so i 'speak freely'. if things are going well, i even break into song. @--0--0133 if not, even the trees cover their ears.  @--0--0105 glad i don't have neighbors or i'd be in the loonie bin. the saying goes, 'what happens north of hwy 8, stays north of hwy 8'. i think everyone is happy about that --099-780
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline King Ben

• 10 Point
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 05:38:18 PM »
Thanks for the info PJ.  Looks like you hit it on the head for what I will be doing.

I would love to burn the fields, but honestly I'm just too scared of it getting away from me. 

New Page 3

Google Ad