New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Looking for some wisdom on moly coated bullets  (Read 657 times)

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Looking for some wisdom on moly coated bullets
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:26:46 AM »
Are there significant advantages to moly coated bullets?  Do any of you reload with them?  If so, do you buy them pre coated?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
Re: Looking for some wisdom on moly coated bullets
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:42:31 PM »
Most barrel makers will tell you flat out to avoid it like the plague.

Over the years I've tried some moly in a variety of factory rifles.  What I've noticed is that some factory barrels seem to get the most benefit from the use of moly coated bullets. What I have noticed is that some of those factory barrels displayed a marked improvement in consistency with the use of moly and a couple of those displayed a marked increase in accuracy. I haven't noticed much in the way of velocity differences when using moly.

Iíve never felt the need to use or even try moly bullets in a barrel that I hand lapped. This also holds true for custom barrels because of the lapping.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »
Mad - I agree with Dutch...do not buy any...I know they had big media blitz telling the everyone they are the best thing since sliced bread...well this fish got hooked and I bought a bunch of them....well still have a bunch of them....loaded some up and tested them, had build up in fouling in the barrel and notice a big difference in velocity.....I was so mad that I had been had, that I never loaded them again. Like I said still have many boxes on the shelf!!!

Because of the Moly episode, it is hard for me to believe in the Hornady ELD bullets....have not bought any and don't plan on doing so...but they have been around longer than the Moly fiasco has been....may change my tune but for now will use the tried and true Berger, Barnes, Sierra, Nosler bullets.....I do have plenty of more from all the manufacturers and have a ton of the old Hornady

Here is a 2014 pictures of my Barnes and Burger bullets inventory, since then have gotten a bunch more it.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 08:22:00 AM »
looks like you have some work to do bo
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 11:07:45 AM »
I agree with Yari - Bo, you really gotta get out & do more shooting in order to do a better job of keeping your inventory fresh!
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 05:52:13 AM »
I know what you mean, I still have several boxes of Barnes molly coated bullets but never shoot them...the picture only shows Barnes and Berger bullets. You guys should see the other bullets that I have to load...I have so many that it is sagging the 1" x 12" x 18" long shelf they are sitting on! Need to switch out to stainless steel shelves....

With the warmer, but rainy days ahead, will head out to the range probably within a couple of weeks, before the end of February......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »
have only shot moly coated through (s)crap barrels...did improve some not so much others...just a word here if you have any loaded up and plan on long term storage store them primer up...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Online Madgomer

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 05:58:42 PM »
Ok TT, you got me curious now, what happens if you don't store them primer up?
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 10:02:08 PM »
My guess would be that the moly possibly migrates down into the powder and messes it up.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 07:17:19 AM »
Louie - the moly is baked or impregnated into the bullet...I have used them many years ago and the moly coating does have a solid feel to it. I would not think the moly migrates down into the powder....The Molydisulphide adheres to metal under temperature and pressure, actually melding into the pores of the metal. It is a lubricant and will smooth you barrel's surface, thus giving you a little more velocity for a given charge. But it is a pain to clean.

Some folks will swear by them with the extra velocity you will get out of the bullet and the permanent coating of your barrel through shooting it thousands of times....in order to moly coat a barrel you have to start shooting moly coated bullets. Every round will coat just a little farther down the bore every time until the moly is coated to the muzzle. Moly bullets are great IF thats all you shoot. Mixing the use of moly with the use of un-coated will have you constantly adding and taking away from your moly coating in your barrel. I find no real accuracy difference between moly and "un-moly", only a difference in how quickly your barrel heats up and the number of shots it takes before your accuracy falls off from fouling and barrel heat (that is why I like short heavy barrels). Moly acts as a friction eliminator. Molybdenumdisulfide is a fine powder used most commonly in dry lube for door locks and mold releases. And is a great bullet lube for extended shooting sessions or competition. This is where the heating process comes into play....Using moly bullets you might want to think about getting you a Lyman or Hawkeye bore scope to check the inside of your barrel.....

If you are a weekend paper puncher like me or a regular guy that likes to shoot at deers or hogs once or twice a year them I would stick with conventional un-coated bullets. If you shoot competitions or are shooting prairie dogs by the hundreds then by all means go moly. Just remember, its a grueling process to get in there and a grueling process to get out. When you consider the relatively short barrel life of certain rifle chamberings the wasted shots getting a good coating could be better spent shooting good groups or killing game...

So in conclusion, if you start shooting moly bullets, you need to keep shooting them for many rounds to see the advantage, but if you just a weekend shooter or hunter, you need to stick with no-moly bullets. With today's market you might have trouble finding moly coated bullets! so think about it and let us all know which way you will go....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:20:08 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 09:03:04 AM »
Actually migration is the reason I said that...maybe we let the ammo set to long in a non-temp controlled storage, I do know that 7 out of 20 failed this was from 1 box of reloads...same batch if powder primers etc. non molly all fired without any misfires...many years later an armor for a local police force said they had the same problem with assorted rifle ammo that had ends that were molly coat...they started storing them primer up...and no further problems or misfires...might have been bad batches (poorly coated) or maybe not...I have never done a specific controlled study on molly coated vs non coated rounds nor have I broken them down to compare burn rates of stored ammo stored in both positions...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Online Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 07:18:12 PM »
Thanks for the followup TT - I have not heard that before but will keep it in mind if I try those bullets out.  Based on everyone's feedback I think I'll skip the idea entirely, at least while I'm still shooting at the current rate.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad