New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Latest Cabela's Optic Catalog  (Read 440 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Latest Cabela's Optic Catalog
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:22:03 AM »
I got in the latest Cablea's Optic Catalog and what a shocker!!! The prices of Optics is through the roof!!! Holy Cow...I still look for dollar value in scopes today...Some of these upper lines are very good quality but in my wildest dreams, could not figure that scopes would be this high...some exceed $2K!!! and some exceed $2.5K You are going to have to take out a second mortgage just to buy them...I got very nervous when paying a grand for my Leupold VX6's, Nightforce SHV and the Swarovski's AV scopes that I have....I tell my wife that after I'm going do not have a garage sale for my stuff, I have some expensive toys that need have a nice home....

I do own a bunch of what I thought as a expensive scopes at the time I bought them and same goes for binoculars and spotting scope. Looking back over time, I should not have spent the money I did for the Swarovski or Zeiss or Lieca quality optics...but I did...I know when you look through them you can see details you could not see with $300 binoculars of spotting scope.....

Last year I purchased a bunch binoculars for under $200 a pair, that was my goal is to find the best value of binoculars for the money out there and pass this info along to our TH family...clear winners were the Ziess and the Leupolds both $400 pair of binoculars that I got for under $200....

But for today's younger folks here on TH, the up and comers, take a long look at your optics. Also look to Amazon and Walmart and others for returns and blemished optically products....

My Cabela's CC has a zero balance on it and will keep it at zero.....   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Latest Cabela's Optic Catalog
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
Not much different than the archery industry, with the cost of arrows at nearly $20 dollars each, broadheads are $15+ each and bows costing more than guns. The outdoor, hunting and shooting sports is becoming only for the elite and rich, forget about the cost of ammunition. I remember when I could buy a brick of .22lr ammo for slightly under $5 and now it's that much or more for a box of 50 rounds. In a lot of cases it's almost less expensive to buy ammo than to reload. As I'm slowly working my way back into trap shooting again, seeing the cost of shotgun trap loads, I'm now considering a press and reloading these also but considering the cost of a press and all, I'm still scratching my head and crunching numbers. Even at the club where I shoot the cost per round went from $3 per to $7 (cost of clays) way up. We purchase them in bulk (trailer loads) at a time. End of Rant  ##$%#15 ##$%#15
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »
yes I have seen the price of ammo go up never seems to go down

##$%#1119   @--0--0117
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »
Gut and Dave - You guys are right!!! Prices sure had gone up.....maybe for the Lawyers they have hired.......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 04:33:49 PM »
we got the song and dance that the ammo cost increase was because of an ammo shortage. the supply is now plentiful and manufacturers are laying off workers. there is no reason the prices aren't coming down

as for optics, i agree bo. i do really like my leicas though
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:23 PM »
Seems like ammo dropped for a while but has leveled off in last 6 months or so.  Guns, similar story.  Haven't been paying attention to optics much, but did notice that crossbow prices seemed to go nuts last year, never saw so many in that $1000+ range before.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »
mad- WI made x-bows legal during bow season as did other states. i think the demand is high = high price
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 08:03:29 PM »
Yeah Yari, I'm sure that plays into it.  IL made them legal for the full season last fall too, previously could only use them for the last 5 weeks unless you had a disability waiver.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »
For perspective on prices we must take inflation into consideratiin
I use this:

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=5&year=1980

A $5 arrow in 1980 is over $16 today.

Plus when you are young and wages and other considerations vs changes in your life ( cars, home cost, cost to support kids etc) recalling the “good old days” can affect our outlook.

Over time we usually acquire things and forget what it was like when we hunted with less “stuff”

For the younger TH readers based upon my experience [onlu] (which I should have followed much sooner than I do now) once you have the basic stuff so you can enjoy hunting my advice is: hold onto what you have and SAVE $$$ for getting the best you can.

I.E. the story I related on binos some time back. Had I stuck with my original bino and saved the money on all the bino variations I undetook, I liklely could have jumed to my Swarvoski SLC 10x42 a lot sooner. I think it takes longet for the lower end binos to catch up, if they ever can, to the better optics brands.

So, patience and save.

If that does not work, come over to my house as I have lots of hunting sruff that will not make it to Florida when I move!

Less hunting ahead for me I reckon
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline RatherBeLucky

• Fawn
  • " Do Your Sportin' At The Wharton!"
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »
Not much different than the archery industry, with the cost of arrows at nearly $20 dollars each, broadheads are $15+ each and bows costing more than guns. The outdoor, hunting and shooting sports is becoming only for the elite and rich, forget about the cost of ammunition. I remember when I could buy a brick of .22lr ammo for slightly under $5 and now it's that much or more for a box of 50 rounds. In a lot of cases it's almost less expensive to buy ammo than to reload. As I'm slowly working my way back into trap shooting again, seeing the cost of shotgun trap loads, I'm now considering a press and reloading these also but considering the cost of a press and all, I'm still scratching my head and crunching numbers. Even at the club where I shoot the cost per round went from $3 per to $7 (cost of clays) way up. We purchase them in bulk (trailer loads) at a time. End of Rant  ##$%#15 ##$%#15
You are showing your age! LOL

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

New Page 3

Google Ad