New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Advice on 9mm ammo  (Read 485 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Advice on 9mm ammo
« on: February 16, 2018, 04:42:22 PM »
Your opinion on reliable, affordable 9mm handgun ammo for a Canik Tp SA. Also, I have just started shooting this pistol and learning how to shoot it. I have been using the 115 grain Federal Champion 9mm bullet.  What difference is there between the 115 gr and a higher grain?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:25:08 PM by Bearclaw »
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Advice on 9mm ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:54:15 PM »
I have been shooting the 9mm for a relatively short time, but I think the 115 gr is mostly used for target practice.  The heavier bullets are mostly used for self defense.  I have 147 gr hp's in my carry piece.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:48:09 AM »
Louie - I have been shooting 9mm every since the mid 80's....got my first 9mm in a Browning Hi-Power Stainless Steel model, with the gold trigger and the Pachmayer rubber grips, adjustable sights, hold 15 or 16. Bought it right after I purchased a Browning BDA 380 (like it so much that I have two of them now)...but the 9 mill is my standard caliber of choice. Have a Marlin Camp 9 and just got a 9mm Hi-Point Carbine as well....I have many other 9mm that I often take to the range with me...Just this year have purchased a SCCY CPX-1 (Orange - for UT of course, but rather get have a Red one for Ga Bulldogs...LOL)

Back in the 80's there was no self defense type ammo and the only two rounds you could get was a 90 gn and a 115 gn both in FMJ rounds!! and yes it was cheap to shoot back then...Had my carry permit in GA for 25 years before moving to TN and got one up here and carry the 9mm M&P Shield in the truck with me with the 124 GN Hornady rounds in the magazine. Never put one in the chamber. The SCCY with it 147 gn Self defense will be my walking pistol that I will wear when I am walking. NO my neighbor hood is a very safe place, but I am getting older and a target for some young punks, so I want to defend myself against one or two of these strays....

The ammo you need to choose is the ammo for the situation that you are in....and shot the ammo in it that you are going to need at the time. In the past 10 or so years, there have been a lot of different ammo designs and bullet weights manufactured. In my wildest dreams I would never have thought of a 147 gn expandable ammo on the market back in the 80's....but today it totally different. So you are going to be careful and shoot what is the most accurate and what is the best bullet for the situation you are or will be in...that my friend is a fine line...

Midway has some 65 gn 9mm Ammo and you can get all the way up to 147 gn. Who would have thought....If you get a 115 gn for Plinking and then stick with a 115 gn specialty ammo for self/home defense, you will need to shoot both at the range to make sure. I have a Canik 9mm that I got last year and took it to the range, tried a few rounds first, then a few more and next thing was a full clip. I tried this with a 115 FMJ round. Next I went up to 124 gn soft point and it shot great. Very good groups at 25 yards. I stopped there...Now I have a to sort out all the 9mm ammo and make sure it is with the right pistol. Sure this is a lot of trouble but to me it is worth it....just in case, don't want to, but just in case....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
Bo, How do you like the Canik?
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:10:26 AM »
Bear - Had heard of them long before I swapped for some things for it....I was pleasantly surprised by it...it reminds me, like many I have, a full size 9mm, will hold around 17 in the magazine and I only put 15 in any of my full size 9's...Went ahead and order a soft case for it and plenty of extra magazines along with a Blackhawk Serpa holster for it. I have shot it around 100 times and like I mention in a previous post started out with a 115 FMJ round and went up from there...I did try some 134 gn 9mm rounds in it but they did not shoot good groups so I dropped back down to the 124 gn rounds...so far so good, it has not jammed a single round, so I am a happy camper as far as that goes...

The only down side is that it is a full size 9mm, built great and if you have a big hand, it would fit great in it. Currently there is plenty of accessories on the market for it today, but it is not a Glock, Ruger or Sig...but it is a real good value for the money....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 10:30:20 AM »
My Goals for all my 9mm Pistols are to get a Midway soft tactical case for it plus 7 extra magazines for each pistol. The midway case runs any from $10 to $20 see link

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939160870/midwayusa-tactical-pistol-case

and they are built really well. Have done this to about 5 of the pistols so far. Also, I am putting the ammo it likes in the back pockets as well..I know the S&W Shield 9mm case, I can get both pistols and Class II (Blackhawk) holsters plus the 7 extra magazines plus 100 rounds of 9mm ammo they like (134 gn Hornady Critical Defense). So this case is really good for this purpose!!! 

Need to get a few more magazines for the SCCY and it will complete that set up....I still have a few more 9mm to set up, not saying exactly the number on hand and...LOL...nothing like the rifles....

Oh forgot to mention, the Kel-Tec PMR-30, the 22 WMR, has been set up this way as well....have all the extra magazines, the holster and the 200 rounds of ammo all fit into one of these soft cases.....

Anyone else have one or two of these?
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
BC, I've never fired or even held a Canik so can't get you much useful input.  The many forums on the web may give you some insight on any specific loads it doesn't like from a feeding/ejection perspective, which is always my first concern on a semiauto pistol, and from there regardless of the web feedback you'll need to experiment to see what yours likes from an accuracy standpoint & simultaneously what load meets your performance needs as Bo stated. 

My only 9mm currently is a Ruger P89 I bought back in about 1990 or so, the stainless model.  I have yet to find a load that it won't eat, but I do find I get better accuracy generally with the +P stuff than with cheap ball ammo.  I have used Hornady 124gr XTPs in reloads with a reasonably hot powder charge behind it - should be more than adequate if I need to pull that out for a home defense situation although my 1911 is first in line for that.  I also installed a lighter slide & hammer spring kit which has been a good improvement, would like to do a trigger upgrade, as the trigger in the P89 is pretty sad. Once I get around to getting my CC permit in IL, I'm pretty much set on picking up a Shield for a carry gun as everything else I currently have is pretty bulky. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 07:00:17 PM »
Mad - Have one of those too....same model (KP89, K standing for the Stainless Steel) but purchase it sometimes around 1995(+/-) I shoot the 115 gn in mine and it shoot decent. Need to dust it off and try some of the newer ammo. I got plenty of 9mm ammo in various bullet weights. Also need to order me another tactical soft case from Midway and a few extra magazines for it....

I agree with you about the trigger, it is pretty hard and long to pull...that is the only down side to the pistol.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad