New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 11-87 super mag saddle mount vs picatinny rail  (Read 1081 times)

Offline mgray03

• Button Buck
11-87 super mag saddle mount vs picatinny rail
« on: February 27, 2018, 06:31:02 PM »
Does anyone have experience with these two scope mounting base systems for the 11-87 super mag and if so do you have a preference?

Thanks
Mike Gray

HUNT LONG...HUNT WISE

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: 11-87 super mag saddle mount vs picatinny rail
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:48:59 PM »
Mike - are you planning to use the scope for deer or turkey or ?? (or all of the above?)  Haven't mounted one on my 11-87 but have messed around with different options on 870s (same basic barrel & receiver setup).  For deer slugs, particularly at long range (100 yds+) the cantilevered mounts coming off the barrel are the most consistent option I've found.  Have used the receiver mounts where you push out a couple of the cross pins & attach the single side plate using those same holes (less stable than the saddle mounts) - I think it would be fine for shotshell ranges, but for deer slugs you really need to crank down on the barrel nut to keep everything in place from shot to shot - a little barrel wiggle vs the receiver will cause you a lot of grief on longer range accuracy.  Since you said super mag I assume you're banging away with heavier loads, so even more important to keep that barrel tight if your scope is tied to the receiver.  Have seen a guy with a red dot attached to his vent rib - seems good to have the optic tied to the barrel if possible, but I never shot it & don't  have a good feel for how successful he really was with it.  If you want to use the optic for some hunting but also be able to shoot the gun without optics, I'd probably go with the saddle mount over the pic rail.  With either one though, you need to keep that barrel pretty tight to the receiver for consistency.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:06:49 PM »
I used a saddle mount some time ago on an 870.   For me it used to cut into my hand on recoil.  No one else I've talked to had that issue but it hurt my hand pretty bad and I have not tried one since.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 10:19:40 PM »
I have been using a saddle mount on my 870 for years. I do keep the retaining nut fairly tight, although I have not noticed much wiggle when it is just finger tight.  My barrel has a 2-3/4" chamber. With my setup, I have killed deer out to 70 yds. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 07:48:29 AM »
I agree with Madgomer. I have used saddle mount for many years on my 11-87 SuperMag for turkey hunting without any issues, just don't over tighten the screws as the action will not work proper if you do. For that reason I would not use them for slugs. 

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 09:45:03 AM »
I use the side mount single plate mounts...you can remove the scope mount when not needed...I have several Remington's shotguns with these on them...I like them much much better than saddle mounts...when I have remounted the scope plates using the 2 step screws it comes with, the scopes have been well within a click of being right on the money...to make sure the side plate stays put I placed a piece of double sided tape under the plate...has not loosened up in more than 20 years....

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »
I agree with Madgomer. I have used saddle mount for many years on my 11-87 SuperMag for turkey hunting without any issues, just don't over tighten the screws as the action will not work proper if you do. For that reason I would not use them for slugs.
Yeah, Ligpd & MI-B's comments have both reminded me of my own experience with the side plate mounts - I tightened them up too much because the nuts were working loose, and then created some binding in the action.  When I "fixed" that by double-nutting the pins, I remember scraping up my right hand a bit due to the recoil of the 3" rifled slugs I was shooting at the time.  Sold that 870 to a co-worker who is still killing deer with it twenty or more years later (although he sticks with iron sights & never used the scope mount that I gave him with the gun).  Likewise, I shoot iron sights on my 11-87 for deer, although it's only a backup gun when the weather is too ugly to go out with my muzzleloader, and these days if it's that bad I typically stay in too.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline mgray03

• Button Buck
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:16:12 PM »
 Thanks for everyone's responses! Sorry, I should have mentioned initially that I will be using this shotgun for turkey hunting only.  At present I am using 3 1/2"  Long Beard shells.
Mike Gray

HUNT LONG...HUNT WISE

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
Another option since it will be a Turkey only gun is buying a cantilever rail that attachs to your vent rib and extends over the receiver. I will have to look up the company that sells them and let you know. You can also get the reciever drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Buds and Optic plant have rib mounts. Good luck shootin them 3 1/2's  they kill on one end cripple on the other ;D Longbeards are excellent shells you kill whatever you are shooting at with them.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:11:51 AM by BLUETOE »
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 03:00:27 PM »
When I originally scoped my 870 for deer, the scope came with a side mount, which I found it could flex.  I did not like that so I started looking for an alternative.  B-Square makes one, but I thought it was too expensive.  I found another brand, Aimtech, that was much more reasonably priced, and it has not given me any problems in 20 yrs.  On my turkey gun, (another 870) I just use the original bead, as it sometimes does double duty as my goose gun.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 05:49:30 PM »
mgray - On my Mossberg 835 have saddle mount, wasn't hard to installed. Installed if many years ago....had to removed a few pins and replace the one that came with the B-Square Saddle mount...them mounted a Tasco 4X scope on it. Went ahead and camo taped the scope....still works good today....must admit that have not shot it in a few years...Replace the Mossbery 835 with Benelli's

On both the Benelli Super Black Eagle (SBE) II and the Super Nova they have a Picatinny rail on them. Both have the Nikon 4X Turkey scope that is already camo along the stock, Only thing I had to do was to paint the Picatinny Rails flat Army green and let it dry then mounted it just like I would any other scope.....the SBE has a 26" barrel where as the Super Nova has a 24" barrel on it...both had the same camo pattern and the only way I can tell them apart is the barrel lengths...LOL....

Sorry - but I use the 3" high brass Winchester shells, cannot handle the 3.5" shells......LOL....

I would think that the 11-87 would be drilled and tapped for any scope mount that you want.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 11:16:05 AM »
I took the saddle mount off my 870 after a few years. I went with Picís thereafter
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline MKMGOBL

• Spike
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
I'm with MI_Bowhunter....I tried it for one season because my reciever wasn't tapped and didn't like it. Combination of weight, feel and height it added to my gun. I now have a weaver style for my Burris Fastfire III and it's much better. If my gun wasn't tapped for it, I personally spend the money to get it tapped before going to the B-square. 

Offline mgray03

• Button Buck
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »
Thanks for everyone's input.  Very much appreciated.
Mike Gray

HUNT LONG...HUNT WISE

New Page 3

Google Ad