New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 6.5x284 Lapua  (Read 815 times)

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: 6.5x284 Lapua
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 08:14:54 PM »
very good deal.

are you going west this year?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 08:24:13 PM »
Yari  yep i'm going back to Montana for Muledeer again this year. I'm not sure about taking the 6.5x284  with this year because I like my 7mm mag when I plan on walking a lot. My 7mm mag only weighs 8.5 pounds total including ammo and shoots great out to 800 yards.    I did shoot the 6.5 this weekend and tested 2 bullets in water jugs and chipboard to see how they will work on deer sized game. The 150 gr Sierra match bullet only penetrated 3 jugs and the 2 pcs I found weighed 51.5 grs. The 143 gr ELDX stopped in the 4th jug and the 2 pcs weighed 65 grs. The ELDX would be my bullet of choice now but I plan on trying the Nosler Accubond Longrange bullet too. I like the rifle and it shoots good to. My better half shot a 2.75 inch 3 shot group at 444 yards. I did get bullets on target at 1450 yards but then the wind became hard to read and I missed the target 2 times at 1500 so I decided to wait till a better day.

Online yari

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »
it's always to have options and choices on guns. good luck
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 07:09:38 PM »
   Midway USA has the Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 CDS with 30mm tube and side focus for $499.99.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 08:17:40 PM »
Notsams - That is a good deal on the Leupold but with you talking about shooting out to 600 yards with it, then I think you will need a more powerful scope....even though it has CDS (that after getting your load down for the rifle, and it could take you up to a year to find that right load for the rifle) I would think that you might need a more powerful scope than a 4.5-14X x 40mm ?? Am I over thinking this or ??

I would think that this max distance you would have (depending on your age and if you name is not Dutch) to be somewhere in the range of 300 to 400 yards for the max distance you could shoot game out to in a ethically manner.....

Many years ago I too had to look at all my scope and the rifles that they were mounted on and do some serious scope swapping. I was not thinking clearly back then....so everybody should look at their rifles and look carefully at the scope on their rifles and asked themselves if that is the right scope for the purpose of that rifle....As I have said here before....I own 20 308's, yes 20 of the suckers and the barrel lengths range from 16.5" all the way to long 26". Each of them has a different scope on it the shorter barrels (16.5 to 18") have 1.5-6X or 2-7X scopes on them the medium length (20 to 24) barrels have 3-9X or 2.5-10X, the longer barrels (24 to 26") has the 3-15X or the 4-12X or 4-14X.....on my ultra long range rifles (calibers, only I know that!) have put the 5-25X or 4.5-30X on them.....

Other than you scope choice, you shooting in almost in the Dutch Class, notice I said almost...that is some mighty fine shooting there Notsams.....   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »
Nope Bo I'm not even close to being in the same level as Dutch. I just really like guns and hunting. I have caught the long range fever and have learned some things along the way, but in all honesty the thing I think I have learned the most is to not take any chances when shooting at big game. I will try long range shots on big game but only when the conditions are right.   Last fall in Montana I had a buck at 722 yards but the wind was hard to read so I passed the shot. 3 hours later I had snuck up to 350 yards and made the shot.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 08:41:02 PM »
    Bo as far as the scope goes, I don't like big bulky, heavy scopes. I also plan on a couple more Elk hunts and my rifles spend lots of time in a plastic scabbard bouncing on a atv so size and weight is important.    I also don't like scopes with adjustable objective for hunting but for long range shooting it is important to have one. I always try to have a purpose for my guns. If its a woods gun it is probably going to have a 2.5-8 or a 3-9 on it. My coyote rifle for 500 yards and under is a 243 with a 4.5x14 scope on it but it is set on 6x all the time. It makes it easier to find running coyotes in the scope when set on 6x. if I had to choose 1 scope to have on every gun I own it would be the leupold vx3 4.5-14x40 with the 1 inch tube. I can easily shoot before or after legal shooting time because the glass and coating are good. The scope is not overly long or heavy and is reasonably priced. The scope also has the best warranty you can get and is made in the USA.  I did order a 4.5-14 for the 6.5x284 because in the end it will be a hunting gun.   This is my opinion and I think guns and scopes are personal preference. I always appreciate your opinions Bo and thanks for the interest in my posts.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 07:10:19 AM »
Notsams - You sound a lot like me.... --099-780...when it comes to your rifles and scopes....same philosophy....I too look at Warranty from a scope manufacturer! and having owned 40+ Leupold's (Still own 39 of them - I have recently completed a review of the inventory and come up with a couple of extra Leupold's that were not included, eeks! Maybe the others have just as good a warranty and thank goodness have not needed to see if they were as good as promised....

We can thank Leupold for making a great product and forcing other manufacturers to improve their products....Zeiss can be thanked as well for producing their cheap Conquest line...cannot believed back in the early 2000 that Zeiss put out a scope for $400 with German Quality....got a bunch of them as well.....

Glad to see your thinking about your scope selection, way back when, I bought what was on sale...LOL...and then try to match up the scope to the rifle.

You are like me, the heavier scopes like the ones either, say over 20 ounces, I start looking at other scopes, trying to stay under 20 ozs for scopes and binoculars....

400 yards is my limit on shots, will not try to attempted on pass that distance, I will sneak up about another 100 yards or so and take the shot....maybe 500 yards like I did in South Africa with no luck! But it has to be out West and the Elk or Deer has to be standing still...took a number of running shots back in my youth and never connected with any of them, so learn a valuable ammo lesson, so I saved my ammo...

There is no doubt that you put a lot of thought in your rifle scope set up just like I do, of course, I will often think about the scope on the rifle and think what is the purpose of this rifle, then will over think this and start swapping scopes...just me and my tinkering....Thanks for the thoughtful response....     

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
I decided to try the 143 gr ELD bullets from hornady on whitetails this fall and was disappointed in the results. On opening morning I couldn't hunt my best spot because of the wind direction so I took the 6.5x284 to a spot where if a Doe came by I could get it out with only a little disturbance to the area. I shot the Doe right behind the shoulder at about 80 yards. The doe spun and ran into the woods and a few seconds later I heard a load crash. No blood trail at all. The Doe traveled about 70 yards before going down. The bullet did not make contact with the far side rib cage, it did not go that far. The lungs were gone but no exit hole means very little blood on the ground. I want an exit hole so I wont use these bullets for deer anymore.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 06:45:15 PM »
Notsams - thanks for the info.  Were you able to recover the bullet?  If so, was it still intact or had it grenaded itself inside the doe?  Seems hard to believe that at the distance you shot with that much mass & velocity that even a bullet with a 2X expansion ratio wouldn't have blown through her and left an easy trail to follow.  It must have really fragmented badly?  I have no experience with that bullet myself.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online yari

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »
i had the same problem w/ my daughters .243. the bullet was in the hide on the other side. everyone else i spoke with had pass-throughs w/ 243. i wish i could remember the bullet
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 12:20:01 PM »
I decided to try the 143 gr ELD bullets from hornady on whitetails this fall and was disappointed in the results. On opening morning I couldn't hunt my best spot because of the wind direction so I took the 6.5x284 to a spot where if a Doe came by I could get it out with only a little disturbance to the area. I shot the Doe right behind the shoulder at about 80 yards. The doe spun and ran into the woods and a few seconds later I heard a load crash. No blood trail at all. The Doe traveled about 70 yards before going down. The bullet did not make contact with the far side rib cage, it did not go that far. The lungs were gone but no exit hole means very little blood on the ground. I want an exit hole so I wont use these bullets for deer anymore.

Is that ELD a ELD-M or a ELD-X , sounds like a ELD-M but it should of done the job .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
   Nope there was no bullet to find. The bullet is the 143 gr ELD-X. The long range hunting bullet. I'm going to try the Nosler Accubond next. I tried the ELD bullet in water jugs and plywood test and it did fine but it failed in the Doe.

New Page 3

Google Ad