New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 6.5x284 Lapua  (Read 814 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
6.5x284 Lapua
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »
     I just put up the money to get the 6.5x284 rifle build started. I'm going with a stainless Montana CRF action. Krieger stainless #5 contour barrel that's 26 inches long with a screw on muzzle break. The gunsmith is going to make the break. The stock is a Bell and Carlson synthetic with pillars. This rifle is being built around the 140 to 150 grain bullets so I'm going with a 1 in 7.5 twist. Sierra came out with a 150 gr Match king bullet with a 713 BC. I have some 143 gr Hornadys on hand to try also. I have 100 Lapua brass and a set of Redding dies on hand too. Hopefully I won't have to wait to long for the barrel.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: 6.5x284 Lapua
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »
Notsams....that is great....what about the trigger?? Know a guy where I use to work at and he had a custom 6.5X284 Built and he just love it, for sure it is a tack driver....only seen him at the range with it a few times.....what is going to be a weight...what about optics, what did you have in mind??

Are you going to use it for hunting or just paper punching? By the bullets you have listed, looks like it is going to be a paper puncher....sure would make a deadly hunting rifle...
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »
   Bo  yea I do have a few things to figure but here is the plans for now that are subject to change. I will adjust down the trigger to 2.5 lbs and see how it responds but the trigger is smooth to the touch which I don't like.  I will try it before spending money on a replacement. Maybe I can put a shoe on it.  As for the weight. The #5 barrel is about 4 lbs alone. I hope the finished gun with scope is under 10 lbs. I have a Leupold rail and rings already but as for a scope, I have not made a decision. I will try this rifle out to 1 mile, so for that I will put on a 8.5-25x50 that I have on another rifle now. In the end it will be a hunting gun for Antelope and deer and maybe for the occasional Coyote. I do have a 6-18x40 CDS that might see some time on the rifle but in the end it will probably be a 4.5-14x40 CDS. When it becomes a hunting gun I will try other bullets like the 143 gr Hornady ELD or the Berger VLD hunting.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »
Notsams - JMO - if you plan on shooting out to mile, a 2 lb trigger maybe to much...generally the long range shooters at our club (1000 yards) use Jewel triggers and they are in the ounce range...

Barrel-when you said that you are going to use a #5 barrel, I was thinking to myself, hunting yea, maybe pairie dogs. That rifle will weight about 10 lbs for sure....and with the scope, it will weigh over 10 closer to 12 lbs....I do like the #4 that satisfies my accuracy and flexibility and most important the maneuverable in hunting situtations..... 

So I am reading that you are going to have 2 scopes for this rifle one you shoot a mile to and another one for hunting.....humm...sounds like you are going to use a Picatinny rail and some Leupold Mark 4 rings?? I would figure that the 6-18 with the CDS would be all that you would need, for any range....I have several 4.5-14x and they will do these old eyes justice...cannot not see past 600 yards without a spotting scope these days, in my youth, no problem spotting game out to over 1000 yards....

Shooting and hunting long ranges you will need a very good binos with ranging capabilities or a good range finder and a good spotting scope, probably a Zeiss, or Swarovski....When I would go out west and on Safari, I would pack all of the necessities needed for a day hunt....

I like the Montana CRF action and the Krieger barrel...I would think the McMillian is a good stock, also the B&C stock are OK, but many years ago, I had to replace my B&C stocks with McMillian stocks and never looked backed....of course I got the cheapy B&C stock, probably the reason why I had to replace them....

Cannot wait for pictures and targets from the newbie.....will be asking you a ton of questions about your build.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 07:36:25 PM »
BO    thanks for the interest. The 8.5-25x50 scope will be just for accuracy testing and for long range shooting. After I know what the rifle and I are capable of, then I will put on a scope more appropriate for hunting. As far as the trigger is concerned, I will wait and see how the factory trigger works out. If I can get it down to 2.5 lbs with out creep or travel then I will probably use the factory trigger.     The stock is definitely not my favorite but I have it on hand from another project so I figured I would use it. The only thing I am buying for this project is the barrel and muzzle break. The action and floorplate and the stock are being reused from a previous project.       On a side note Bo.   I am researching the 22-250 Ackley Improved with a fast twist barrel. 1 in 6 twist for a 95 gr bullet with a 600 BC and about 3000 fps.  Hart rifle barrels are a 3-4 month wait. I have allways wanted a rifle with a Hart barrel. If I order the barrel now I would have 3 months to gather the 700 Rem action and the stock and detachable magazine.     It's going to be a fun summer.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 05:15:06 AM »
Not - I just feel like a 2.5 lb trigger is good to about 400 to 500, maybe 600 yards, anything farther will require you to a 1.5 to 2 lbs with .1 second lock time......for a long barrel, have you thought about a gain-twist? Starts out slower than say around 6.5 to 7 twist and then finishes off at 7.5 twist? especially if you are shooting lighter bullets. I normally shoot, with my hunting rifles about a 5" group at 600 yards. The wind, the mirage, the bullet drift are all harder to read at that range and I am not going to shoot at any game at more than 400 yards...that is a long ways out there....

The scope is interesting, have the same power and objective diameter on my 338 LM....am shooting the 285 gn bullet out of it and it is a tack driver at 200 yards...cannot believe something that large is that accurate....have a Nightforce 4.5-14x56MM on the 270 Custom McWhorter...that is a very nice scope, great glass. Have looked at many reticules from Nightforce, this one has a simple IHR reticule...see attached photo....that is really good for my type of hunting....It will be good to have two scopes for the same rifle...never thought of it that way.....interesting....

Be sure for the build to have your gunsmith tune you action and barrel from the same lathe! Having your action trued at one place and your barrel trued at another only spells a misalignment on the smallest scale, but still it is misalignment.....if you are going to use this stock or any stock be sure to put a glass bedding kit in yourself...it is easy, just be sure to put plenty of release agent on the barrel or else!!

The 22-250 AI is a good choice, the bullet is awful heavy for that caliber, but the twist is right.....yea, most custom barrels do take that long...sorry but at least you should have it built and to the range by late summer!! Thanks for the good comments.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »
  The 6.5x284 is almost done. The gunsmith ordered a Ken Farrel base but it doesn't fit the top of the receiver properly. The Montana Rifle company changed the outside demensions of the action and 1 pc picitiny bases are hard to find. The gunsmith will get it to work.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 09:16:53 PM »
   I picked up the 6.5x284 a couple days ago. It turned out really nice. I adjusted the trigger down to 2.25 lbs and gave it a good cleaning. I loaded up some 150 gr sierra matchkings (713 BC) with Retumbo powder and fired 9 shots and cleaned it 3 times. The Krieger barrel really cleans up nice. I soaked a patch with bore cleaner and made 2 passes, then a bore brush makes 3-4 passes and 3 dry patches and the barrel is clean. The gunsmith had to machine the base to fit and it must be about a 50 MOA because with my scope adjusted all the way down it is still 6 inches high at 100 yards. When I put a hunting scope on it I will order in a set of 2 pc bases. Or I could put a shim under the front of the base. I had to shoot out of the back of the pickup to see over the grass but my 8th and 9th shots landed 8 inches apart at 800 yards. (my 2nd shot wiggled about 5 inches to the right as the trigger broke).   The rifle weighs exactly 9 lbs before the scope but it doesn't feel that heavy and balances really well. I am going to test these bullets in water jugs to see if they are good enough to shoot deer but have some 143 gr ELDXs on hand and I want to try the Nosler 142 gr Accubond Long range bullets to . The high BC and the fact that it is 150 grains makes me think it might be good enough to shoot whitetails and muledeer. Especially at longer ranges.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 07:23:10 AM »
Not - Was just wondering about your first load was a 150 gn Sierra using Retumbo powder?? The barrel is wonderful on your new build....I won several rifles with Krieger barrels on them, great choice....if they are like anything mine, they will clean up under 10 patches...Shilen, Krieger, Hart, Bartlein and Wilson (Cooper rifles have Wilson Barrels) and that is one advantage about good quality barrels, they clean up easy....

Good Point about the balance of the rifle. Can tell you right now, that if your rifle is not balanced right, most folks will not take it to the woods with them...JMO...

Is this going to be a bench rifle or a hunting rifle?? I have a 6.5 CM (Savage 110 BA Stealth) and it likes the 140 and 142 gn pills over the lighter bullets....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 01:05:58 PM »
Sounds like a nice rig Notsams should be tack driver once get like you want it.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »
congrats. what are you going to put on for a scope?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 06:09:43 PM »
Yari   I think I will end up with a 4.5-14x40 leupold VX3i. It has a 30mm tube, side focus and the custom dial system. It will slide into a

scabbard with ease and not bulky or heavy. $585 on optics planet.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 06:47:31 PM »
  Bo  in the end this is a hunting gun. I am trying the 150 gr Sierras because of the .713 BC. I am curious about the penetration these bullets will have and wondering how they would work on whitetails and mule deer. The COAL of this round is 3.172 or 3 3/16 inches and it's still not touching the rifling. I test bullets in water jugs with plywood or chipboard placed in between the jugs to tear up the bullets. I compare all guns to my 30 06 with 165 gr rem core locks.        This is my first 26 caliber rifle and it is a little heavy to carry in the mountains but it doesn't feel as heavy as it is. I have a light weight 7mm mag for carrying in the mountains but for muledeer and short walks  the 6.5 will see some use. When I get older it will be a antelope gun.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 07:33:19 AM »
Notsams - OK, I can see where you are coming from now....when I first starting reloading back in the early 70's, there wasn't much of a choice in bullets. Ordered all my reloading equipment through what was then Gander Mountain Catalog, there was no Cabela's at the time, but a few years later, Cabela's did buy out Gander Mountain Catalog division and starting putting their name on the catalog. At first, did not understand what was happening to my beloved Gander Mountain Catalog and I did not know (along with a lot of other folks) even how to pronounce "Cabela's", never heard of them and did not ordered any products from their catalog. Then I called the 800 number and talked to the folks there and they assured what had happened....

Anyway, there was no data on BC or Ogive or COAL no data (I was just starting out for a few years early and did not know anything at all about reloading or bullets) but over time come to learn that a Deer, Elk or Antelope don't care about any of that data at all, what you should do is to figure out what it likes to shoot, the velocity it likes to shoot and the type of bullet it likes to shoot....I am a big Sierra myself and when I first stared out that is all that I used and they (like all the manufacturers) have changed their bullet compounds without making a big deal of it. This is why feedback is so important to them, it is the hunters in the field that gives you your best info and data.

That's all I am trying to say is talk to your rifle, do an silent interview with it and its targets....tying to find out that magic load will take some time and a lot of experimentation.....When I get old, the 6.5 CM will be my go to Antelope rifle also..... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 07:57:14 PM »
   I've been doing projects at the hunting camp and not shooting my rifles but hopefully that will change this weekend. I found out that Midway has a leupold sale starting in a couple days and the 4.5-14x40 CDS with 30mm tube is $499. That's a good deal on a great scope. I hope to test the 150 gr Sierras to see how they hold up to plywood and water jugs. The 6.5 has allways been known as a deep penetrating bullet so I have high hopes. If it will get to the 4th gallon jug before stopping then it will work on deer sized game.

New Page 3

Google Ad