New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Berger 243 87 grain bullet data  (Read 246 times)

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
Berger 243 87 grain bullet data
« on: March 06, 2018, 10:01:58 PM »
Just bought Berger 87 grain bullet VLD Hunting in 243  and H4350 powder. Anyone have reloading data for this? Or, know where I can find it. I have a Remington 700 26" varmint barrel with 1:9.25 twist.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:38:40 AM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Berger 243 87 grain bullet data
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
Gobihawk - I would look at a heavier bullet if you plan on shooting past 300 yards especially with the twist you have in the barrel? I once read an article buy a pro-shooter who specialized in the 243 and he said that had a breakdown for bullet weights base on the distance which you are going to shoot, he had the 87 gn the the 95 gn and the 107 gn listed. if you have your remington 700 with it 26" long barrel, you might and you are going to shoot past 300 yards you might want to go with the 107 gn bullet.......

I have a similar old Remington 700 rifle with a 24" barrel with 10" twist and shoot the 100 to 107 gn Berger, Sierra and the Barnes pills.....you might want to try 42.0 to 44.0 Gns of H4831 or IMR4831....I have 4 - 243's and shoot the 105 to 107 gn pill is all of them, even though 2 of the 4 like the 75 gn Sierra BT over the 105 gn bullet....but have settle in on the 43.52 gn of H4831 using CCI-BR2 primers and loading it .015" off the lans and at least two of them are tack drivers, the other two 243 shoot the same bullet a 1/2" MOA at 100 yards....you are on the right track, but let the targets at the range tell you what the rifle actually likes......somethings it takes me years to figure a rifle out but when I do, it like magic......

You might want to think about the 9.25" twist and the 87 gn pill....run the numbers and see what you come up with.....

Thank Sundowner for the links......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 11 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. If the 87 grain doesn't work out. I will try heavy ones.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »
Gobihawk     Great i'm interested in hearing how it works out for you. I have never tried the Bergers but plan on trying some soon. Keep us informed and good luck.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:32:16 AM »
Notsams - I love Berger, Barnes, Nosler and Sierra and Hornady and have Swift, Speer and all the rest of them...but I do love the Bergers and on my two Safari Trips took Barnes TSX and TTSX with me.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
Notsams - I love Berger, Barnes, Nosler and Sierra and Hornady and have Swift, Speer and all the rest of them...but I do love the Bergers and on my two Safari Trips took Barnes TSX and TTSX with me.....
Went to the range yesterday. Attached is the best result. Also, tried 41.0 and 42.0. Hands down 41.5 was best. Got these results in only 18 shots. Now the fine tuning begins.

These are the first Berger bullets I have tried. Think I'm going to like them. Berger's Website has a lot of great info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 06:25:46 PM »
   Wow that's awesome  nice shooting.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »
I don't know, putting all those shots through one hole seems kinda boring doesn't it?    --099-780

Nice shooting chief - looks like you're not too far off the optimum!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:48 PM »
Gobi - Good shooting!! Wow, what was the humidity and elevation. Notice that you put down the wind and temperature......again good shooting....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 08:56:19 AM »
Thanks for the kind words but the gun deserves the credit. These were the first groups since I installed the Timney trigger.

Bo, elevation is 728 feet. Didn't check the humidity.

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
I think you will like the Bergers LOL!! Nice shootin'
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »
Gobi - What is your Timney set at?? I have many Timney, Shilen and Jewel Triggers installed and all of the worked great!!! Yes your groups will get tighter with a good trigger!!!

When I go to the range, which will be tomorrow, will set up a weather station with me. Knowing my elevation that never changes, unless the tectonics plates push the elevation higher. And the northwest wind is just about always blowing across from left to right at a 45 degree to my left shoulder, sometimes we will get a truly west winds that are will blow directly into my back, just depends on the time of the year because of the earth's axis and where it is during the yearly trip around the sun....but always have a Kestral Wind Gauge with me as well as a small hand held Humidity/Temperature gauge that I normally take to the range with me.

As far as the credit goes towards the gun, you are right, a good rifle with a custom barrel on it that has been trued up will always shoot better than a factory barrel, well amost. have a factory Savage made barrel for Remington that shoots like a custom rifle!!! holy cow, it shoots good!!

Had Doug Shilen on a flight from Dallas to Atlanta tell me that in person. He was sitting next to me. He was on his way to Ft Benning to work out details on some new sniper rifles contract that they had won...

Always save your targets and number them....they will be your key to the future. You can never forget ahead of you don't know what works and what doesn't in your rifles.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 08:32:52 AM »
I have trigger set at 2 3/4#. The trigger is the only modification made to the Remington 700. Have a 62450 Konus scope on it. Used leveling system to mount scope. I keep my targets and a note book noting if load is good or bad.

Awesome flight. That's the great thing about life. You never know when a moment like that is going to happen.

New Page 3

Google Ad