New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Still carrying headbone  (Read 419 times)

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Still carrying headbone
« on: March 02, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
Yesterday morning on the way to work, just a few miles from the office in an area where the deer often cross the road, I had two deer on my left about 100' into the cornfield.  I didn't think much about them as it is a very common occurrence there, but then I noticed one looked like he still had antlers on - not huge, but antlers nonetheless.  This morning on the drive in, two deer in that very same spot trotting towards the road - as I went by them at about 20', sure enough it was that little buck again, a forkhorn, carrying both antlers yet.  Don't see that very often around here in March. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Still carrying headbone
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
april is as late as i've seen antlers.

i've also had bucks lose antlers in november. he was huge. i would have like to see his headgear. he was only 10 yards away @--0--0100 @--0--0100
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 10:15:21 PM »
I found a pair of matched 8-point sheds on New Year's day a few years ago (very fresh, laying on top of some recent freezing rain we had) but don't believe I've ever seen a fresh shed or a buck without them (unless they were just busted off one side) earlier than that.  November is really early - must have been injured??
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 07:11:23 AM »
They have all dropped here in Oklahoma, however, a buddy from South Carolina just sent me a picture of 5 bucks together and all still have both sides of their racks!

Offline treefarmer

• 6 Point
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 09:04:42 AM »
Just a few thoughts from the Sunshine State concerning shed antlers:
We still had antlers on some last week and I've noticed a couple of spikes that lost one side then one showed up minus his spikes, just the pedicles showing in the picture.
Unless a person is actually in the woods daily, like a cow hunter on a horse, sheds are hard to find in Florida.  No snow to make a place to look on specific trails and such.  The thickness of the vegetation makes a find a real prize.  Usually the rats and squirrels work on them.
Years ago I found a matching pair of cow horn spikes laying at the base of a small rub tree.  I figured he came back to hit it one more time and both came off.
We have a piece of an antler that my father-in-law retrieved from a cow's mouth.  The piece was some how lodged in her jaw and was causing her to act strange enough to merit a second look.  Luckily for the woods cow it was discovered during a "marking and branding" session or it would have probably slowly killed her.
I heard about "antler traps" years ago and built one but by shedding time the deer are not interested in reaching into a tight spot and picking up corn as everything green has their attention.
Treefarmer

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 11:54:52 AM »
I found a pair of matched 8-point sheds on New Year's day a few years ago (very fresh, laying on top of some recent freezing rain we had) but don't believe I've ever seen a fresh shed or a buck without them (unless they were just busted off one side) earlier than that.  November is really early - must have been injured??

nope. he came through grunting and following a doe. no limp, no wounds. to this day, i still think it was natures way to protect this monster. it was opening weekend in WI. like i said, he was big as a heifer. the pedicles  were still raw
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »
STILL SEEING BUCKS WITH SPIKEY LOOKING HORNS AS OF LAST WEEK. IN MIDDLE GA. 
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER   QDMA DEER STEWARD 1

Offline treefarmer

• 6 Point
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:16:07 PM »
We still have antlers on at least two in the Florida Panhandle.
Treefarmer

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 08:53:41 AM »
i haven't seen a deer for awhile. my guess is most of the antlers are buried under the 9" of snow we got this week. more snow coming tomorrow. i'm tired of it for sure
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad