New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: long shot on Coyote  (Read 820 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
long shot on Coyote
« on: February 25, 2018, 07:47:31 PM »
   Saturday morning I went for a ride around the block. The Coyote crossed the road and after getting a little closer I used my 7mm Rem to try a shot. The rock pile was 671 yards and the Coyote was a little further away so I set the scope to 700 yards and held about 18 inches into a quartering wind. At the shot he dropped and kicked a little then lay still. A local guy watched me shoot and drove up to me and said if he hadn't seen it he wouldn't of believed of it. He then asked me a bunch of questions about my rifle and said he was hunting coyotes too but would not of even thought about trying a shot. A couple hours later I drove the snowmobile over to get the Coyote and ranged the shot at 735 yards.    Later in the afternoon I called a coyote in and missed it 5 times with my old .243. I was laying in the snow and shot before I should of. I BLEW IT

TalkHunting Community

long shot on Coyote
« on: February 25, 2018, 07:47:31 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: long shot on Coyote
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 08:29:21 PM »
the hunting gods giveth and they taketh away. i've been there @--0--0105

nice shot
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:01:28 PM »
Notsams - Great story...it was the yote time to take a dirt nap...great shot with your 7mm Rem Mag. Only Dutch would attempted a shot like that. How could you see hime? was he moving in the snow?....what grain bullet did you use in the 7mm RM? Ouch, 5 times? well after the first shot, the yote put it into another gear getting away....how far was yote #2 away from you....you might want to think about a dope sheet and tape if to the inside of your buttstock for both rifles....

My "Mel Gibson shot" was on a antelope at 318 yards and again at 340 yards in high crosswinds winds 20+ mph. Thank goodness I have read somewhere many years before I went on that trip to tape a elevation (drop) and wind (drift) chart onto my Sauer 200, 25-06 buttstock....that is the only way I would have gotten that antelope....had the Leupold VX3 3.5-10X scope on 9X power, only way I could see him....and to beat all, the first and second shots were only 1 inch apart and they were a little far back (hit in the mid section of the antelope.....   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 07:43:14 AM »
Wow, what a shot!  Well done sir!!!  --09--0

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 12:30:11 PM »
Great shot!!!!! dead coyote good deal!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Frito Bandito
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »
That's some good shooting, congrats!!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 06:44:36 PM »
BO   yote #2 was at about 200 to 250 yards. He was sneaking in trying to get downwind of me. I didn't have a rest so I layed down in the snow and it was very awkward to say the least. The Yote was in a crp field that has grown up to brush. I was hiding by a 3 wire fence and when I first saw him I knew I should crawl under the fence so I could use the post to steady the rifle but I didn't.   My .243 is sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards and that puts it about 5 inches low at 400 yards, but I don't know where it hits at 250 yards so I need to shoot it at 250 yards to find out.            The Coyote I shot with the 7mm Rem mag was in the wide open field of snow. He thought he was safe but my rifle shoots very good out 800+ yards. The only bullet I shoot out of this rifle is the 160 grain Accubonds. It's a great bullet and I have a custom turret for that bullet.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad