New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Aguila 1 3/4" Mini Shotgun shells  (Read 461 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Aguila 1 3/4" Mini Shotgun shells
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 03:59:12 PM »
Very interesting Bo , I do have a Winchester 1300 in the gun safe , I may give them a try this summer , thanks for the info .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:40:49 PM »
Sundowner - I know that I will be ordering some very soon....probably by the weekend.....

But I am a big Judge type pistol for home protection. Nothing like a 410 shotgun at 20 feet...please....OMG...but for years and years I have been after and written letters to Remington, Winchester and Hornady about making a 2" shell for the 410 instead of using a regular 410 shell in.....

First saw something about a Kel-Tec KSG shotgun Holding a 1.5" long shell in their pump shotgun....I thought to myself...Wow....maybe I need to writ Aguila a letter......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 07:46:15 PM »
Looks like a pretty good idea for defensive use.  I wonder how well they feed in a normal pump or autoloader that is designed for 2 & 3/4 or 3" shells - please let us know if any of you have tried them out.  Could fit quite a few in a standard tube once you pull the plug out.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »
i still have my .44 by my bed. hard to beat at close range and not as big.

i could see this w/ a sawed off shotgun, not so much a full size. i bet they will be popular
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 09:29:33 PM »
You know that the 1300 is only chambered in 2 3/4 " shells that could be why it works so well with that short shell , ya got them on my  wish list at Midway have to see who else has them .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »
Yari - I am assuming that you are talking about a 44 Mag underneath you bed? If so, Recoil is your enemy...remember everything that is going to happen is going to happen within 15 to 20 ft of your position. What happens if you miss? How long does it take you to get back on target? The below is not directed at you, but to anybody who is thinking about home defense and what weapon to chose. Lord knows we don't have to use any weapon for that purpose but if we do, we got to think about many factors now before it happens....JMO below...

My whole home defense evolves around have the right weapon, ammo and time to get back on target. Do you have the confidence in her ability to handle such a weapon if she every needs to defend herself? That question should be asked before buying a weapon for the family for the defense of the family?

The right weapon is one that you and your wife can both handle. Too often the family firearm is purchased by the male, for the male when in fact, there is a good chance of your wife using it than you do. A firearm should be sized for the smallest hand (generally female) in the family. Sure, a male would be able to handle  What happens if you are in the bathroom and the arm intruder breaks in? What happens when you have already left for work and your wife is getting ready and is 30 minutes behind you? A 44 Mag, 240 gn bullet is a great round. I once help drag a mule deer that a guy nailed with a 44 mag at 75 yards. Dropped him in his tracks! At 15 to 20 ft, in the middle of the night, you need a scatter gun or something like it. Revolvers are a long forgotten means of self-defense. Boy are they reliable. Been around for at last 150 years. I still have them as my primary source of self defense. I like to use in them a CCI shot shell in a short to med length barrel. You don't have to aim it, just point and pull the trigger. 

The right ammo....is one that has enough energy, velocity and shot size to take a perpetrator down. Ammo that doesn't have so much recoil that you cannot get back on target with a 1 to 2 seconds! With any large magnum pistol, the recoil along will take the firearm out of her hands and if she holds on to the firearm it will take her 5 to 7 seconds (maybe) to recovery from the muzzle blast and recoil of that weapon. In recent years, ammo designers have really put some thought into ammo...the bullet has evolved so much, a 9mm is not simply a 115 FMJ bullet. The bullet takes on a variety of shapes and sizes as long as they feed into the camber. The link I provided is only one factor in a triangle of home protection I recommend. Take time in doing your research, nobody knows you home like you do. Walk through it, know your weakest and your most vulnerable points of entry. Take the weapon along with your wife to the range 3 to 4 times a year and both of you practice, practice and practice some more. Practice with different ammo on various target at different ranges.

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 02:29:48 PM »
bo- good points. one difference i have is the CCI shot shells. i wasn't vaguely impressed w/ their performance. at 10-15 feet, you might get a few BB's in him. i'd take a short barrel shotgun anytime

i just don't like having a shotgun sitting out in my bedroom. my pistol is in my night stand. just a preference thing
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
Yari - I agree. I have the CCI-Shot Shell in most of my revolver. The two judges I have loaded with 2.5" shells and the 410 Mossberg 500 Pump Shotgun ready to rock and roll.....My shotgun stands ready in the bedroom less than 3 ft away from me, plus the judge, which I take out every night out that is in the night stand by the bed...

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 07:50:25 AM »
Midway listed the three kinds of 1 3/4" shotgun shells from Aguila but they are out of stock and no back order....humm...what to think? I'm sure somebody on Gunbroker carries them....

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=aguila+shotgun&Sort=13&PageSize=24&View=2

Yep they are available....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:52:22 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 07:05:59 AM »
Yari - just happen to be watching the Sportsman channel late yesterday afternoon and they had a segment about the 44 magnum and they shot some CCI shot shell in it. The test was to shoot a water filled milk jug at 5 ft, 10 ft, 15 ft, 20 ft and finally 25 ft....the 5 ft distance it was over, most of the #12 shot went into the milk jug! OMG....then at 10 ft the milk jug was filled with holes and the jug drained quickly, then at 15 and 20 ft, same deal, you are a dead man walking but at 25 ft was interesting...they did not describe what happen, but only a few shot went in at that range....

Can't wait to see what a Judge with a 410 will do!! Thought I would share this with you.....two revolvers for home protection have shot shell in them....the other (not saying how many) have 410 in them.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 07:30:07 PM »
Aguila is the only manufacturer that makes these short rounds so far....was in my local Rural King on Yesterday (Tuesday) and the had the slugs and the #5 shot both in 20 round boxes and a shade under $20 each....so if you are interested in these short shells like I am, stop by your local Rural King and see it your store carries them.....bought a box of the #4 shot.....cannot wait to test this at the range...... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 08:45:30 PM »
I will have to give these a try just right for home defense. Bo you are right I have a .410 with #6 2.5 in shell in it. It is just a single shot squirrel gun but at 15 feet she will do the job. Been looking for a nice used .410 pump but have not found one in my price range but it is on the list to get.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad