New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: scopes  (Read 728 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
scopes
« on: February 08, 2018, 05:16:17 PM »
i'm getting close to buying a long range scope. Tract finally unveiled their 4x20x50 toric. i was surprised by the price tag. over $1100. since it's a factory direct company, i thought it would come in $300-400 less

now i'm thinking of other options. for that price i could get a swaro 5, nightforce svh, huskemaw,  scope on sale. plus, i can handle and look through these scope before i buy them. my cousin is nuts for the huskemaw scope. what are your opinions? 500-600 yards would be max

i've heard huskemaw is made buy nightforce. true?

'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Re: scopes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:24:39 PM »
Huskemaw 4-16x42mm Blue Diamond Riflescope $1,249.00. This one should be more than enough for your ranges.

The 5-20x50mm Blue Diamond Riflescope runs $1,449.00. Remeber the 50mm will raise your over bore height.

Here's the write up from OpticsPlanet page (I've blue fonted the highlights and concerns):

Product Info for Huskemaw 4-16x42mm Blue Diamond Riflescope
The Huskemaw Blue Diamond 4-16x42mm Hunter's Riflescope offers a versatile magnification range that works with a wide range of calibers. These Riflescopes from Huskemaw have an adjustable zero stop feature for repeatable accuracy. Huskemaw Blue Diamond Rifle Scopes come equipped with a Huntsmart reticle and offer the option to order a customized RFBC turret based on your caliber, rifle type and other details. Order a water resistant, fogproof, shockproof Huskemaw Blue Diamond 4-16x42mm Hunting Riflescope today.

Specifications for Huskemaw 4-16x42mm Blue Diamond Riflescope:
Magnification:   Range 4 - 16 x
Objective Lens Diameter:   42 mm
Reticle:   Huntsmart Reticle(seems to be uncluttered and simple to understand)  @--0--0117
Tube Diameter:   30 mm :)
Adjustment Click Value:   .333 MOA :(
Weight:   22 oz
Field of View:   Range 6.3 - 24.4 ft at 100 yds
Length:   13.7 in
Color:   Black
Reticle Focal Plane:   Second Plane ;)
Features of Huskemaw Blue Diamond 4-16x42mm Hunting Riflescope 10416BD:
Patented RFBC Turret System with HuntSmart Reticle.
Glass etched second focal plane reticle protected between 2 layers of glass.
Fast-Focus Eyepiece.
Cement bedded lenses to withstand large caliber recoil.
Adjustable parallax knob.
Heavy-duty aircraft aluminum body.
Fog-proof; Shock-proof; water resistant construction. :)
High Density Lens Coating.
Titanium turret spring with indefinite shape-memory.
Adjustable zero stop. :)
Lifetime Warranty. ;D

Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline yari

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:43:57 PM »
dutch- are you saying of the 4 scopes i mentioned, you would buy the huskemaw given glass and functionality?

i was told you ship your gun out huskemaw and they will completely set it up and find out the best bullets performance. that's all part of the purchase
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:56:25 AM »
You used Huskemaw more so I assumed that's the way you were leaning even if subconsciously.  ##$%#1119

I'd never have anyone set up a weapon for me. I guess back to my old ways but I only trust me.

My first choice optics is always Schmidt-Bender then the group of 5 is pretty much all equal. I've been using Konus to find out how well a rifle will perform before I decide what scope it needs or merits. Hate to spend 3-7 grand on a gun that would be better served as a garden stake.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »
ouch. i'm in the wrong tax bracket for a schmidt-bender scope
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:36 PM »
Me too Yari.  It's not fair that others can have one, shouldn't the government be obligated to give them to us slackers?
 --099-780 ##$%#114 @--0--0105
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »
I have used Konus for years. I think it's a good scope for the money. I shot my buck this year. He was 90 yards away walking in the woods. Have shot over a thousand pdogs using Konus. Longest  known kill 621 yards.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 08:11:26 PM »
Me too Yari.  It's not fair that others can have one, shouldn't the government be obligated to give them to us slackers?
 --099-780 ##$%#114 @--0--0105

maybe you should postpone retirement for a couple more year and you could get one --099-780 --099-780 i'm sure that's going to happen @--0--0105

fun to dream though @--0--0100
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 09:09:57 PM »
There ain't a scope in the world that would entice me to work another year or two - nice try Yari!
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 10:12:45 PM »
There ain't a scope in the world that would entice me to work another year or two - nice try Yari!

i don't blame you a bit. i wish i could pull the plug. still scared of health insurance costs. need to grow portfolio

personally, i don't know if i could spend that kind of money for a scope. i don't shoot enough anymore. bowbunting is more peaceful. i do like long range bow shooting. i just don't have room to reach out 600 yards w/ a gun. it would be fun though
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »
I'm right there with you Yari, I would probably think differently if I had an opportunity to shoot much beyond about 200 yds.  Maybe if we end up following the kids to Kansas I could trade off our place in Illinois for some nice open Kansas land with room for some longer range toys. Will keep Dutch's list of favorite brands in mind if that happens.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 06:30:13 AM »
Yari - You might want to consider a couple of more, Vortex and Athlon both off pretty good scope for under $500....Nikon also makes a good scope for the money....then of course there is Leupold! I own 4 VX6 scopes and love them but the price was an ouch!! for a guy who lives on a fixed income price versus quality equals everything! If you are looking for a grand for a scope, you got to be looking at Leupold VX6 and Nightforce SHV. Nikon has a good scope for right at a grand....

I won a couple of Konus, but never had any luck with them, just me, they looked like a fine well built scope, at least my two, but to much black ring in the scope when you look through it...on both of them....

Like Dutch, I have always set my own scope on my rifles. Sure I have a couple of Leupold CDS caps set up on a couple of my long distance calibers/rifles and thought about getting some custom made after market turrets for some of my scopes, but decided against it.....

Forgot to mention that I do own one S-B, 3-9X x 40mm, bought it many years ago when I was working a ton of OT....bought it off of Ebay for $900, it was used of course.....

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:40:31 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »
thx bo. i spent most of the day looking at reviews and scope specs. it seems a lot of LR shooters and competition shooters are going to the 1st focal plane scopes. i think i will stay w/ the 2nd focal plane

i'm going to also stay w/ the t-plex and use the turrets instead of the BDS systems. i'm on the fence on custom turrets. i think w/ a little math, i will use the turret provided to set my own. we'll see

i'm undecided if i want a on a 42mm or 50mm objective. w/ the quality of glass, do i really need a 50mm? @--0--0117 the price isn't that big of a difference, so that's not an issue

top power will be 14x to 16x. i could go to 20x, but really don't need it

for the ranges i'll be shooting, it doesn't appear the 1" tube or a 30mm makes a big difference. i was surprised to read that some 30mm US made tubes(leo was one of them!!) use the same guts as a 1" tube. it's smoke screens and mirrors

i have to say, the info i found on the internet was very good. opinions in some cases for sure, but overall helpful. this is one time i'm glad i'm not completely disconnected @--0--0105
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 10:57:56 AM »
Always check optics in person. I found my eyes preferred Sawrvoski over Zeiss when I bought my 8x30 and 10x42 from Swarvoski.

My Leupold 3x9x50mm has dine me well since I got them in the mid-90ís

Once I move to Florida and see if I can find places to rifle hunt in FL or GA , then I may consider a newer scope. Even on Leupold, the glass and coatings have improved over the years I believe
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »
Always check optics in person. I found my eyes preferred Sawrvoski over Zeiss when I bought my 8x30 and 10x42 from Swarvoski.

My Leupold 3x9x50mm has dine me well since I got them in the mid-90ís

Once I move to Florida and see if I can find places to rifle hunt in FL or GA , then I may consider a newer scope. Even on Leupold, the glass and coatings have improved over the years I believe

glass has come a long way since the 90's
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad