New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: scopes  (Read 489 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: scopes
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:58 PM »
YARI    to get out to 600 yards really isn't that hard. My favorite hunting scope is the Leupold VX3-   4.5-14x40 CDS. This is the 1st scope I did a custom turret for. The scope is very accurate out to 800 yards and it doesn't have an adjustable objective that has to be fine tuned for all yardages either. I have this scope mounted on a 7mm Rem mag that is my rifle of choice when hiking or climbing in the mountains. The rifle, scope, 9 rounds of ammo and a rubber sling weigh in at a little over 8 pounds. The scope sits low over the barrel and fits in a scabbard nicely. This is just my opinion but I don't think the big scope tubes and huge objectives are necessary. I can easily see and shoot before it is legal with this scope. Again this is just my opinion and it boils down to personal preference more then anything.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 09:15:10 PM »
thx notsams. i don't think being able to shoot out to 600 will be hard. the hard part is finding a place to practice at 600+. when i go to SD there is endless shooting. the ranges around here only go to 200 if they are lucky. it's pretty bad
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 06:37:03 PM »
Flint - Good Sound advice...always check optics in person...Back when I lived in Norcross, Georgia, visited David's Gun Room several times per week and had the chance to looked through many scopes and binoculars from many different manufacturers.....and bought a lot of my Optics from Dave...Back in the 80's looked through a military grade Lieca Binoculars that were back then $3000. They had a Rangefinder Built in for 9,999 yards and could tell you the what your heading was, all built into the display....Never heard of Lieca before. Also looked through my first Ziess and Swarovski Scopes there as well....could not afford them! They were way out of my budget back then...Wow, but they had outstanding clarity and sharpness. Amazing optics....but bought mostly Leupold's back then.

After moving around (the USA) alot, I started buying sight unseen optics viva mail order, like Ziess and Swarovski, there was no Internet back then...I have never been disappointed. Only if I don't buy good quality optics. The Nightforce SHV scope bought at Bubba's right there on the Alabama/Tennessee Line did I get a chance to look through the scope!! It was amazing....But all these binoculars that I bought this past 2 years, I have never stepped into a store. A good example of that are Vortex Binoculars and Scopes. Read a good article (and yes I know that the magazines are only there to sell advertisers products) on Vortex so I decided to buy an original Crossfire I, 6.5-20X from Optic Planet ...Wow was I impressed..Today I have a bunch of Vortex and never look back on buying them.

I can say that one of my favorite spotting scopes I bought used. A Leupold Gold Ring Spotting scope 12-40X x 50mm is one of my favorites and it is clear as a bell..small compact but bought it sight unseen....

But you got to be careful, you can get bite very hard and it will cost you extra money to get it fixed unless it is a Leupold, If I buy a used Leupold, will send it back to the factory and let them give it the once over and get it back within a couple of weeks like it was brand new scope.....Just be careful and stick to the quality driven manufacturer....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 11 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »
Yari - I have the same situation. I found the speed of my bullet. Sighted in at 200 yards. Calculated bullet drop and wind drift.  Created an excel spreadsheet. Used this when I was pdog hunting in SD. Worked well.

Good info Bo. I bought a Vortex spotting scope a couple of years ago. Went to Vortex store next to factory to check out their scopes. Great experience.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »
Yari - Glad you enjoyed your spotting scope, I got their Razor line which is almost as clear as the old Swarovski and is as sharp as the Ziess is.....Set them all on 30X and glanced at the targets at the range at 200 yards away...the Swarovski was the best, I thought someone was shooting at my target but it turned out to be a fly on the target..LOL..that is how good the Spotting scopes are today...Bought all three just from their reputation along....

I want to go back to Flint's comment about always check the optics in person....That is a very true statement on less known optics...about 10 years there was a sports shop that sold golf and hunting gear and they announced that they were going out of business!! What a shock, but all they were doing was consolidating stores from 3 to 1 store...they were selling off all items at big discounts...There was a stack of less known optics called Hunter Ridge, 10X x 40mm binoculars marked down from $99.99 to $29.99, Yea I was interested at that price. They had 22 pairs left and I looked through every one of them until I found the right pair, 3 of the pair were selected and I whittled them down to the one pair I keep in the truck today...this pair was head and shoulders about the other 21 pairs that I looked through.....

You might want to expand that excel spreadsheet (Your Dope Sheet) to include wind to 30 MPH and distances out to 600 yards...That is exactly what I did and taped them to the inside of my butt stock when I went out west for my Antelope hunt. The wind is always blowing out there, always....

Attached are my Four Favorite Spotting Scopes
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 11 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad