New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: leo scope  (Read 898 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
leo scope
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »
i took my leo scope off my .300 to get ready for my new scope this summer. i've had issues sighting it in for years. once o got it off, i figured out why. if i  move it from side to side, there is a thud. i'm guessing the guts of the scope worked loose. it's never been dropped, so i don't know how or when it happened. my buddy had it for a summer before our AK moose hunt. he was the first to have issues. he's a bull in a china shop, so nothing would surprise me

i'll send it to leo. i don't know if they will fix it or just send a new scope. either way, that scope will go on my daughter's .243. the .243 came w/ a bushnell i was never impressed with, but was a good starter gun/scope
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: leo scope
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 02:53:51 PM »
Good plan.  I can't imagine it's a good thing if you can tell something is moving internally.  I'm sure Leupold will make it right one way or the other.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »
What model Leoplod is it? Variable power?
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
Yari - As Mad says "Good Plan". If they cannot fix it, they will send you a new scope to replace it....but and there is always a but (like me), do you have a back up scope? I have scope pile with 10 scopes laying around that are not mounted....I have a couple of Vortex Crossfire II 2-7X x 33mm, a Trijicon 3-9X x 40mm with the yellow fiber, a Leupold VX2 in 3-9X x40mm a Burris, a Nikon, and a few others, even a older Tasco is in the pile.....all of them are ready to mount....

When I went on both Safaris, not only did I take a back up rifle, but also a back up scope. I was hunting with one Zeiss and one Leupold on my rifles, I took and extra Zeiss Conquest and the hardware to mount it, just in case.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:21:11 AM »
flint- this is a 20-30 year old scope. i've had issues w/ it since my AK hunt in 2000. it's a 3x9x40(?). this is a pre- vx 2, 3, 4... i believe

bo- this leo will replace a bushnell and the bushnell will probably sit in the safe.  i don't have an arsenal like you. i did double my rifle hunting time w/ the SD trip. i'm up to 2 weeks of rifle hunting now. i do enjoy it and enjoy reaching out, but i'm still a bowhunter at heart

my biggest regret is not taking it off earlier. since my shooting in WI is close, i really never had a need for precision long range shooting. the scope was fine for my 30-50 yards WI shooting   
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
i lied. it's a VX II. i never knew that. i took off the lens cover and there it was
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 03:58:29 PM »
Guys - the VX2 first came out in 1963. I got my first one in 1972. It had the variable adjustable Windage and Elevation knobs..no 1/4" clicks yet. I did send the first scope back several years after I first got it, because I tighten it down to tight, I am sure well beyond the 25 inch pounds. Within a month got it back fully repair and a friendly note telling me about the 25 inch pounds max.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 04:36:15 PM »
Just an assumption but after they look at it they mail replace it with a current equivelant

Keep us posted on what Leopold does!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 04:39:37 PM »
bo- this one is a 1/2" moa. i think i paid $250, which was a big deal for me at 25-30 years old. i thought i had something pretty special
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 07:11:20 PM »
Yari - You do have something special....where were you in your life when you bought it?? I know that every Leupold scope is something Special. I can look at it and tell you where I was and what I was doing when I bought it and what rifle I bought it for....

We all have a special place. I bought my first Leupold from the store (Candler Army-Navy Store, on Candler Road, in Atlanta, GA) where I bought my first real deer rifle, a Winchester Model 70A in 270 Win.....mounted it with Leupold One Piece base with Leupold rings, all steel, Aluminum Base and Rings hadn't been thought of yet.....

Then around the mid 90's, I notice a misprint in the Cabela's catalog on Leupold Scopes, they have Leupold VX2, 4-12X W/AO (at the Bell end of the scope) for $289 instead of $389...a $100 misprint....I call them up and told them about it...after I had ordered 5 of them....I needed 5 scopes to match all my 5 Remington Sendero's (remember when they first came out, they were the mat finish and the barrels were made by Savage). I have to look at the caliber on the side of the rifle so I know which one I am shooting, because they all look alike...all have been cryoed and Shilen Triggers in them...I put a glass bedding kit in each of their stocks...The 270 Win is the best shooter of the bunch....it is a consist one ragged hole at 200 yards...none of them shoot bad all under an 1 inch at 100 yards...

When I got my Shilen DGA single shot in 308, had to get a Leupold Scope for it a rare LPS model, a 2.5-10X x 45mm, yes I said a 45mm objective with a 30mm tube...such a nice scope....and all my 4 Leupold VX6's are on the Coopers!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
bo- my dad won a stainless browning A-bolt .300 win mag at a raffle that i bought from him for $1000. (he overcharge the heck for it, but i figure i owed him for all the stuff i put him through.  @--0--0105) i was still single and a few years in as a broker. i finally had some extra $$$. i bought it at one of dutch's haunts, gregerson hardware. i think i had built my house, so around 20 years ago

thinking back, i think my bull in a china shop buddy over tightened the rings. i remember him telling me he reefed on them because he thought they were coming loose. it never shot the same again. i can't wait to get a new scope to see if it was the scope all the time causing wider groups. i'm betting it was
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 07:31:17 AM »
Yari - You sound like me, My Dad, God rest his sole, found a lot of 22's Rifles and Shotguns, but not Center fires at garage sales that he and mom would go to every weekend. He would call me either when I lived in Norcross or here in East Tennessee and I would give him about 25% more for the firearm than he paid for it....I once bought a pistol from him that I did not know anything about, it was a RG, a "Real Gun", with a chrome frame, blued barrel, blued cylinder, blued hammer and trigger. When I first saw it Dad told me that he had $55 in it horse swapping around. It had 357 Magnum on the side of the barrel. Holy Cow! I told him that I was interested in it and gave him $85 for it....I just did not want him shooting it!! Something this ugly should not shoot at all...I was scared for him! So I bought it, put it away in a box that I found for it and forgot about it....until about 10 years ago, I was looking through my pistols and found this one and brushed it off, recounting the memories behind it...after some investigating a few years ago, it turned out to be a Rohm pistol! I have seen them before and the cheap price is what I notice and how ugly they are. At the time I bought it from Dad, never had heard of them at that time...LOL...Took it to the range and shot 38 S&W first in it, then I fired 38 Special's in it....You got to remember, before I shot it, I put on some thick gloves, jacket, full face shield!! I was thinking this is going to hurt....but it shot great...amazing well, I was worried that the cylinder would not line up with the barrel and would "spit" lead at me from where the bullet entered the barrel at...but it did not!! Thanks Dad for all the memories....

Yea, same here, one instants of over tightening cause me to buy a very small torque wrench (still have it today) that I tighten all things with it for many years until I got a torque wrench from Starlite and now use the old Fat Wrench....

Remember everything you got is special and every time you drive you truck, be care, they are the most precious cargo you will every haul around...and the memories you make with your family today will always be with them......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 08:13:19 AM »
good story. talk about a snub nose pistol. wow
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »
my scope was delivered USPS 3/22 and i never got a confirmation from leo. i emailed w/ details last week to customer service. the person emailed back asking for a tracking number. i sent it back. this isn't looking good. i never had a company NOT send a confirmation of receipt. it will be a month next week

i know others have sent products back to leo. did you get a confirmation? i would think this would be their slow season

i'll keep you posted on progress
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 08:06:03 AM »
Yari - I have sent a few scopes back to Leupold and have not gotten an call or email from them but did get my repaired or new scope back to me within 2 to 3 weeks...but I would stay on top of it and tell the Leupold Customer Service Rep that they will your focus point for their product...this always helps me when I tell the person on the other end that they are my point of contact with the company....

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst!!

Keep us in the loop....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad