New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: president's day  (Read 431 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
president's day
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »
a buddy and i had planned on fishing today, but freezing rain and snow cancelled plans. i was bouncing off the walls so cleaned and lubed fishing reels. that took the morning.

still bouncing off the walls, i decided to empty the safe and clean my guns and pistols. i like to get a new layer of oil every year. it's so bad. i have only shot 4 of those guns in 2017. considering i went goose hunting and used 2 guns, that's rough. i hope i get some grandkids some day to give these guns to

funny thing. i have a ruger M77 .270 i got for a bday in HS. i brought it to my shoulder and it's still 3-4" too long. my dad never sized any guns. i can't believe i could even see through the scope. i had a tough time seeing today.  @--0--0105 at this point, i'll leave it until i figure out who's getting it. i don't hunt w/ it anymore

i read an article that said 65% of guns are the wrong size. i guess i'm part of the 65% @--0--0117
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: president's day
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 05:49:11 PM »
Been rainy and foggy here all day.  We went into town and you could actually see the fog rolling across the road.  I was getting a little stir crazy, but I didn't clean any reels or guns.  Wasn't that desperate.  What I really need to do is to locate my refrigerant detector. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:28:23 PM »
Yeah Yari, I know what you mean, don't shoot nearly enough these days and the kids never bug me to shoot like I used to do to my Dad, wondering like you if I'll get a grandkid to spoil & hand this stuff off to.  Have some without any real sentimental value that I should simply sell I suppose.

And yeah, the fit is always a question.  I'm rarely running into the "too long" problem, but have a few shorties in the safe that could use a buttpad extension.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:59:24 AM »
Yari and Mad - You guys are so right you talk about the right fit...There are a couple of things to do....Stock and Scope I will explain both...About 20 years ago I was looking at looking for a rifle for my better half when I stumbled upon a Steyr Rifle. A short heavy barrel in 308...but what I noticed is that it had two "spacers" for adjusting the LOP (Length of Pull) for a shooter....the thought behind this is two fold..one you could buy it for your child and as they grew you added the spacers to adjust the LOP.....or you bought it for your better half and you could add or take out spacers as you need them....I always remembered those stock spacers. Over the years you began to see many types of spacer for the butt stock started appearing...so I jumped on the bad wagon and started getting some spacers as shown on the attached photo. Today I own three Steyr's with the spacers built into the stock....One is that short 20" heavy barrel in 308, a 7mm-08 and a 280 Rem.....

Another way to correct the fit is to find scope with long eye relief...something in the 3 to 4 inch range...not a pistol scope but a scope made for a rifle that has a long eye relief....Those are the two ways you can correct the fit as far as distance goes. But also cheek pieces to adjust the height of your eye ball so it will be in line with the center of the scope...that is why you have always heard to get the lowest rings possible...I still believe that today....of course the scope Objective diameter will determine whether you get high or extra high rings...I know the only rifle I have an over 44mm diameter is a Nightforce that has a 56mm Objective!! that is huge, and had to get extra high rings to go on the custom McWhorter. Also had to get the Cheek Piece to get my eyeball high enough! LOL....

This is my thoughts on how you correct those problems....you got to think about fitting up your rifle not only to your shoulder and the LOP, but also the height of your scope and your eyeball to the scope before you buy it as well...rather have a 30mm tube than a 50mm Ojective as far as light gathering and field of view goes...JMO.....Bo 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:02:21 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 05:35:25 PM »
my dad has a steyr w/ a twisted barrel. it's a pretty gun that i've killed a few deer with. you don't see many around

my gun needs about 2" cut off and the butt plate re-sized. it doesn't come up like i would like it. i need to find a good gunsmith. i could do it on my own, but i'm stumped at how to resize the butt plate. i think it's a pachmayr and the rubber is very soft. i don't think i can mill it down

i've been reading everything i can on 1" vs 30mm. from what i read, the objective size determines the brightness, not the tube size. the tube size is important for LR shooting adjustments. i know you can't believe everything you read, but the was the consensus i found   
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »
If you haven't checked it out yet. Check out Savages AccuFit Stock. My next Savage will have an AccuFit Stock.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 06:25:16 PM »
Yeah Bo, that's why I like the PRS stock (from Magpul) that I put on my first AR build, I can crank the LOP out and raise the cheekpiece to get the right eyeball alignment.  The collapsible stocks just don't work for me due to LOP (obviously my use is very different than what they're designed for on that platform).  My bro in law and I do a lot of gun stuff together but we're the total opposite build - makes for lots of fun conversations when one of us grabs the long gun of the other for a little evaluation.  My son's wingspan & hands are even longer than mine, so his struggles are greater.   Looking at getting a new stock for the 10/22 that will accommodate our dimensions a little better for some backyard shooting.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 09:51:31 PM »
If you haven't checked it out yet. Check out Savages AccuFit Stock. My next Savage will have an AccuFit Stock.

are they only for savage or will they fit browning. i like the concept
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:54:35 PM »
I have a Accustock Savage 308....Interesting Stock....think I must have the first generation of the stock...My is in a 260 Savage...it is the only one I got in that stock configuration...

Not sure about the Browning's, but other manufacturers do have those type stocks....and you are seeing more and more of them hit the market, same goes for the buttstock spacers...i have notice a lot of manufactures are being to offer built in cheek adjustments pieces, Ugly but functional!!...I do not remember seeing a wooden stock finish off this way from the factory....

Be sure to check our Stocky's and Boyd's Stocks for those who are looking to replace their stocks....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad