New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: SD deer hunting  (Read 410 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
SD deer hunting
« on: March 14, 2018, 04:29:13 PM »
i figured this would happen after my buddy shot the 184" in SD last year. the owner increased the price 30%. considering we have a lodge to ourselves, it's still not a bad price.

does anyone have any knowledge on SD land leases? any idea what SD leases go for? i got some calls and emails out in SD, but i figured someone here might have some input. anyone done any research out there?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: SD deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 07:31:52 PM »
   No I don't know but I really like hunting in SD and I am interested in getting more info to.  I have only bow hunted in SD and would really like the chance to rifle hunt it.

Offline yari

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 07:21:26 PM »
notsams- this is tough. i tried a lease website and they said i needed to be a member before they give any info. no thx.
      - i did reconnect w/ an old TH member and he gave me a couple names. one was in the indian land. that was a long shot to draw and       expensive
       - ND seem to be tough because of the oil industry. lodging is all spoken for

i have one more shot. i'm a member of QDMA and they have a lease group. i will try the contact them this week. i will keep you posted. this could be a case of knowing the right people or bust
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 08:41:20 AM »
I have no knowlegde of SD leases but good luck in your search.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »
i looked at the sight QDMA referenced and they had nothing in SD of size

other than boots on the ground, i think i'm out of ideas. from what i've seen, we are still getting a reasonable deal

if anyone hears anything in SD, i would appreciate it. thx
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 07:01:29 PM »
Yari - was talking to a pal at work about hunting leases earlier in the week, he's seeing prices going up too.  His theory is that with the economy improving & unemployment dropping, more people are out there competing for the available leases, driving prices up through basic supply & demand stuff.  Nobody wants to see a deep economic downturn, but I suppose a healthy economy does have an impact on discretionary spending for stuff like hunting leases.

The company I work for is paying out their annual incentive bonuses this month, based on how each business unit does vs. their plan in the previous year.  Plans vary by region, business, and pay grade, but in total they're handing out over $1B across about 100,000 employees.  That can perk up the local economies pretty nicely, as it doesn't happen to that extent very often so it tends to get treated like "fun money" for the recipients.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 12:37:24 PM »
mad- i supposed you get about 1/2 of that bonus. no wonder you can retire @--0--0105

it's crazy what folks will pay for deer. leases are a tough business. the owner will push until someone says no. until then the sky is the limit
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 08:27:09 PM »
mad- i supposed you get about 1/2 of that bonus. no wonder you can retire @--0--0105

it's crazy what folks will pay for deer. leases are a tough business. the owner will push until someone says no. until then the sky is the limit
Ha!  Maybe just a little less than half of it Yari!  But based on the way the pension calculations work for us old timers, it does actually give me a nice little boost so I won't complain much. 

Was just talking with a co-worker today who lost his lease that he'd only had for a year - he's going to spend a three day weekend scouting out 2-3 other potential places he's identified here in-state (deer & turkey) but even if he can land one of them he'll be laying out more cash than he previously has.  Seems to be universal.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad