New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Need help  (Read 341 times)

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Need help
« on: February 21, 2018, 07:10:46 PM »
Since I will be moving to the Florida Gulf Coast, hunting may not be in my future but fishing may have to be.

I never fished with great abandon , mostly small, small ponds. Lake trout was about it other than sunnies.

Fishing for salt water is totally new to me.

Not sure if the bass/trout rod/reels I have will work for whatever lurks off piers and such in the Gulf. I dont and never have owned a boat so I will be limited to pier and close-in shore fishing.

I have 2 years to learn this and the stuff I may need so feel free to share comments/advice.

I hope I will like fishing.

I sure will miss hunting.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »
i believe you will need salt water gear. i'm not an expert at all. only fished the ocean a couple times
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:46:44 PM »
Ok. I suppose I cant use grenades. Lets see what the experts say
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 10:02:31 AM »
Ok. I suppose I cant use grenades. Lets see what the experts say
Grenades are a definite NO NO even in salt water  --099-780

Salt water fishing is fun and can be very addictive, and expensive. Very high maintenance on any and all equipment involved, from rods, reels, lures. I haven't done any salt water fishing in many years since I move back to PA from NC. I have stayed in the fresh water since.

There are plenty of lakes in FL and bass fishing seems to top the list for fresh water. Okachobee (spelling?) is one of the largest I believe and the Bass Masters and Major League Fishing and others all use it as a tour stop each year.

Good Luck
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
Flint - Don't count out hunting just yet.  You could join a club or hunt public land.  Florida has a ton of hogs and gators to hunt, so they could be other options.  Who knows you may get a picture of the famed skunk ape (Florida sasquatch).  Gutshot was correct, lots of bass fishing down there year round.  I think/hope you will be surprised with the opportunities FL has to offer. 

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 01:15:32 PM »
where on gulf coast?  I know in the rivers you can use regular rods and reels but ocean pier I have used regular, just be aware that some heavier fish can get on.  I like going out on party boats and they provide rod and reel..its fun and I have gone out on the other side of Tampa with Hubbard Marina I think thats the name.  The place I use to go closer than that went out of business.  when you go out on the party boats you can get bigger fish .   DPD
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 12:30:45 AM »
Ok, Iíll give you a quick run down. If you are moving to the panhandle area during the winter thereís good diver duck hunting in the bays and pretty good wood duck hunting in the lakes, deer and turkey hunting isnít bad but isnít great either. Thereís lots of public land and thereís also the military bases like Tyndall AFB that allow hunting, just check up on regulations and permits. Also a lot of ppl from Fl get in hunting clubs in South Al and Ga. so thatís also an option.
  Fishing, if you can afford it Iíd buy a boat. The piers and jetties get crowded but thereís always the surf which will be fair at best. Just donít overlook inshore fishing for trout and redfish. If you get in to that your bass rods will be just fine and you donít have to have much of a boat. Iíve been all over the bays around Panama City in a canoe back in my teens and have no problems running my bass boat around the bay. If you start fishing the piers a lot youíll want a couple heavier spinning rods and reels for kingfish, a medium weight setup for Spanish and Blues, and a light set up for catching bait during the summer and pampano during  the spring. Go ahead and spend the money to buy quality tackle.  Back when I was peir fishing a lot and this was 20+ years ago, on my cart there was a kingfish pole - the reel was a penn 706Z on a custom g-loomis pole, one that was set up for Spanish Penn 4500 SS on a Walmart spinning rod and a bait rod.
  Just as a side note, Iím not sure if your age, but if you are around retirement age the morning kingfishing is as much a social event for the retirees as it is anything, theyíll show up about 4:00 am start catching bait, drinking coffee, and shooting the bull then start fishing about daylight until 7:30 - 8:00  then theyíll go home. One other thing, donít forget about maintence on your equipment, after every day fishing rinse your reels off good with fresh water. That salt will eat a reel up quickly.

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 01:10:35 AM »
Oh and one more thing, when it comes to buying rods and reels donít buy the cheap crap bc thatís what it is crap. Reels, Iíd get either Penn, Shimano, Fin Nor or if you want to showboat Vanstall. You need a good drag system. Rods, donít buy the hideous 12-13 foot cheap poles at the Walmart for like $30-40 each. A good 7-8 foot rod will work perfectly. Iíd say go to a local tackle store, the Star rods are good quality at an affordable price, so are the penn rods. Keep one other thing in mind stiffer isnít always better. Live baiting kingfish off the peir I always liked a fast action tip so I could feel my bait swimming around. Ling ( Cobia) fishing more of a medium action.

New Page 3

Google Ad